Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]

Author Topic: Raids, Bombardments, and Planetary Defenses  (Read 60745 times)

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Raids, Bombardments, and Planetary Defenses
« Reply #165 on: August 29, 2018, 03:05:18 PM »

Just read Space Vikings; good book.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 29, 2018, 03:06:19 PM »

Excellent :D

Cik

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 30, 2018, 05:08:08 PM »

it's antimatter chief, i don't know if you could even make it stable (as it's instability is a fundamental physical property) anything that makes it stable would probably result in it being useless.

Voyager I

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 30, 2018, 08:55:22 PM »

What is your motivation for being this much of a contrarian?  Why are you acting this way?

The entire design process of the game has always been "identify desired player experience > design mechanics to promote that experience > come up with just enough lore to give a veneer of plausibility to those mechanics".  Starting an argument about how 'actually, this vaguely-defined futuristic space magic should work like this' is never going to result in meaningful changes to the game design because the design always takes priority over the technobabble and nobody is trying to get specific enough about how this stuff works to tell you how many Midichlorians a Hound has or whatever.

Embolism

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 31, 2018, 01:22:44 AM »

It's not even valid realism arguments either.

"Antimatter is fundamentally unstable" is meaningless technobabble. An unstable particle decays, antimatter is not more prone to decay than the equivalent normal matter is. To greatly, greatly simply things, antimatter and matter annihilate each other, but other than that antimatter behaves the same as normal matter; just with the opposite charge. It is already possible to contain antimatter by ensuring it doesn't get in contact with normal matter, e.g. with electromagnetic fields. Not a huge jump to containment through esoteric quantum fullerene physics (now that is technobabble).

imperialus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 01, 2018, 08:37:23 AM »

Excellent :D

Just wanted to pop in and say the Space Vikings reference caught my eye too.  I've got a dogeared copy that I've probably read more than a dozen times.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 01, 2018, 09:10:58 AM »

it's antimatter chief, i don't know if you could even make it stable (as it's instability is a fundamental physical property) anything that makes it stable would probably result in it being useless.

a vacuum. You suspend the antimatter in a vacuum vessel that makes it not touch the sides of the vessel -- this is actually already not that hard to do. It was in a dan brown book
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Deeplurker

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 01, 2018, 08:05:50 PM »

Looking nice.

If nobody's said it: PLEASE add an "are you sure" confirmation for bombardments.

Cik

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 01, 2018, 09:41:06 PM »

a vacuum. You suspend the antimatter in a vacuum vessel that makes it not touch the sides of the vessel -- this is actually already not that hard to do. It was in a dan brown book

that's not stable, that's just "not exploding at this very moment"

it makes it usable, but not exactly safe. strong jolt hits the canister? kaboom. power failure? kaboom. you get the picture.

Embolism

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 01, 2018, 11:12:41 PM »

esoteric quantum fullerene physics

*Waves hand* You can stop now. If you're starting to argue about the validity of antimatter containment, which is actually possible and theoretically scalable in real life, why aren't you arguing about hyperdrives and "drive fields" which have completely no basis in real world physics? You're just tunnelling into an ox's horn at this point.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 02, 2018, 01:46:20 AM »

that's not stable, that's just "not exploding at this very moment"

it makes it usable, but not exactly safe. strong jolt hits the canister?

not an issue, the suspended antimatter is repulsed by the walls of the canister, magnetically. Now, power failure is an interesting one but it wouldn't be hard to place the storage in the spine of the ship with the plant on a contained power circuit with a backup power source, self-feeding power source that will run the antimatter containment off of the antimatter until it runs out and then... has no more to blow up.
And that's assuming powered magnets are used, they don't need to be powered, all placed in the reactor so any shot that makes it that deep into the heart of the ship is probably a killshot anyway.
Also the containers could just be made of passive magnets, and the antimatter made out of a magnetically reactive element
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Embolism

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 02, 2018, 02:40:41 AM »

Since antimatter in StarSector is kept in fullerene shells it could simply be a proton shell caging antiprotons. Electrostatic forces keep them apart and it doesn't need an external power source.

As to how to get antiprotons into (and out of) their proton cages, well that's where eldritch Domain tech comes in, no? Some sort of quantum/phase tech that works on the same principles as the Phase Skimmer/Teleporter, for instance.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 02, 2018, 08:39:26 AM »

Antiprotons are negatively charged, so they would not be repelled by protons.

Embolism

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 03, 2018, 01:24:32 AM »

Antiprotons are negatively charged, so they would not be repelled by protons.

You're right. An anion shell is what I should've said.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]