Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: 4X elements in 0.9  (Read 4022 times)

matveich

• Ensign
    • View Profile
4X elements in 0.9
« on: September 20, 2018, 08:27:04 AM »

I cant imagine playing starfarerstarsector without nexerilin mod because it gives purpose for your massive fleet: outpost capture. So, are there going to be any 4X elements in 0.9 and beyond? Specifically:

1) Will we be able to build ships/weapons in 0.9? From raw resources to intermediate products to space ships. Similar to how X series allows you to be completely self-sufficient via production complexes and player HQ.
2) Will we be able to capture and control enemy outposts? I really want to have the ability to conquer the entire galaxy map and not rely on mods to do that.
3) Will we be able to create/control fleets? For example, order one of your officers to take some ships and defend an outpost on his own. Or maybe task him to do some hauling/trading for you.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 11:18:43 AM by matveich »

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: 4X elements in 0.9
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 09:15:55 AM »

I would like for Starsector to become something akin to a strategy in the late game, except letting me play these battles I find entertaining and autoresolving the rest, but it's not becoming that and there's not much you directly do with your colonies.
1) Yes, if you have blueprints and resources for it. I think that if your colony doesn't it imports them instead, but don't quote me on that. And it will be possible to order particular ships (and weapons? I can't remember) as well.
2) Not without mods.
3) Your faction just does its own thing most of the time. Colonies do make their own fleets and defend themselves, though.

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 09:30:36 AM »

While i'm not sure if it'll be Nexerilin scale, it'll get there eventually. However, i'm pretty sure that won't be in 0.9. But yes, fleet building will be a thing, same for engaging outposts and warring over them. The bigger point will be crafting real motivation for those end-game tools.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 10:22:56 AM »

It seems like player may be able to sat bomb colonies/markets into decivilized, so if player wants to go on a genocidal spree like the Kohr-Ah, that may be possible.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 03:55:16 PM »

i hate strategy games, I hope it never becomes a 4x game.
You know what my favorite strategy game was? Ultimate General Civil War. Total War style battles with no construction -- just war with the units you brought with you (or the reinforcements you set up before the battle), and then once the fight is over you get dumped to an army management screen where you replenish your troops and adjust equipment with money you made from your performance in the last battle and then click a button and boom into the next fight you go.
Not a single iota of resource gathering -- like Homeworld but the game just assumes your fleet mined the map dry after the fight. Genuinely refreshing. I hope SS never introduces resource farming
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Retry

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 04:46:36 PM »

That's odd and kind of unfortunate, it already 2 of the Xs (eXplore, eXploit) and will arguably have the other two (eXpand, eXterminate) in some form next patch. (Outpost-building and raiding your competition to oblivion)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 05:03:19 PM »

Like Deshara, I do not want this to evolve into a so-called strategy game.  Hope Starsector remains primarily an arcade-like shooter.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2018, 05:57:28 PM »

I would like more strategy elements, but we all want different things. It wouldn't bother me if it never went in that direction. I really want more story elements though, there's no point in absolute freedom if there is no reason to do anything. Hopefully once alex nails down the core mechanics, he will begin adding that sort of content.

matveich

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2018, 12:44:34 AM »

You know what my favorite strategy game was? Ultimate General Civil War. Total War style battles with no construction -- just war with the units you brought with you (or the reinforcements you set up before the battle), and then once the fight is over you get dumped to an army management screen where you replenish your troops and adjust equipment with money you made from your performance in the last battle and then click a button and boom into the next fight you go.
Not a single iota of resource gathering -- like Homeworld but the game just assumes your fleet mined the map dry after the fight. Genuinely refreshing. I hope SS never introduces resource farming

It's all about player's choice. A lot of sandbox games doesn't contain a strategic layer, so there is practically no late game activities. In my opinion a good sandbox needs to contain 4X elements, so a player can keep playing even after he has reached max level and gathered massive fleet. If you don't want to play a strategy game, you don't have to.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2018, 05:06:53 AM »

The game can have a strategic goal (like destroy everything in the sector, destroy the Sa-Matra and the Ur-Quan guards).  It does not necessarily need the complex resource micromanagement and reliance of unit commands to do it like in 4x games.