Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Rename the Pirate 'Faction' to something less Pirate-y  (Read 6216 times)

Unreal_One

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Rename the Pirate 'Faction' to something less Pirate-y
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2018, 08:12:35 PM »

That's what I mean by the "Space is an ocean types", the Long John Silver robots with inexplicable hooks and peg legs.

Though Long Silver John would be a great name for a space pirate robot.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2018, 11:15:10 PM »

Outlaw is a status, not a faction.
that's my point, yeah. you breaking the law doesn't seem like it should automatically get you on good terms with everyone else who also routinely breaks or evades the law in any manner.

technically being a pirate may also at some point have been just a status, but they've effectively become a group or a specific way of life in popular culture. hence it feels like a player choosing to be a pirate should be able to join the pirate 'faction', even if the background lore (not to mention gameplay) disagrees with that.

there are various "outlaw" factions in popular culture as well, but much fewer, and usually even less unified or organized than pirates.

right buuut breaking the law doesn't get you on the good side of the pirates/outlaws. They're just a faction of people on the wrong side of the people who are considered to be "the law" locally
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2018, 01:08:56 AM »

Even if you put space pirate, you could still have squid or bug Jack Sparrow (wearing classic pirate attire) with a robot parrot in a spaceship pushing people out the airlock.

No matter when and where you are in fiction, Jack Sparrow or other Age of Sail pirate will reskin themselves to fit.  You could be in the ocean during the Stone Age, and caveman pirate wearing his eyepatch would be out there screaming "ARRR!" while riding his Flintstones-style boat.

I don't think Flintstones float but I kinda get what you mean.

It's more about a product's style and customer group, to make it more close to reality or fantasy(yeah I'm saying those so-called pop culture on fantasy side).
So far I'm seeing more fantasy advocates so maybe just leave it be.

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.

Unreal_One

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2018, 10:34:55 AM »

The problem as I see it is that Alex is using the faction to include things that really stretch the meaning of the word. For instance, rebel groups and deserters wouldn't be associated with "Pirates" in the mind of anyone, even people who are most familiar with real life piracy, but are contained in that umbrella in the current system.

Maybe a broader faction name would make it work, like "Pirates, Outlaws, and Warlords"?

Inventor Raccoon

• Captain
  • Digging through trash for a hydroflux catalyst
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2018, 08:15:30 AM »

I don't think it really matters if rebels and deserters are folded in with "pirates" because at the moment the Umbra rebels are effectively pirates (if they were mechanically separate I think it would be better to give them their own faction instead of trying to fold more mechanics into the pirate faction) and deserters are just a type of more difficult bounty target.
Pages: 1 [2]