Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Price packaging  (Read 2738 times)

facc00

• Commander
    • View Profile
Price packaging
« on: July 24, 2018, 12:23:22 AM »

So alot of us have already purchased the game.  Can we pay more for extras?  Alot of games out there have name in game or skins, ships ect.  It would be nice to be able to buy special content.  I for one would like to be a fearsome NPC pirate that shows up sometimes and wrecks peoples day!

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
Re: Price packaging
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 01:46:53 AM »

Buy a second copy for a friend?

Shrugger

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 04:37:32 AM »

DLC is cancer.

DLC forces content to be split into completely disjointed bits that have nothing to do with each other.

DLC makes developers focus on drip-feeding easily rehashed content into their game instead of refining core mechanics or doing necessary but invisible under-the-hood work.

I'd rather Alex just make a cut at some point (shortly before the game stops selling enough, I guess) and work on Starsector 2.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 05:28:57 AM »

DLC is just another name for Expansion, and are perfectly fine when done right. And when a game is moddable, DLC/expansions tend to be worthwhile.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 06:01:39 AM »

Don't feel like thinking over what kind of DLC or bonus content I'd like/dislike right now, but in general I'd hope that Alex doesn't/won't consider weird monetisation features until the game reaches a feature-complete stage.

Shrugger

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 07:16:39 AM »

Even at their best, expansions or DLC are inferior to continuous development or just making a straight sequel.

Look at any Paradox Game, or AI War - the game ends up cluttered with disjointed systems that work in complete isolation from one another. Menu is heaped on menu, resource on resource, because they can only be balanced by keeping them apart from one another, since you cannot be sure which ones players buy or leave out.

And if the slipperly slope is slid down, necessary maintenance work and rebalancing that should have been in the base game is then moved into DLC, and the vanilla experience degrades over time. And even if DLC is limited to adding content instead of adding systems, what does that say about the content? Is it meaningless padding, re-hashing preexisting content? Or is it actually game-changing? If the latter, why is it not in the base game?

You can make an argument for DLC as massive sidegrades that completely change the nature of the game in ways that not all players may desire and should thus be optional, but then you essentially split the game and the developer's attention in two. Not a good deal, long-term.

A single-seat studio like Alex should not split its attention thus. I strongly recommend that the game be kept in one single piece - and, if it seems sound in terms of marketing, with a sequel in the far future.

Morbo513

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2018, 08:58:25 AM »

I don't think he's talking about additional playable content ie expansions/DLC, but something like a supporter's edition where you get some custom paintjob. And I still don't agree with the practice really. Something like your name as an NPC would be fairly harmless but then the only NPCs you meet on more than one occasion are base staff.
If you really want to get something in return for greater expenditure towards the game, how about the gratitude of a friend who might really enjoy it?

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2018, 10:46:00 AM »

Best ways to help:
Tell lots of people
Buy copies for people
When the game gets listed on steam buy a new copy and leave a review.  Reviews from people that didn't buy the game on Steam are given less weight.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2018, 01:05:56 PM »

DLC is just another name for Expansion, and are perfectly fine when done right. And when a game is moddable, DLC/expansions tend to be worthwhile.
Not to mention splatbooks for pen-and-paper games.

Some game sequels are practically mods for the original game/engine, especially before the days of widespread Internet.  Think about all of the Street Fighter 2 sequels (if you are old enough).

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2018, 10:26:34 AM »

If you're feeling generous you can buy some copies for my friends. :P I don't feel too hot for DLCs, mostly because they tend to be done half assed and I'd rather have Alex do something actually substantial.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2018, 10:49:44 AM »

I've already bought a few copies, suggested it to just about anybody who I thought would hear my spiel, etc.  ;)
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack