Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Multiple carriers  (Read 4809 times)

Adjutant

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Multiple carriers
« on: March 01, 2012, 06:36:43 PM »

i found that fighters will only use one carrier for all repairs and alienate any other ships that can repair fighters. Several fighters will stack up on the same carrier awaiting repairs when there is an empty one ready to go not 2 feet away.

not sure if this is intentional

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple carriers
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 06:57:34 PM »

i noticed this kind of action as well. but let me expand with my observations

1. it seems fighter/bomber class ships will only go to the closest carrier when they need to
2. they will not re-direct to another carrier if one exists and it would get them repaired/re-armed faster while en route
3. they will use more than one carrier currently but only if it follows observation #1.
4. once at the carrier if there is a line they also will not re-direct to another carrier.
5. while waiting to dock at a carrier fighters/bombers will not do anything to try and keep themselves alive.
Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.

evil713

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 11:51:24 PM »

this issue scares me 1. for the fact that it makes multple carriers semi-bad idea 2. if we ever get a wide area effect weapon there could be a total wipe of light forces.

MidnightSun

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 01:09:10 AM »

I've noticed this as well in my continuing quest to try to acquire an Astral. In the meantime, I've been relying on 2 Odysseys and 1 Condor to provide the same flight decks as 1 Astral, but it just doesn't seem optimized that way. Improvements in the handling of the 4 points that arwan listed would be very welcome indeed.

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 04:10:29 PM »

Just steal borrow an elite carrier from the tachyons if you're playing the campaign they have 3 decks.

MidnightSun

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 04:15:25 PM »

That's the idea. I've never gotten a boardable one though, and I'm reluctant to mod/hack/edit it in.