Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Ran out of "buffer elements" when taking a screenshot of the missions screen  (Read 1525 times)

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile

This is definitely a weird one, and I know that because MesoTroniK responded with "wat" when I showed him the error.  ???

Situation: I've just been setting up a new experimental mod environment. All it has at present is a mod_info.json file; some empty folders right where they should be; an as-yet unused sprite; and a single mission which uses only stock ships, with nothing fancy whatsoever in it at all.

I was displaying progress to MesoTroniK via Discord as I'm working on this, and started the game with the new mod environment running to check that the mission was loading correctly. It was, so I pressed the screenshot key to take a snapshot of the mission details screen.

The game immediately crashed, giving the following error:

The log was not much more helpful:

Code
... 126868 [Thread-10] INFO  sound.oo0O  - Creating streaming player for music with id [miscallenous_main_menu.ogg]
126869 [Thread-10] INFO  sound.OooO  - Playing music with id [miscallenous_main_menu.ogg]
126915 [Thread-8] INFO  sound.OOoOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO  - Creating music buffer #1
127603 [Thread-4] INFO  org.histidine.chatter.combat.ChatterCombatPlugin  - Chatter plugin initialized
131437 [Thread-VC-Main] INFO  exerelin.utilities.versionchecker.VersionChecker  - Local Starsector version is Starsector 0.8.1a-RC8, latest known is Starsector 0.8.1a-RC8
131491 [Thread-VC-Main] INFO  exerelin.utilities.versionchecker.VersionChecker  - Checked game and 7 mods in 4.745 seconds
141793 [Thread-8] INFO  sound.oo0O  - Cleaning up music with id [miscallenous_main_menu.ogg]
141923 [Thread-10] INFO  sound.oo0O  - Creating streaming player for music with id [miscallenous_main_menu.ogg]
141923 [Thread-10] INFO  sound.OooO  - Playing music with id [miscallenous_main_menu.ogg]
142364 [Thread-4] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Number of remaining buffer elements is 746000, must be at least 4196352. Because at most 4196352 elements can be returned, a buffer with at least 4196352 elements is required, regardless of actual returned element count
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Number of remaining buffer elements is 746000, must be at least 4196352. Because at most 4196352 elements can be returned, a buffer with at least 4196352 elements is required, regardless of actual returned element count
at org.lwjgl.BufferChecks.throwBufferSizeException(BufferChecks.java:162)
at org.lwjgl.BufferChecks.checkBufferSize(BufferChecks.java:189)
at org.lwjgl.BufferChecks.checkBuffer(BufferChecks.java:258)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.GL11.glReadPixels(GL11.java:2466)
at com.fs.starfarer.util.o0OO.o00000(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.BaseGameState.traverse(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.state.AppDriver.begin(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain.main(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

... And it didn't take the screenshot either.  :-\

Modlist - Only the highlighted elements, as well as the [REDACTED] mod, are those running:

Spoiler

[close]

I tried to reproduce this several times, and have been unable to. Screenshots are now being saved perfectly fine, and yes the mission itself works and plays with no issues whatsoever. I have genuinely no idea what caused this or even what the error means - any help or advice much appreciated, as it's freaking me out a little!  :-[

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

That's weird. Would happen if the screenshot buffer (i.e. the memory where the game copies the screen contents before writing them to a file) was too small for the screen. But that shouldn't be possible, in theory.

Is there any kind of display scaling by the OS going on? The fact that it was a one-off makes it seem like it might have been some sort of glitch.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile

Is there any kind of display scaling by the OS going on?

I'm afraid I'm not sure what that means, but I haven't been playing with any graphics settings lately if it's something to do with that. It definitely seemed like a fluke crash either way.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

Hmm, alright. (I meant stuff like where you tell windows to make everything 150% bigger and whatnot...)

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile

Ah, no I haven't done anything like that. The vast majority of my settings are defaults.