Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Marines, the good, the better and the best.  (Read 8725 times)

blackfang

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Marines, the good, the better and the best.
« on: March 01, 2012, 05:44:24 PM »

So i was thinking, would it be possible to have different kind of marines just like crew. I was thinking somewhere along this line, first you got some kind of militia marine and vastly favored unit for independant ships and factions. They can be upgraded with a facility or special ship? Along with an armor set? which can become a normal marine with no powerarmor. They would be the mainstay of most major factions if not all. Hegemonian marines and Tri-Tach marines. You know the drill, regular trained soldiers. Then with a powerarmor? and a facility or special ship? you can train some marines with battleexperience? Or no battle experience? to make "Elite?" "Heavy?" or "Whatever other term deemed appropriate" Marine. You can always hire marines already trained to that lvl but they would be rarer then the militia marines you find everywhere.

This will make for a little more immersion, it would also be cool to scale the combat strength of the different units according to their numbers. Meaning that for instance 1 elite can't fight 10 militia men but 100 elite marines can take on 1000 if not more militia without much problem. The prices would ofcourse increase a bit and a healthy mixture of troops could feed this a bit to make it cheaper to get a slightly higher combat capability for your marines. Meaning their usefulness increases as the soldiers increase, for instance 1 elite and 2 militia against 5-7 regular marines, they could win where perhaps 1 elite and 1 regular could not even tough the regular might be 1.5 the strength of a militia or more.

I haven't really given it an in depth consideration but it would be extremely cool to have different troops for different abilities and perhaps uses as well:P Could go as far as to add heavy weapons marines and medics but that would be too much work and too many variations i believe.

So thats my suggestion, hope you like it. If anyone got any thoughts please expand on this:)

blackfang

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Marines, the good, the better and the best.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 11:19:43 AM »

Bump since i got no replies. I would like to add to the elite and 2 militia being better then elite and a regular. A regular can be two times as powerful as a militia and still lose against two militia simply because of the additional bonus. Basically, numbers win a war just as skill does. A 100 000 militia might be able to defend against 20-30 k elites whereas they may have close to no chance attacking them. Its a lot of variables i know but i believe in the immersion this would cause. Its not a must for it to be accepted tough i like the game nonetheless. It would just be coolxD

j01

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 11:31:32 AM »

Why stop there?

Downscale marines and make them entirely personalized and customizable.

It shouldn't take that many trained professionals to take over a ship of poorly prepared, nonmilitary, probably mostly unarmed personnel, anyway.

So instead of hundreds, let's have marines counted in the dozens, starting at green rank, and let us customize their armor and weapons and training, and build them up over time. Think x-com (UFO: enemy unknown), but with the actual combat offscreen. Give them random names and let us nickname them, too.

Making us work specifically to outfit our marines in power armor and such to increase their survivability so that they make it to higher ranks would be pretty awesome, and I think it could be all be pulled off without detracting from the main gameplay at all. Also, extra cash sinks are never a bad thing, imo.

blackfang

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 11:37:12 AM »

That would be enough content for an entire expansion pack. I would pay!!!

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 11:39:32 AM »

Expansion pack already? The game is only in alpha :D

blackfang

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 11:51:16 AM »

Yeah, but with all that he could do an expansion pack:D Of course other stuff got priorities but i would love to see that kind of marines, along with just the same kind of crew. I would love to see a deck scrubber becoming the scrubber chief and then advance to section chief and after an unlucky battle being advanced to captain of the vessel:D That would be way cool!

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 11:55:18 AM »

A deck scrubber captain??! That would be amazing :D

blackfang

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 11:57:00 AM »

It would be epic to have a ship entirely dedicated to scrubbing other shipsxD Making your fleet look shiny before battles:D

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 12:04:37 PM »

Makes one wonder how to swab outer hulls in space? :D

blackfang

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 12:28:25 PM »

Thats easy, you buy slaves, give them suits and tell them that one kilometer is supposed to be done before they get to refuel their oxygen and it needs to be done good or they will have to do it again with half a tank of oxygen. Highly effective workforce:D

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 12:30:02 PM »

I see. I guess there will be bodies floating around? :D

blackfang

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 12:43:58 PM »

Of course, unless you have a fighter wing with waxers:P

Wriath

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 12:54:39 PM »

Not if they hurry up about it.

blackfang

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 12:55:54 PM »

Not if they hurry up about it.
also that ::)

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 01:12:04 PM »

I really wonder if those ships really will be shiny when they are disabled hulks? If they are, then those slaves must be rewarded with an.... Extra air tank.
Pages: [1] 2 3