Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 34

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] Sylphon RnD 1.0  (Read 336695 times)

Bastion.Systems

• Captain
  • Special Circumstances LCU
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9a] Sylphon RnD 0.9.2
« Reply #120 on: December 23, 2018, 03:48:30 AM »

I really appreciate your efforts to up the quality of the ships.

Ravenholme

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 23, 2018, 04:12:20 AM »

I just wish I didn't update this mod.
If an update breaks a save please make a noticeable notice next to the download button.
Now I lost days/weeks of my life because the save game won't load again.
Now I kinda lost motivation to start all over again where I left off.
/...

Adding some fancy new things and removing some things that weren't really needed anymore.

this patch will break saves due to removals

Download can be found in the first post as always
…/
I consider that pretty clearly labelled. Sure, it could have been red-colored too, but the info was clearly there.

Yeah, I mean, they have no one to blame but themselves if they didn't read the post about the update. And, as Ishman said, general rule of thumb should be to consider any update to a mod that adds content as save-breaking unless otherwise stated

etherealblade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 23, 2018, 08:10:52 PM »

I love this mod/faction and an I'm really enjoying the changes and updates. A unique station is pretty much the only thing left other than the other goodies you want to put in that we don't know about. I never mind restarting. There are mods to help jump get roughly back where we were anyway in the case of a broken save.  ;D
Spoiler

[close]

solardawning

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 24, 2018, 11:26:46 AM »

@Nia_Tahl
In your latest version, I found a blueprint for the special Equilibrium variant "Balance Unto All".
However, it can't be built- it stays on the custom production list forever being constructed again and again without creating the ship.

Nia Tahl

• Admiral
  • AI in disguise
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 24, 2018, 02:25:19 PM »

There shouldn't be a blueprint for that available in the first place. Will be fixed.
My mods: Tahlan Shipworks - ScalarTech Solutions - Trailer Moments
It's all in the presentation

solardawning

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 24, 2018, 02:27:59 PM »

There shouldn't be a blueprint for that available in the first place. Will be fixed.

Blueprint for it (and later, the Cleve synastry cruiser) both came out of tech mining.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 24, 2018, 07:03:45 PM »

- Reworked Valestri to fit the Okarra's now vacant role as anvil
The Valestri's description still mentions its previous nullspace shunt system.

- Lowered Dread Eagle's dissipation from 750 to 500 and increased flux capacity from 10000 to 16000 (This is an experimental change to more firmly establish the Dread Eagle as a hit-and-run skirmisher.
I'm seeing the Dread Eagle at 10,000 flux capacity and 600 dissipation.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Hazard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 25, 2018, 01:47:28 AM »

Seems like a great mod, so far. Nice job!  ;)

But, is it just me, or is the Silverhead's engine sound a lot louder compared to vanilla ships? I'm not sure if it really stands out in combat, but in the simulator it seemed very noticeable.

Starareo

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 25, 2018, 12:11:04 PM »

Love the mod, just one question. Is it intended that the Enochian can't be mounted by any Sylphon ships or have I missed something? None of the capitals at least seem able to accomodate large ballistics.

Nicke535

• Commander
  • Degenerate Core
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 26, 2018, 01:59:14 AM »

Love the mod, just one question. Is it intended that the Enochian can't be mounted by any Sylphon ships or have I missed something? None of the capitals at least seem able to accomodate large ballistics.

This is more or less intended. The Enochian isn't a "normal" gun, and has only been added in its current state to allow people to use it and give some feedback on it (but it isn't intended to work on most Sylphon ships); it will be acquired differently once I get to properly implementing it.

Kittah Khan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 28, 2018, 05:55:13 AM »

Equipping the prototype nullpoint shields and ship & weapon pack's shield bypass causes a crash in the refit screen, not exactly a priority, but I thought you might want to know.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 10:41:21 AM by Kittah Khan »

solardawning

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 28, 2018, 09:52:25 AM »

Some feedback on the Metafalica vs the Replekia and vanilla ships. It's not intended as criticism, but an insight into what I'm thinking while trying to make builds with it that feel good to play:

The Metafalica feels extremely OP-starved. I'm guessing what you were going for was to subtract the cost of its' built-in large weapons from its' usable OP total, but the result is that it's difficult to give it anywhere near the same hullmod loadout as other capital ships, since the cost on capital hullmods is so high. They're balanced around ships with ~360 OP, while the Metafallica weighs in at 250.

Compare to the Onslaught: it also has two powerful built in weapons, and has 360 OP to use, on a ship with 20 lower deploy and supply cost than the Metafalica.
The built in large weapons and the damage type shifting is really cool, but the weapons themselves have so low base damage I wish I could remove them and replace them with Large Energy mounts.
Damage per shot is king against armor. Switching the Metafalica's guns to Type 3 for anti-armor makes them only about as effective against armor as a plasma cannon, but overall much less as they become unable to keep the target's shields flux-capped.

I much prefer using the Replekia as a flagship- I can put large energy weapons in the two front mounts, use the rear large for a medium PD weapon, and it kills targets faster than the Metafalica can, while having more vastly more usable OP for hullmods, as I don't have to kit out the small slots with weapons to shore up damage. (Plus, pretty purple and pink)  

In my current game I've gotten the Metafalica before any other Sylpheon capital, so I've been using it a lot more than I normally would.

As a suggestion, I'd do something like this to make the Metafalica more flexible:
Remove built in rear weapon, replace with Large Hybrid slot.
Increase Metafallica's OP by 50.
Increase base damage and flux cost per shot on built-in weapons by 30%.

This would make the Metafallica's guns hit in a similar weight range to the Energy options available, and by refunding the cost of the rear slot plus another 26 OP, the player has a tiny bit more space to work with, can choose to use a different gun or PD in the rear for specialization.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 10:20:18 AM by solardawning »

Nicke535

• Commander
  • Degenerate Core
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 28, 2018, 10:45:21 AM »

Equipping the prototype nullpoint shields and ship & weapon pack's shield bypass cause a crash in the refit screen, not exactly a priority, but I thought you might want to know.

So the code triggers in that order... gotta take a look at how to fix that, since it'll happen for some other stuff too in that case. I added a failsafe but that one was for 0.8, so it most likely failed when updating to 0.9. Will probably get that fixed for next version.

Nia Tahl

• Admiral
  • AI in disguise
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 28, 2018, 03:11:06 PM »

As a suggestion, I'd do something like this to make the Metafalica more flexible:
Remove built in rear weapon, replace with Large Hybrid slot.
Increase Metafallica's OP by 50.
Increase base damage and flux cost per shot on built-in weapons by 30%.

Not gonna happen. The Metafalica is meant to be a broadsider and be used as such. Giving it even greater damage output than it has already would make the ship completely ridiculous considering it already has the ability to facetank just about anything with its passive ability and armour skills without ever needing shields. I'd also suggest using shock cannon mode against armour rather than Type-3 shells. Type-3 shells are primarily for PD purposes and don't apply their full damage against larger ships due their burst nature. The Shock cannons on the other hand apply their full damage, are decently effective against armour and provide EMP damage that can shut down most anything that relies on armour for defense. The Metafalica is already an incredibly powerful ship as is, being borderline OP.

Giving it more OP is also not a good idea as allowing it to easily mount certain hullmod combinations would make it nigh-invincible.
My mods: Tahlan Shipworks - ScalarTech Solutions - Trailer Moments
It's all in the presentation

solardawning

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 28, 2018, 03:25:48 PM »

Roger that. It's your mod, and I appreciate the work you've put into it and that you share it with the game community. I still find that the Replekia is better at all of the same use cases than the Metafalica, has more flexibility with hull mods, and can mount much more damaging weapons. If you don't have a problem with that, it's no problem to me either.

Edit:
Another bit of capital ship feedback. You may actually wish to consider boosting the Seresvalla's base burn to 9.
Using Local Soother lets the player get other fast capital ships' (and almost all cruisers) base burn speeds to 9, which is doubled by Sustained Burn. With Navigation 3, that caps a fleets' speed out at 20, so it's a mark I find I always shoot for on my fleets.
The Seresvalla can't use Local Soother though, and it's +1 Fleet Burn global buff isn't doubled by Sustained Burn. So paradoxically, if I bring a Seresvalla along instead of another capital with burn 8+Local Soother, it'd slow my fleet's Sustained Burn down from 20 to 19.
It's minor, but the seeing the Seresvalla might be more of a "wow, that's cool" moment if it stood out as the speedy burn capital like the Pirate Falcon does for cruisers.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 03:31:04 PM by solardawning »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 34