Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Cant play game in fullscreen mode only in windowed  (Read 2069 times)

DaddyO

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Cant play game in fullscreen mode only in windowed
« on: June 30, 2018, 02:31:41 PM »

Not sure if anyone can help with this as I am pretty sure it is my graphics card having issues even though I have reverted back several driver versions yet nothing seems to work for me.  I can load the game just fine in full screen mode at 1920x1020.  When I first tried Starsector I did not install any mods, went to tutorials and each time I tried to launch a tactical simulation the screen would go black could here sounds but no video.  So I exited the game went into 1600x900 windowed mode and no issues with black screen appearing thus I was able to complete the tutorials.  I then went back to full screen to start a new game and things looked fine until I tried to access the directory for missions the screen once again went black and could only use ESC key to get out of it.  So I tried to save the game, nope, same issues black screen when trying to choose and option on how to save the game.  

I have searched and searched the forum for anyone else having a possible same issue, I have found nothing and that is why I think the issue is my graphics card.  I have an Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 Ti, driver version 398.11 running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.  I have seen this similar issue with World of Tanks recently to, which is now really getting on my nerves.  If anyone can help me out that would be great if not I do understand.

I can run the game completely fine in Windowed mode at 1600x900 which is how I have been able to play this awesome game yet I would like to play it in full screen mode taking advantage of 25" LCD monitor I have.  If you need the log file I can post it yet when I looked at it myself it is over 50mb in size and I am running many mods now so not sure if it is mod related because like I said I have this issue in vanilla Starsector as well.

Thank you in advance. :-[

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Cant play game in fullscreen mode only in windowed
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 03:12:18 PM »

Hmm. One thing that comes to mind is, do you have multiple graphics cards on your computer? Sometimes there's an integrated graphics card on the motherboard (especially the case on laptops, which this doesn't sound like), and sometimes you need to tell the OS to use the "proper" dedicated graphics card for the game instead.

Also: do you have other software running, like Fraps, MSI Afterburner, any other kind of video capture, etc? That could possibly have this kind of impact.

If this started recently, and for another game as well, then it might be worth it to think what had changed on your system - that might help narrow down what the culprit is.

Temporarily disabling antivirus and/or running in administrator mode may also be worth a shot, but they're long shots here.

DaddyO

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2018, 07:51:19 PM »

Thanks Alex.  I only have the 1 graphics card there is no on board integrated video for my MSI motherboard.  I am now going to install the latest driver from Nvidia which I have put off for a week now because I have been hesitant with all this strange blank screen thing.  I know that Nvidia has a built in video capture function but I do not use it at all.  My life is not that intense for video games to warrant such craziness. Anyways a new driver came out on 6/26 from Nvidia so I will do the install for this and see what happens, even though I doubt it will work.  Thanks again.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 08:32:42 PM »

Hope that resolves it for you! Sorry I can't be more helpful, that's a tough one to try to figure out.