Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Deathwar 3030 Redux  (Read 2913 times)

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
Deathwar 3030 Redux
« on: June 27, 2018, 10:05:32 PM »

So... I bought it cheap on Steam.

Short, TL:DNR review:  has great ideas, lacks polish everywhere, but is totally worth it for cheap.

Long version:

Deathwar 3030 is definitely more of a direct-lineal descendant of Escape Velocity than Starsector is. 

Generally speaking, you don't have fleets, you don't have help, you're in one lowly ship tooling around space; the loop's straightforward- do stuff, make money, upgrade ship, repeat. 

Combat's simple, maybe too simplistic- jousting passes and kiting.  The AI's not smart, the few times you fight multiple foes, you'll find you can string them easily, etc.  So, if you're a hardcore SS player, the combat's not hard at all, unless you go into areas that you're massively under-leveled for.

But there's a lot more to the game than just the spaceships and pew-pew.

It has great ambiance, with adventure-game sections and space stations that, while being exactly the same structurally, feel different-enough to be fun (and are always full of offbeat, cute characters to talk to) and a lot of things I honestly wish were in Starsector:

• Fedex quests to give you ways to earn money that range from straightforward ("blow up some space junk around here, we'll pay you") to fairly complex ("go to A, take photos of X, then go to B, hand over photos to Y, you only have Z minutes to get this done").
  • A core storyline that takes the player to just about all of the inhabited worlds and grows in complexity / danger as the player's capabilities evolve.
  • A cute, if under-developed, boarding mini-game, where players get to go in and plunder wrecked ships for cash, prizes, and the occasional vaguely-racy magazine.  Sooooo much more fun than dice-rolls.
  • Trading that's pretty straightforward, once you know how it works; trade time for money, try not to get killed by pirates, the end.
  • A really interesting approach to Travel in an RPG that makes it somewhat interesting (although, honestly, I really prefer Alex's "just click a button to get there" approach and spend a lot of time wishing I didn't even have to watch my fleet move around, but could get to the action, I like how they managed to make Travel feel somewhat exciting visually).

Anyhow, if you can catch it on sale, I definitely recommend it, while you're waiting for 0.9's grand-scale features to get completed :)
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Deathwar 3030 Redux
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 06:12:34 AM »

Price £5.49.....
Steam Wallet £5.61.....
Predestined!

:edit:

Hmm, weird graphical artifacting; occasionally sprites on the screen randomly flicker? Intended? or bug?

Also, resolution support is terrible; 1080p appears to be a 1.5x upscale?
A fractional upscale makes the font really horrible to read.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 06:57:16 AM by TJJ »

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 09:10:25 AM »

Ah, yeah, resolution's an odd issue.  Found instructions here that helped me resolve that.  I strongly recommend running it windowed, too.
Xeno's Mod Pack

Sarissofoi

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 05:26:24 AM »

Also nice music.

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 08:18:16 AM »

Yeah, the soundtrack's actually really fun; I usually shut off music very quickly, but let it run for a while. 

The whole thing feels like it's a few patches away from being quite what was originally intended, but it had lots of character and the story arc, while nothing special, gave the whole thing some structure that was nice.

To put it another way, this weekend I took some time off from the rest of Reality and beat Bioshock Infinite (a game I avoided for quite some time because I knew a couple of people who worked on it).

I wish I'd played 3030 instead, with all its flaws.  At least its problems are largely able to be fixed via mods...
Xeno's Mod Pack

Kirschbra

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 09:53:20 AM »

Also nice music.

I love Kyoto Connections - take on me cover