Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Game CTD on "Save & Exit" with no Java Exception  (Read 1141 times)

nemonaemo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Game CTD on "Save & Exit" with no Java Exception
« on: June 18, 2018, 11:26:53 AM »

Twice now (Friday and this morning) the game crashed to desktop without throwing a Java exception window. Bam, desktop, no error window, nothing.

After it happened on Friday, I made sure to just regular "Save" today and that worked fine. Pressed "Save & Exit" after that save had completed, CTD.

I tried again just now and "Save & Exit" worked, but I was not playing for long periods just now, just loading to test.

Starsector.log didn't show anything after the save, but I don't have that .log anymore.
However, two java dumps were created in the starsector-core folder at times that would correspond to the crashes. Dark Revenant suggested I post them up here.
10204 is Friday, 6828 is today.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Game CTD on "Save & Exit" with no Java Exception
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 01:21:33 PM »

Thanks for the report! That's pretty odd; looks like a crash in the jvm, i.e. likely an actual java bug or some issue in it interacting with the OS.

I'm assuming this is a heavily modded game, right? Is 8 gigs of ram actually necessary? I *thought* that 6 was about as much as you need and that 8 could start causing issues, but I could be wrong here.

In any case, the good news is that save & exit works a bit differently in the next release - more like the "save" option - so hopefully it'd sidestep the issue, regardless.

nemonaemo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 02:05:41 PM »

Oh, yeah, sorry, I should've added that too, quite a few mods running, but nothing changed in the last few weeks, no mod updates, no java updates, it just happened out of the blue?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 02:39:18 PM »

Yeah, that's odd. Could be an OS auto-update, could be hardware going on the fritz - so many possible variables even when the stuff you'd expect to matter hasn't changed. Also: have you rebooted recently? If not, that can definitely cause some problems, not specific to the game, but in general.

nemonaemo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 05:39:28 PM »

Yeah, I turn my PC off overnight every night.