Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: [Idea/Planning stage] Mod idea  (Read 1845 times)

steelwing

• Ensign
    • View Profile
[Idea/Planning stage] Mod idea
« on: June 13, 2018, 06:47:38 AM »

I've had this really cool idea floating in the back of my head for a while.  No clue if it's feasible or not.
Imagine an alien race.  They're not just aliens that build ships, though.  They're organic ships that grow and breed.
Each of these alien organic starships can "upgrade" itself in various ways.  This is where my questions come in. ;)
As it is now, can the modding capabilities of this already very cool game support:
  • Replacing weapons and (for ships with flight decks) fighters programmatically
  • Increasing hull strength programmatically
  • Increasing engine power
  • Increasing cargo hold space
  • Adding/removing weapon hardpoints
  • If changing any of the above programmatically is not possible, can a new ship be spawned with those attributes set programmatically at spawn time
  • Spawning new ships ("breeding" as suggested above)

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
Re: [Idea/Planning stage] Mod idea
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 07:09:30 AM »

Pretty much everything is possible but I sure hope you have a solid background in spriting and programming to pull it off as well as a lot of free time. That sounds like a thousand man-hours project for someone new to modding Starsector...

steelwing

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 08:43:48 AM »

Oh, I'm not thinking to work on it now. :P I'd love to get into modding, but I don't at all have the time just now.  And when I do, I'll start with small experimental things.  It's been a loooong time since I messed with Java, so I need to get my toes wet before embarking on anything huge like this.

bananana

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 05:08:49 PM »

I'm willing to help making sprites, if needed.
Any and ALL sprites i ever posted on this forum are FREE to use. even if i'm using them myself. Don't ever, EVER ask for permission, or i will come to your home and EAT YOUR DOG!!!
i do NOT want to see my name appear in the credits section of any published mod and will consider it a personal insult.

Protonus

• Captain
  • AAAAAAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 07:30:50 PM »

This sounds like straight Space Rangers HD, where the NPC factions the player resides in improves tech overtime while they are trying to hold on against a very malevolent threat.

The cookies are a weird one, okay.

steelwing

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 04:46:50 AM »

I'm willing to help making sprites, if needed.

That would be awesome, once I get to that point.  I'm not in a position to be working on this project just now, as I said, but when I get there, if I need help with the sprites, I'll certainly look you up!  ;D