Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Pirate Bases, Raids, and Objectives  (Read 56766 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Pirate Bases, Raids, and Objectives
« on: June 12, 2018, 01:46:10 PM »

Blog post here.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
Re: Pirate Bases, Raids, and Objectives
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 01:48:09 PM »

YAY!
Don't forget to update the ticker too Alex!
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 01:50:55 PM »

Thank you; just did :D

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 02:01:00 PM »

I'm kinda worried that all of this will make stealth LESS useful, especially in core systems... The combo of increased burn speed and sensor range, along with the fact that the AI DNGAF about supplies and costs, is going to lead to grief to new players trying to sneak

Also, are you only able to hack Domain era objectives or can you destroy them as well? If I defeat a pirate base in the system then colonize it, do I take control over the in system objectives?

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 02:06:41 PM »

This looks fantastic, and will likely save me some scripting down the line.

The raiding stuff, right? Yeah, I'm trying to make it pretty general-purpose and extensible since there seem to be a *lot* of possible use cases for it even if we're looking at just vanilla.

I'm kinda worried that all of this will make stealth LESS useful, especially in core systems... The combo of increased burn speed and sensor range, along with the fact that the AI DNGAF about supplies and costs, is going to lead to grief to new players trying to sneak

Yeah, will just have to see - I mean, part of this is adding these to core systems, which hasn't happened yet. I doubt *every* system would have a sensor array, say; it's really the lowest-priority one. Another option would be to have "hacking" a sensor array reduce your profile but that gets trickier implementation-wise. But, for sure, something to keep an eye on.

Also, are you only able to hack Domain era objectives or can you destroy them as well? If I defeat a pirate base in the system then colonize it, do I take control over the in system objectives?

Yes and yes; I've got a TODO somewhere for making destroying Domain-era ones have more consequences. For taking the objectives, you can either do it yourself or - if you build a Patrol HQ and have your own fleets in-system - they'll get taken over eventually.

SpacePoliticianAndaZealot

• Captain
  • The Show Stopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 02:09:07 PM »

Is it just me or have you redesigned the pirate flag again? :P

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2018, 02:09:42 PM »

Is it just me or have you redesigned the pirate flag again? :P

*cough*

(I thought it could look meaner, is all.)

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2018, 02:10:45 PM »

Will multiple colonies be able to cover each other in case of raids? IE if the raid chooses colony A, would colony B send its fleets to help out A?

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2018, 02:14:58 PM »

Will multiple colonies be able to cover each other in case of raids? IE if the raid chooses colony A, would colony B send its fleets to help out A?

To an extent, yeah. Naturally a station would only help the colony it's on, but patrol fleets will defend everywhere. The raid starts out choosing a system, btw, not a specific colony, and will then look for weaker targets when it gets there.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2018, 02:17:57 PM »

Will the debris fields and such disappear after a bit? Otherwise I'm worried that the pirates will win anyways through OoM errors and super lag

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Eji1700

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2018, 02:21:53 PM »

Do bases serve economic purpose as well?  I assume so, but you can land/trade etc there just like anywhere else?

Could you form an alliance or up relations with pirates and then use these bases, or smuggle to them, or have your station raid them back?

Just curious what options there will be (and for some of these I'm more curious if that's an eventual maybe, not next patch stuff).

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2018, 02:25:26 PM »

Can new pirate bases spawn (either spontaneously built or stolen from someone), and can old pirate bases destroyed rebuild elsewhere?

Sooner535

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2018, 02:31:38 PM »

What about playing as pirates? Can we build pirate bases and attack colonies too? I love being a pirate lol

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2018, 02:35:26 PM »

Are pirate markets like Barad and Kanta's Den still in the core systems, or have they been pushed out into the random fringe worlds where the bases are?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2018, 02:55:02 PM »

Will the debris fields and such disappear after a bit? Otherwise I'm worried that the pirates will win anyways through OoM errors and super lag

They will despawn, yeah. In the "map after pirate raid" screenshot, the derelict ships haven't despawned because the player fleet is still in-system.

Do bases serve economic purpose as well?  I assume so, but you can land/trade etc there just like anywhere else?

You can actually land there and trade, if you manage to avoid the fleets, but I'm not sure how I feel about that. It's mainly a consequence of those being set up as proper markets on the back end.

Could you form an alliance or up relations with pirates and then use these bases, or smuggle to them, or have your station raid them back?

Just curious what options there will be (and for some of these I'm more curious if that's an eventual maybe, not next patch stuff).

At this point, no. There are some possibly interesting options there but I don't want to delve into it without getting a lot of other stuff done first. Breadth first, then depth as needed, at least for this stuff.

Can new pirate bases spawn (either spontaneously built or stolen from someone), and can old pirate bases destroyed rebuild elsewhere?

Yes they can. "Old" bases don't reappear; a rebuilt base is a new base as far as the game is concerned.

What about playing as pirates? Can we build pirate bases and attack colonies too? I love being a pirate lol

I'm thinking through the options for players raiding core colonies; no specific comment quite yet :) You wouldn't be able to build exactly the same sort of base as the pirates - which is just a standalone station - but you could certainly build a colony with an orbital station.

Are pirate markets like Barad and Kanta's Den still in the core systems, or have they been pushed out into the random fringe worlds where the bases are?

They're in the core at the moment; not 100% sure on how it'll end up. Barad had to lose its orbital station defenses, since that kept attracting the Hegemony patrols and getting destroyed, but that... kind of makes sense. A Hegemony administrator might turn a blind eye to some "perfectly legitimate miners", but that's a lot harder to do if their station is bristling with guns.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10