Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Armaments factories  (Read 2602 times)

basildazz

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Armaments factories
« on: June 07, 2018, 08:29:52 AM »

Armaments factories at player colonies could have the ability to customize Armaments. I.E. Building your own Graviton beams increasing flux cost will increase damage, increasing focus will reduce scatter increase range etc.

Additionally, missile or torpedo slots on ships should be generic as ships hangar thingies. Thus missile, torpedo delivery systems are consumables purchased as are supplies, and warheads are purchased as blueprints.

Please allow mousewheel increase/decrease sales quantity in shop window.

Subordinate officer positions on each ship, if you are overstaffed, small bonus for  additional officer on ship, timid +shield, aggressive +damage.

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile
Re: Armaments factories
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 07:03:25 AM »

This is 4 separate suggestions, and really should have been 4 threads.
Usually, when I do this, people respond to one, and no-one notices the other ones as a result.
------
1: - Custom weapons. Would be interesting, but would requires serious code rewrite I suspect. Also would add a lot more complexity, and skew things further in the player's favor. Disapprove
2: - Missiles/Torpedos as like Fighters. Interesting idea. I certainly far prefer regenerating missiles (Which continue until CR decays sufficiently that they stop regenerating). Not sure what you mean by Deliver systems, and how Warheads are different. Do you mean that you buy a consumable resource that creates the torpedos/Missiles, and blueprints are like fighter blueprints that convert said resources into missiles in battle? Interesting approach, at least, not sure if Approve, need clarification.
3: Mousewheel for sales quantity - This, and also a text box for quantity, and other QOL stuff, because getting exact numbers is a pain in the .... Approve
4: More officers per ship - Disapprove. First of all, those stances are AI stances, not stat modifiers. Secondly, stacking those skills wouldn't really work. Thirdly, you can't really get more than, like 8 or 10 officers currently, and that is PLENTY. Fourthly, you want each ship to have an officer, doubling up just makes it worse. Disapprove

So, Disapprove, Need more info, Approve, Disapprove.
I think is easy for Simba and Mufasa sing the Circle of Life when they're on the top of the food chain, I bet the zebras hate that song.

Cigarettes are a lot like hamsters. Perfectly harmless, until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire

basildazz

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 05:02:51 AM »

I guess the simpliest example would be that you purchase the harpoon launch platform and install this into your ship, then you individually purchase harpoon missiles, basically as ammunition then can fire in combat until these are depleted.

This could function for nearly all physical ammunition that is projected from the spaceship.

Cargo space consumed by items could then be mofified by expanded magazines, expanded missiles. Play k240/utopia 2 on amiga emulator, you will understand the joys of lots of individual missiles.

Darloth

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 06:42:54 AM »

Problem with individual missiles as cargo is that it breaks one of the abstractions, namely that cargo space from all ships can be lumped together and has no bearing on combat until the combat is resolved, at which point you see how much space you're now missing and jettison some stuff.

Any of the obvious solutions to this run into equally obvious problems.  For a while ammo per ship was going to be a think, but it was cancelled, I think there was a blog post about it but I forget the specifics.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 08:54:20 AM »

I don't think that this is a good idea at all.  Some people already have enough difficulties in managing fuel and supplies, let alone managing all the missiles they're going to be firing off.

Besides, if I remember correctly, lore pretty much states that most munitions are fabricated via mini autofactories installed on most ships (take carriers for instance, they fabricate entire new fighters along with the weapons and ammunition they consume).  So no need to carry in missiles.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2018, 10:45:13 AM »

Missiles as a resource would totally break the game balance, especially in end game. If you are rich, then you can get an semi-unlimited supply of missiles in battle (unlimited sabots or reapers would be game breaking), unless the number you can use in battle is limited, but then combat is the same as now, so whats the point? It's just another annoying resource to keep track of that adds nothing to the combat.

Custom weapons would be cool until you had to balance it.

I don't think having multiple officers on a ship can add anything to combat that the current single officer system can't because current officers can buff all aspects of the ship anyway, so I don't see the point. Unless you wanted officer behaviors specific to individual ship systems (i.e. weapons are used aggressively, piloting is passive, shield usage is neutral) but I doubt that would work with the AI and it also seems like it would cause a lot of weird/unwanted behaviors (ship hanging back but firing all weapons or charging in and dropping shields).

QOL stuff is always good.

basildazz

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2018, 12:52:30 PM »

My initial suggestion was based on the notion of some kind of replicator/fabricator, but I had considered that each ship basically just has one kind of missile ordnance, chosen in refitting, akin to the fighters. Ships would have standard tubes/silos, then the replicator would function at a pace dictated by the blueprint. However this would waste a lot of art, ironically as inferred in a more recent post, what actually has drawn me to concept.

Officers, you would have to understand, that for the most part I am plodding around the universe on a zimmerframe, not having managed to attain a giant conquering space fleet, at one point whilst I was annoyed with some (about 9 of my 10) officers, I realized that it was my own failure in strategy that had cost them their spaceships. With a cooler head I can see that they may be entitled to some holiday themselves.

As for the custom weapons, they would not be complicated, simply illustrated with a laser, moving the slider left would increase range at the expense of power and vice versa with the slider right, ultimately we have this already through choice, I just appreciate lasers.

I have since thought another suggestion, on the loot screen alongside button [take all] & [jettison] would be button [capacity] or similarly concept [FUEL}, [Gizmos].

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2018, 04:39:48 PM »

I believe Alex had commented on "customized" weapons and specifically choose not to bother with them.  Can't remember when he said that, but I'm fairly certain he did.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.