Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Improve Damper Field  (Read 1873 times)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Improve Damper Field
« on: June 04, 2018, 02:06:11 PM »

With only 50% damage absorption plus shields, weapons, and venting disabled, this feels like a suicide button for Centurion and Brawler.  When I use those two frigates and flux is high, venting seemed to have better results than Damper Field.  Damper Field at 50% simply allows too much damage taken, and being unable to do nearly anything else while the field is up hurts.

Suggestions to make Damper Field better, without raising damage absorption:
* Allow weapons to be fired while Damper Field is active.
* Allow venting to interrupt Damper Field, like various other systems.
* Grant EMP immunity while field is active.

Damper Field granting temporary immunity to EMP would really help Brawler, or at least make me not wish for it to get its Accelerated Ammo Feeder system back.  Brawler has no defense against the Salamander.  Trading Accelerated Ammo Feeder for Damper Field with 50% damage absorption was a raw deal.

MajorTheRed

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Improve Damper Field
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 04:18:15 PM »

Just throwing a couple ideas:
-A true defensive version of the damper field: boost to venting, or boost to speed to help escape
-A more "brawler" version: allow firing with slower rate of fire, or allow firing with nerf to speed when active.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 04:33:18 PM »

i'd much prefer to leave the mechanics of Damper Field as they are (especially since any buff would also apply to Mora, and DF Mora being too good was the reason for the nerf in the first place), and instead just make the percentage of damage reduction scale with ship size, like 70/60/50/40% from frigates to capitals. that would keep Mora exactly as it is now, but make it a good system for frigates again.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 04:47:40 PM »

Megas, allowing weapons to be fired while the Damper Field is on would be hilariously OP.

Allowing a vent, is a eh maybe thing, it would sort of make it too much of a no brainer to activate. You know, risk vs reward = player agency.

EMP immunity? No, why? Nothing should be full immunity as that makes for bad gameplay! It already provides EMP *resistance*.

The Mora is broken enough already, Sy is right about making the damage resist scale to be stronger on smaller ships. Any other approach to changing the Damper Field is of dubious logic.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 05:04:00 PM »

Mora will not benefit much from being able to fire weapons since it is a carrier with few OP to spare if it tries to use fighters better than Talons.  Similarly, EMP immunity (and no other changes) would not help much except for Brawler, who really needs help.  Centurion or Brawler firing with field up, it would be like ammo feeder, except boosting armor/hull defense instead of offense like Lasher.

I would like higher absorption percentage for Centurion and Brawler, but somehow, I do not see that happening.  Especially since Brawler with too high percentage made them too annoying to fight in the early game (although the likely user, pathers, got the classic ammo feeder back).

50% only for frigates and disabling everything else makes the system a suicide button for Centurion and Brawler.

Megas, allowing weapons to be fired while the Damper Field is on would be hilariously OP.

Allowing a vent, is a eh maybe thing, it would sort of make it too much of a no brainer to activate. You know, risk vs reward = player agency.

EMP immunity? No, why? Nothing should be full immunity as that makes for bad gameplay! It already provides EMP *resistance*.

The Mora is broken enough already, Sy is right about making the damage resist scale to be stronger on smaller ships. Any other approach to changing the Damper Field is of dubious logic.

@ MesoTronk:  I fail to see how this is any more overpowered, no worse than the likes of Accelerated Ammo Feeder, EMP Emitter, and various other systems.

Every time I tried Damper Field with Brawler against incoming Salamander (that has no other way to defend against), Brawler got EMP'ed every time, despite active field, then it spun helplessly, then finished off by enemy.  If Damper Field provides resistance, I simply do not see it.

So far, Damper Field is a suicide button for the frigates.  It is fine on Mora, but not on the frigates.  (Stupid Mora hijacking the system from Centurion...)

P.S.  With frigates, raising Damper Field is high-risk, low-reward.  Frigate takes slightly less damage (but still too much damage).  At 50%, whenever it is a choice between using the field or venting, venting has been the superior option every time.  At 66% or 75%, Damper Field had a point for frigates (but might have made early-game enemy Brawlers a pain to kill), but at 50%, the frigate takes too much damage.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 05:12:52 PM by Megas »

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 03:45:18 AM »

Damper field was not that strong even at 75% for frigates - it is extremely easy to counter. Just vent every time your opponent activates DF, and continue bashing them after. DF prolongs loss, but that's about it.

Mora makes better use of DF only because fighters remain a threat (and keep getting replaced, I think(?)) while system is active, thus countering vent. Without this synergy DF is fairly worthless.

I also liked AAF brawler more. Sure, it was even more vulnerable to Salamanders, but it had somewhat unique role - hard flux sniper frigate. With efficient ballistic medium slots offense is just better defense than trying to tank (and failing at it).
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 04:05:01 AM by TaLaR »

Sarissofoi

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 03:59:06 AM »

I am not a big fan of Damper Field at all.
To be honest Brawler with AAF and two small mounts as 180 turrets coverage would be much better both for player and for AI(plus maybe some buffs here and there).
The same goes for centurion.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2018, 04:13:36 AM »

To be honest Brawler with AAF and two small mounts as 180 turrets coverage...

180 coverage might be too good. Narrow turret arcs are one of it's primary weaknesses (other being speed). 
Another option of giving it chance against Salamanders would be omni-shield. With reduced arc (barely enough to cover front projection) it would fit theme of sniper too.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 06:42:53 AM by TaLaR »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2018, 05:33:57 AM »

If Brawler gets omni-shield, I want Wolf to get its omni shield back.  Omni shield on Wolf was so much better than fixed forward shield.

75% Damper Field was useful.  If Centurion was high on flux, it could activate the field, shrug off most damage, dissipate some flux, then attack a little more after the field wears off.  It was often a better alternative to venting and taking lots of damage (before venting the rest of the flux away).  At 50%, frigate takes lots of damage anyway, and if it would die venting, it will die while the field is up (or at least be critically wounded enough that it cannot do it again).  At that point, just vent and get it over with.  If the frigate lives, it has a full flux bar to work with.

Re: Mora
As TaLaR points out, Mora can already attack during Damper Field via fighters.  Letting other ships fire their guns during the field levels the playing field.

If Damper Field is left as-is, then Brawler needs its ammo feeder back, and Centurion needs a new system.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 05:44:51 AM by Megas »