Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Phase cloak ships can unphase right within an enemy  (Read 1773 times)

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Phase cloak ships can unphase right within an enemy
« on: June 04, 2018, 07:10:10 AM »

... And it's quite exploitable.

Simple use case - Harbinger with 3 mining blasters. Doesn't even need proper omni-shield bypass maneuver that phase frigates can do. Just materialize within enemy Medusa and shoot.
More elaborate case - Harbinger with 3 Typhoon Reapers.
Step by step:
  • Phase ships can unphase within enemy (Depends on collision radius? Harbinger can go deeper than Afflictor, against larger ships it works to lesser extent)
  • Phase ships have i-frames on appearance (was cleared as not a bug)
  • It seems you can get more i-frames when you appear within an enemy (while automatic force tries to push you away, but there is a max duration too. Can't just stay in this state)
  • Reapers bounce if launched too close, but they are likely to detonate later anyway when shot within enemy hull (unless pushed outside of hull)

It's not too reliable (depends on how will Reapers bounce and whether you can extend i-frames). But. Being able to just suicide bomb nearly anything in unpreventable manner is already nasty enough (just imagine enemy AI doing so). Getting decent chance to survive the process on top of that seems quite broken (it may be possible to improve reliability with practice).

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Phase cloak ships can unphase right within an enemy
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 11:55:33 AM »

Yeah, this is more or less "how it works". The only potential issue here is invulnerability, but as long as this isn't consistent, I don't think it's a big concern. Let me tweak the Habringer's collision radius up a bit, though; it's probably a bit on the low side.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 12:08:00 PM »

Mining Blaster use case is quite consistent (just not as devastating as Reapers). But I suppose increasing Harbinger's collision radius could help with that.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 12:30:37 PM »

I mean, you're still uncloaking right next to a ship and probably not 1-shotting it; it doesn't seem particularly overpowered. With phase ships, a certain amount of ridiculousness is just par for the course :)