Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Audio warning when player ships is about to overload  (Read 1468 times)

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Audio warning when player ships is about to overload
« on: June 03, 2018, 09:56:02 PM »

Seen this in a mod, where ships starts to beep above ~75% flux and beeps faster as it gets closer to overload. Seems like a very helpful feature for when combat is too intense for you to look at the UI. And also adds immersion, since audio warnings are a feature that real combat vehicles have.

https://youtu.be/Eng8nhD08Ms?t=13m
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 09:57:38 PM by goduranus »

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Audio warning when player ships is about to overload
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 10:13:13 PM »

Wouldn't hurt (if optional), but not something to rely on either. Swarm of Sabots can overload you from 0 to 100% in less than a second.
Overload prevention is more about awareness of how much flux is incoming and how exactly (projectile flight times, cooldowns, damage types, etc).

On a side note - would like a sound cue for Sabot staging as well.

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 08:25:34 AM »

The arcade from SS+ does this. The shield gets extra special effects and you hear a... Sound which increases in pitch proportional to your current flux level when you go above, like, 50%.

The duel feedback elements make it very hard to not know how high your flux is.
The closest other example I can think of is the Templar faction, who's "Shields" turn red and flicker at high flux.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 07:16:26 AM by Ranakastrasz »
I think is easy for Simba and Mufasa sing the Circle of Life when they're on the top of the food chain, I bet the zebras hate that song.

Cigarettes are a lot like hamsters. Perfectly harmless, until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire

King Alfonzo

• Admiral
  • -- D O C T O R --
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 05:09:27 PM »

If you want that kind of thing, this mod does a similar function in the campaign. Instead of beeping faster at higher flux, it beeps when you're above 80% flux to tell you you're about to go over. It also uses different beeps for when you get badly damaged from a single strike (so you know you're being hit from behind by a missile strike or something), when you're on 50%, and then 20% hull, but most importantly (for me anyway) when your engines die. You can turn off the sounds in real time, so it's not overly annoying in combat situations, and you can tune when the sounds happen through the settings file.