Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: vmparams editing  (Read 7315 times)

RinandTonic

• Ensign
    • View Profile
vmparams editing
« on: June 02, 2018, 07:20:31 AM »

Hello!

So I've just "finished" my first playthrough of vanilla and loved it! But on my second play I want to try out some light mods so keep things fresh. Nothing heavy, add in some extra portraits, some graphics updates, maybe some new music.

I'm trying to follow the instructions on the main "How to Mod" thread, but whenever I edit vmparams with notepad to allocate more memory (I try raising it to 4 gigs, my computer has 8 ), I encounter a couple issues.
1. The file will only save as a separate entity instead of updating the existing vmparams since it tries to save as a .txt file. 2. If I DO try to save the file onto the old one or even into the folder it says "You don't have permission to save in this location, contact administrator to obtain permission".

I tried to save it separately and insert it into the folder, which works once I provide administrator permission, but when I take out the old unmodified vmparams and launch the game, the message pops up; "error reading vmparams". Which I assume is because it's saved as a .txt file.

I looked this up on the forums and all it said was to reinstall Java but that doesn't seem right since the old file still works fine once I replace it, I just can't edit it.

Thanks in advance for the help! I'm not especially tech-savvy but I can follow basic instructions.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
Re: vmparams editing
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 07:43:39 AM »

Do you get the forced "Save as..." window when you save with control s?
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 07:50:18 AM »

What program are you using to edit it? Notepad++ is free and will not force you to add an extension to it.

You shouldn't need to reinstall Java, especially if things still work with the old vmparams.

RinandTonic

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2018, 07:57:07 AM »

Do you get the forced "Save as..." window when you save with control s?

I do! There are no options to save it as anything other than a .txt file either.

RinandTonic

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2018, 07:58:20 AM »

What program are you using to edit it? Notepad++ is free and will not force you to add an extension to it.

You shouldn't need to reinstall Java, especially if things still work with the old vmparams.

Thanks! Yeah I thought not. I’ll try it with Notepad++ later today and say if it works or not. Still odd that it wasn’t listed as mandatory if that is what’s causing my issue.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2018, 10:27:52 AM »

IIRC you can also disable "hide file extensions" in Windows Explorer and then rename the file to remove the .txt extension.

RinandTonic

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2018, 12:04:12 PM »

It worked with Notepad++! Anyone else having similar issues I'd reccommend using that instead. Thank you!!