Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 87

Author Topic: Starsector 0.9a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 468576 times)

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.9a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #1185 on: December 07, 2018, 01:26:46 PM »

This can't be standard fare. Found in hyperspace, they were just bumbling/messing around, i think attacking eachother again. And if it is, i'm unsure what kind of player-response would be appropriate.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: December 07, 2018, 01:28:20 PM »

This is a pirate raid. Yeah, it's a bit extreme.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: December 07, 2018, 02:02:49 PM »

I am concerned that can happen to my stations since I have two large colonies on top of each other orbiting the same gas giant.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: December 07, 2018, 06:16:35 PM »

I have seen strange death balls of multiple large pirate fleets in hyperspace before as well. I'm not sure if they kept spawning near a pirate base and then did nothing, but they never went to my colony. I was flying through a hyperspace storm with limited visibility and then came out of it into 10ish large pirate fleets with no warning. Needless to say I reloaded.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: December 08, 2018, 04:57:52 AM »

I have seen death fleet of pirates a few times.  If in hyperspace, it is probably due to catching them on their way to raid a system somewhere (or perhaps on their way back).

Death fleet equals fast rep gain in a system with system bounty.

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: December 09, 2018, 09:14:27 PM »

I'm finding the best way to F with main factions is to not clean pirates up for them. The pirate death fleet is amazingly effective at keeping them busy lmao.

Here's the full set of expedition changes in-dev:

Punitive expeditions:
      Fixed issue with wrong reason being displayed sometimes
      More variety in which colonies are targeted
      Will no longer be sent out by the faction the player is commissioned by, if any
      Will result in a 5-point reputation penalty when the expedition starts
         And a 5-point penalty when it arrives in system
         No reputation penalty for fighting the expedition's fleets
         Reputation cost to avert reduced to 20 points
      Takes roughly twice as long for factions to build up towards sending an expedition
      After 2-3 expeditions are sent (total, by all factions), no expeditions will be sent for 6 to 12 months

How fast does minor negative rep degrade?
I mean, for instance, you now get a -10 rep with one faction, how long does it take to drop back to 0?
It would be great if the cap is designed around this known parameter, for player not need to overly babysit colony.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 09:17:37 PM by Sutopia »

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: December 10, 2018, 05:56:46 AM »

How fast does minor negative rep degrade?
I mean, for instance, you now get a -10 rep with one faction, how long does it take to drop back to 0?
it doesn't. reputation in starsector stays constant unless there is something specific that changes it. so for example, if you do a lot of bounties or exploration missions, your rep with many of the major factions will probably slowly increase over time, or at least stay fairly constant despite colony-related events decreasing it a bit every now and then. but if the minor rep penalties are the only things affecting it, it will decrease over time from repeated penalties, rather than trend towards neutral again by itself.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: December 10, 2018, 07:04:37 AM »

-10 seems excessive.  Maybe -5 would be more reasonable?  If I need to take most of the free time given patching up rep, then it would be like babysitting the colony, and that is no fun.  Instead of being at the colony, I need to go where I already went and hunt pirates and pathers, and I do that enough already protecting my colony from them.  It is not much different than being dog of the state just to be friendly.  If it gets too bothersome, I will let rep tank, eat the accessibility penalty, and be hostile with them.  Then, after I bore of them, sat bomb (or disrupt spaceport of) all the core worlds and win the game.

As for pirate raids, they can be too effective.  In my second game, Asharu decivilized because I did nothing (because my colonies were far in the fringe and I wanted to explore), and pirates raided it into the ground (-9 stability total).  It would be nice if I can resurrect it with a colony of my own or whatever, but Hegemony would sat bomb it away (unless I wipe Jangala and Barad off the map too).

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: December 11, 2018, 01:17:51 AM »

Will result in a 5-point reputation penalty when the expedition starts
         And a 5-point penalty when it arrives in system
         No reputation penalty for fighting the expedition's fleets
         Reputation cost to avert reduced to 20 points
      Takes roughly twice as long for factions to build up towards sending an expedition
      After 2-3 expeditions are sent (total, by all factions), no expeditions will be sent for 6 to 12 months

So if you use a synchrotron you'll be at war with Syndria within a year, and the only way to prevent it is to cause hostilities with other factions so they'll max out your expeditions first?
... I'm starting to feel like it's about time for a reputation rework. I think the only major mechanic left that'll interact with it is here now and said new mechanic is getting the most weirdness from it. Maybe reputation should be made logarithmic like production & population is -- I did a writeup on it but it became huge so I made its own topic
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: December 11, 2018, 09:11:54 AM »

-10 seems excessive.  Maybe -5 would be more reasonable?

(Funny, changed it to -5 already :) The math does seem to work out better with a -5.)

So if you use a synchrotron you'll be at war with Syndria within a year, and the only way to prevent it is to cause hostilities with other factions so they'll max out your expeditions first?

Well, none of this stuff is predictable enough to be reliably controlled in this fashion, and it wouldn't prevent it anyway. So I get what you're saying - it makes sense in theory - but given the details, I don't think it actually holds up.

MorganOrgan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: December 12, 2018, 03:16:02 AM »

Which file I have to edit to set "altMouseMoveToMassTransfer" to active?

Found it, nevermind ;)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 03:31:59 AM by MorganOrgan »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: December 12, 2018, 06:52:17 AM »

Started on game three, and while I explored east in the fringe, I encountered a single pirate fleet with 67 ships.  20 Colossus 3s, 3 Falcon (P)s, 3 Ventures, 14 destroyers, and 27 frigates.  Looks at my fleet cap.  Wished they were two or three separate fleets, and not one fleet with more than twice as many ships I can put in my fleet.

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: December 12, 2018, 07:20:50 AM »

Somewhat similar to Megas, I had a Pirate Armada with about 40 ships chase me through 6 different systems out on the fringe (I was steamrolled on the one attempt to kill them). They were bound and determined to kill me. It took luring them into Luddic Church territory and having a station assist me to take them out.

It was the most persistent fleet I think I've ever encountered in all my years of playing. In a strange way, it was exciting because they were the bogeyman every time I'd try to explore a system. Defeating them also was quite satisfying, even if I had to game the game a little to do it.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: December 12, 2018, 11:38:28 AM »

I wonder, did those pirate fleets have anything to say to you? And on a completely unrelated note, did either of you happen to fail any delivery missions some time in the past?

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: December 12, 2018, 12:18:09 PM »

I never let them talk  :D Though, in my defense, 99% of the time, opening a comm to pirates is little more than "you're mine and all your stuff is mine." Perhaps I'll open a comm next time?

I did not fail any missions prior, no.
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 87