Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 87

Author Topic: Starsector 0.9a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 470849 times)

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.9a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #1140 on: December 01, 2018, 04:13:49 PM »

Does next release mean a RC11 or Starsector 1.0?  ;D
Neither!  Next release should be a 0.9.1.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Draba

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: December 02, 2018, 02:55:18 AM »

Just pointing out if you take a commission your accessibility gets tanked, all these complaints about super profitable colonies are all in ideal situations where every one is buddy buddy, with mature colonies. it takes what? 800,000 credits to 100% fund the growth of a size 6 colony?

Taking a TT comission gives a ~40% penalty by itself, that's not really significant on a world with 200-ish base(220 if you have an extra alpha in megaport).
Size 6 on a decent world already makes around 500K profit a month without cores/forges/snychrotron. Can be over 1M on a good one with an alpha/some betas and forge.

You are right in that for lower sizes building and incentive costs are significant.
That's why you need 3-500K to kickstart the process(can be done on a budget, but will probably involve more babysitting).

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #1142 on: December 02, 2018, 07:32:16 AM »

Can't find any of the bug report threads on it, but: The "[redacted] ship runs away and forces the player to hunt it down bug" may be
Spoiler
a Sentry that ran out of missiles and is backing away. At least, I caught one doing this in two battles.
[close]

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: December 02, 2018, 09:01:38 AM »

Aha, thank you - noted that. Seems likely that'd cause a problem, yeah.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: December 04, 2018, 03:24:10 AM »

Not sure if this is a a bug: I had founded a colony in the hegemony system Astlan (had a commission), and it just disappeared, with nothing but ruins left. When I founded it there was a warning that the hegemoney would take it out soon. But I never received the usual warning about an expedition being undertaken or something, I think. I'm guessing that isn't intentional?
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: December 04, 2018, 04:17:11 AM »

I think that sometimes warnings about expeditions or inspections just don't reach you. Yesterday I had a message that Hegemony AI inspection reached my system, without any earlier warning about it coming. I believe in RC6 I had a situation where there were two stacked Diktat expeditions at the same time, with one being invisible (no intel) and after I defeated the first and left, the second came and nuked my space port, and only THEN I received intel about this raid succeeding.

Shoat

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: December 04, 2018, 10:27:08 AM »

I think that sometimes warnings about expeditions or inspections just don't reach you. Yesterday I had a message that Hegemony AI inspection reached my system, without any earlier warning about it coming. I believe in RC6 I had a situation where there were two stacked Diktat expeditions at the same time, with one being invisible (no intel) and after I defeated the first and left, the second came and nuked my space port, and only THEN I received intel about this raid succeeding.

Part of that might be intended. You aren't supposed to get intel about most things unless you are near a functioning comm satellite thingy. That's why there's always a huge influx oif bounties, exploration missions and economical stuff popping up on your screen whenever you come back to the bubble from the outer parts of the system.

Also some expeditions will be made up of more than one fleet, so it's possible you crush one of them and think that's it and leave, and then several others sneak past and smush your station.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: December 04, 2018, 10:33:41 AM »

Firstly, you receive colony threat intel no matter where you are. I played for some time before the RC that limited how many expeditions there can be and no other was unmarked (other than the recent Hegemony AI inspection). It would be jarring if you sometimes received no warning just because. Secondly, I received a notification that the raid failed, in the case of that Diktat expedition. Before there were 4 fleets to one expedition and I fought them all, so I knew there could be several. But no, that time I fought just one and the game declared immediately that the raid failed. And there was no other Diktat fleet in the vicinity - I received the news of my colony getting raided only several days later.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: December 04, 2018, 11:25:26 AM »

Not sure if this is a a bug: I had founded a colony in the hegemony system Astlan (had a commission), and it just disappeared, with nothing but ruins left. When I founded it there was a warning that the hegemoney would take it out soon. But I never received the usual warning about an expedition being undertaken or something, I think. I'm guessing that isn't intentional?

Hmm - is it at all possible that you just didn't see it? One possibility could be if it happened to arrive at the same time as lots of other intel, say.

Looking at the code, it's really hard to see how you might get an expedition but not get a notification. The actual expedition code sends out the notification, so they're tied together tightly, and there's no if/then logic that could go awry - it just does the expedition setup and sends the message, with no branching.

Not saying this is impossible, of course. It just really, really looks like it right now :)

Btw, a question: you don't have devMode turned on, right? That would make expeditions work quite differently, among other things...

And, again, I'm just not seeing how you could get an expedition with no corresponding intel, since code-wise, the expedition *is* the intel. So that's super weird. If you happen to see this again, could you get me a save?

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: December 05, 2018, 12:45:56 AM »

No, that was about 30 levels before I started messing with my save.
Could "change toolbars" hotkey be moved somewhere away from WSAD? I have seen people here and there getting confused by unknowingly changing to an empty one and being unable to do stuff they should be able to do. Another thing is that people at the beginning don't use hotkeys, so they think that you can't buy ships from NPC planets, just because it doesn't show up as a separate option.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: December 05, 2018, 02:03:35 AM »

Hmm - is it at all possible that you just didn't see it? One possibility could be if it happened to arrive at the same time as lots of other intel, say.

Yeah, I guess it's possible. What's strange though is how fast it must have happened, I only went over to one other system, came back, and there was no colony left. Maybe the expedition started in the same system the colony was in, could that have anything to do with it?
Also, the whole affair had no impact on reputation with the hegemony, don't know if that should be the case. ("OK Gothars, you made a little mistake settling in our system, but don't worry, we will just wipe out your colony and kill all your settlers and then we will never talk about it again, allright? Don't get caught with your transmitter off, though;)")
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Cheet4h

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: December 05, 2018, 10:06:57 AM »

On this note: Could some Intel (especially Colony threats) be marked as "important" automatically, like accepted missions are?
Also, could important intel be displayed somewhere during normal Gameplay and on the sector map? Ideally even with "go to System view" and "lay in course" as options, like on the sector map.

Volfgarix

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: December 05, 2018, 10:08:29 AM »

Sooo, I installed a sniffer in my own Comm Relay. I guess it isn't needed in first place, right?

Edit:
Guuyyss...
Spoiler
[close]
This happened after battle with some bounty target, had to ALT+F4
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 11:42:03 AM by Volfgarix »

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: December 05, 2018, 03:31:01 PM »

Alex, how does the game check who owns the system? I have accidentally decivilized Sindria in my game and when I colonized it, it said that pirates own the system, not the Sindrian Diktat (which still has Cruor and Volturn). Pirates owned the comm relay at the time of colonization. This is with console commands and messing in general, so it might not come up in normal circumstances, but it might happen in other circumstances.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: December 05, 2018, 04:18:24 PM »

Could "change toolbars" hotkey be moved somewhere away from WSAD? I have seen people here and there getting confused by unknowingly changing to an empty one and being unable to do stuff they should be able to do. Another thing is that people at the beginning don't use hotkeys, so they think that you can't buy ships from NPC planets, just because it doesn't show up as a separate option.

I've got a TODO item to help out with both of these, yeah.

Yeah, I guess it's possible. What's strange though is how fast it must have happened, I only went over to one other system, came back, and there was no colony left. Maybe the expedition started in the same system the colony was in, could that have anything to do with it?

That'd make it go faster, yeah. And if the somewhere-around-monthly "should an expedition be sent" check happened shortly after you established the colony, it could go pretty quick overall.

Also, the whole affair had no impact on reputation with the hegemony, don't know if that should be the case. ("OK Gothars, you made a little mistake settling in our system, but don't worry, we will just wipe out your colony and kill all your settlers and then we will never talk about it again, allright? Don't get caught with your transmitter off, though;)")

Yep, a couple of changes already made to adjust this. One is of course no expeditions from commission factions. The other is changing how reputation hits work - no penalty at all for fighting the fleets, but a 10 point penalty when they arrive in-system.

On this note: Could some Intel (especially Colony threats) be marked as "important" automatically, like accepted missions are?
Also, could important intel be displayed somewhere during normal Gameplay and on the sector map? Ideally even with "go to System view" and "lay in course" as options, like on the sector map.

I feel like it being tagged "colony threats" is basically that. "Important" is very much a player-perception and player-controlled thing; I *think* one or two things may auto-flag themselves that way, but I'd like to be extremely sparing with that.

As far as pinning important intel on the campaign UI somewhere, I'm not sure there's room anywhere.

Sooo, I installed a sniffer in my own Comm Relay. I guess it isn't needed in first place, right?

It could be useful for any local intel such as procurement missions. Basically comm sniffer = "you get intel as if you were there", which means certain local-only info such as fleet departures and mission postings becomes available when you're elsewhere.

Edit:
Guuyyss...
Spoiler
[close]
This happened after battle with some bounty target, had to ALT+F4

(Fixed for the .1 release.)

Alex, how does the game check who owns the system? I have accidentally decivilized Sindria in my game and when I colonized it, it said that pirates own the system, not the Sindrian Diktat (which still has Cruor and Volturn). Pirates owned the comm relay at the time of colonization. This is with console commands and messing in general, so it might not come up in normal circumstances, but it might happen in other circumstances.

Largest military colony in-system. If there aren't any, then largest colony period.
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 87