Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 87

Author Topic: Starsector 0.9a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 468569 times)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.9a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #915 on: November 23, 2018, 09:55:45 AM »

Might be just high tech being good, didn't try the rest yet,
High tech synergies very well with a ballistic heavy fleet, especially if armed with tachyon lances, and is probably the most durable of all stations if you are in combat.  (Battlestations are much less impressive if allowed to auto-resolve.)

Midline stations, at least low-level orbital stations, are not too good because they focus all of their firepower either forward or backward, but not to the sides.  Meaning there are two big blind spots while midline focuses all firepower ahead.

At least low-tech is omnidirectional like high-tech, and it spews tons of ballistics (at least it did against my ships when I fought them).  Its shields are not that great compared to high-tech, and are fairly easy to smash if you can whether the bullet hell spray from the station.

Venatos

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: November 23, 2018, 09:57:08 AM »

not sure this is working as intended:
got myself a nice colony and built it up a little. next thing i know, the sindrian diktat(which i am NOT at war with!) sends a battleship with several cruisers, destroyers, carriers etc. to f*** up my miningsite.
my fleet of 5 destroyers and 5 frigates is no match for it, so i cant defend.
my miningsite is shot to hell and out for 200 days! so i decide to bite the bullet and abbandon the miningsite and set up a new one somewhere else on the planet(aka i invest a lot of money to cut the time down to 30 days)
imagine my surprise when somehow my new miningsite is still out for 200 days.....

i also noticed that all the bounties jumped from around doable 80k to 180k which my fleet just cant handle since i put up the colony.(its on a terran planet in case that matters)
is the colony contributing to the bountie increase or did i just spend to much time and money on it and fell behind the curve?

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: November 23, 2018, 10:01:22 AM »

You probably fell behind and cannot catch up.  After a while, the low difficulty stuff becomes much rarer and there is a big spike in difficulty with the next level of threats.  I likewise struggled, and barely made it out, though I had to take max colony skills (so my colony would not put me in debt after it grew too big), then some combat skills (read: gunnery implants, electronic warfare, loadout design, and helmsmanship) when my fleet could not win against some of the tougher fleets while unskilled.

It is better to build up combat first, then exploration and/or colony stuff later.

Venatos

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: November 23, 2018, 10:02:24 AM »

Excuse me if my question would qualify as offtopic here but I couldn't think of a better place since the question is exactly about 0.9.
I have been away from Starsector for a year or two so I started to forget technical details, but I vaguely remember one had to download some 3rd party software (I think it was Java) and dump it to Starsector folder in order for it to run without freezes, especially with a large amount of mods. Is it still the case for 0.9, or all I need to do is install new distributive and I'm good to go?
im pretty sure i saw alex answer this question somewhere. it is included now, no need for third party installs anymore.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: November 23, 2018, 10:10:58 AM »

Re: Loot skill

I roll a die and add 1. Then I roll the die again. The second time the die roll was higher! Obviously adding 1 makes the die roll lower!

Creepin

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: November 23, 2018, 10:20:54 AM »

im pretty sure i saw alex answer this question somewhere. it is included now, no need for third party installs anymore.
Thank you very much for your prompt reply! Onwards then :)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: November 23, 2018, 10:24:24 AM »

Trying to make sense of the Salvaging skill as seen in the game... I do not know if I can.  The way the skill works seems bizarre and hard to evaluate.  Anytime I find something that looks good, I save, then compare the results with varying Salvaging levels.  The results vary by skill level.  Sometimes, more Salvaging is better quality and quantity, sometimes not.  That last loot I did from a research station would have made Salvaging 3 look terrible.

All I care to get from abandoned stations, ruins, and the like are blueprints and other exotic items like nanoforge.  I could not care less about the items I can buy or loot from yet another fight elsewhere.

Aside, I am sick of seeing lots of Pirate and Ludd blueprints.  I would like to see more baseline blueprints, either basic, non-affiliated pack or more rare blueprints.  The pirate pack at least has some useful and unique hulls (Colossus 3 has Ground Support hullmod for raiding stations), but the Pather pack is useless by the time I get one (don't need SO Lashers by that point), and the Church pack can probably be replicated and more by the basic low-tech pack.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: November 23, 2018, 10:42:35 AM »

Alex, does the debt from the spacer start have a maximum debt per month or can it just keep increasing forever?  Also, what exactly did the spacer do to be in that much debt? :)

Check the income report tooltip :)

Should station-only markets be raidable while the station is intact? I mean, for planets I can see how one would hit the side the battlestation isn't covering then leave beforee it comes around again on its orbit, but for station markets the only place where you might find stuff is inside the part with all the guns.

I get what you're saying, but for mechanical consistency reasons, probably, still.

Do commissions do the following? If not, I think they should:
- Disable expeditions against the player, including the punitive expedition for creating a colony inside a star system that faction claims
- Waive the storage fee

I think I've got a note about that, yeah...

Making it preferable to let the fight happen AI vs AI is like the 'game doesn't want you to play it' trope.

That's an oversight; on my list!

Is it intentional to saturate the player with officers like this? Because it seems less than helpful.

That's just luck - they're fairly rare compared to the other outcomes.

I roll a die and add 1. Then I roll the die again. The second time the die roll was higher! Obviously adding 1 makes the die roll lower!

Exactly this, yeah - absolutely can not compare individual results with/without skill. It just makes no sense to do that.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: November 23, 2018, 10:49:08 AM »

Exactly this, yeah - absolutely can not compare individual results with/without skill. It just makes no sense to do that.
In that case, it would be nice if there was another benefit at 2, something that is tangible and not fuzzy and impossible to evaluate (and verify you get what you pay for) like more rare loot.  Level 1 is useful for the ability, and +10% loot from 3 is a bit underwhelming, but it is something and I see worse.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: November 23, 2018, 10:50:49 AM »

It's not impossible to evaluate - it gives you 50% more rare stuff in the long run. It's that simple.

Edit: I guess the "verify" part is more difficult, that's true.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 10:58:14 AM by Alex »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: November 23, 2018, 11:09:56 AM »

It's not impossible to evaluate - it gives you 50% more rare stuff in the long run. It's that simple.
I guess I will check more.  So far, only two or three sites out of more than a dozen I looted would have benefitted from Salvaging 3, while just as many I would have been ripped off had I take Salvaging 3 instead of unskilled (or less than max), despite having more stuff all around.  Also, much of the extra stuff is junk stuff like more Pirate/Pather packs or excess basic packs, hullmods, or corrupt nanoforges.  With Salvaging 3, I would have gotten about three useful blueprints (for heavy blaster, Eagle, and Astral).  On the other hand, none of the sites would have given me a pristine nanoforge in my game (so far) if I got Salvaging 3.  Basically, Salvaging 3 seems like a sidegrade or slight net upgrade if all I want it for is rare stuff.  (Admittingly, I like the level 1 ability.)

I have not yet tried raiding factions for blueprints yet, so I am not sure how useful extra blueprints from exploring with Salvaging 3 will be.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 11:13:33 AM by Megas »

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: November 23, 2018, 11:14:57 AM »

Should station-only markets be raidable while the station is intact? I mean, for planets I can see how one would hit the side the battlestation isn't covering then leave beforee it comes around again on its orbit, but for station markets the only place where you might find stuff is inside the part with all the guns.

I get what you're saying, but for mechanical consistency reasons, probably, still.

This actually doesn't even require hand-waving, mostly bc Raids don't involve ships -- the salvaging mechanics kind of establish already that the Sector doesn't really have the tech to track & scan everything floating in space -- in order to find out what's inside of a container floating in space you have to actually have a dude suit up and go pop it open, which is why you lose crew and machinery doing debris field salvage
so, if you wanna raid a starfort, you just go way outside its range, stick marines into a container and kick it towards it. When it arrives, pop goes the weasel, they blow thru the outter hull and do the raid. When it's time to go they force a crew member to pilot an empty shuttle out of the starfort to see if the defenses are cheeky & vaporize anything trying to get out -- if not, they just steal a shuttle and leave. If the defenders are attempting to prevent an escape, they raid their way to a crew quarters and start giving people oxygen tanks and kicking them out into the vacuum to get chewed up by cheeky defenders until they realize all they're achieving is killing their own people and stop, and then they leave under cover of a cloud of crew members being spaced to drift outside of the gun's range before being picked up.

And in all of those cases, said tactics don't work if there's a fleet to support the station.
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

StarGibbon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: November 23, 2018, 12:07:08 PM »

Returning player here for the new build.

Tutorial battle still far too difficult for a *tutorial*.  I'm a long time player and was  comfortable with .8 combat, but Im struggling with this fight with the exceptionally bad D-mods on the starter fleet. If an experienced player has this much trouble just from being rusty, a new player is going to be frustrated. I realize the fleets can be evaded, but that is not what the tutorial steers the player to, having just handed them a new fleet and a bunch of weapons. The most experienced continuous players have probably lost their ability to fairly gauge this, as anything save for the most extreme challenge feels trivial to them with all their game knowledge.

Steam games are refunded in the first two hours. The unforgiving nature of the random, open gameworld already gives challenge oriented players plenty to chest thump about, and nobody has ever returned a game because it *didn't* force them to reload the same battle a dozen times during the first 30 minutes. I don't see any good reason to force players to fail over and over again in the tutorial.  Let players get hooked with some early successes before beating them with the "git gud" stick.

Venatos

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: November 23, 2018, 12:49:11 PM »

Returning player here for the new build.

Tutorial battle still far too difficult for a *tutorial*.  etc.

returning player here too, i just played the tutorial 2 days ago.
i started on normal difficulty with the big combatfleet, the tutorial just about doubled my fleet before the big tutorial endfight and it pretty much played itself as i remember.
did you by any chance take the hard or merchant start?

edit: either way, the tutorial should allways be exeptionaly easy, so if the endfight needs some cutting back, im all for it.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 12:54:08 PM by Venatos »

Fandanguero

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: November 23, 2018, 01:07:43 PM »

So, system-wide bonus-giving structures are not defended and our patrols don't recapture them?
I do not know.  Remnant fleet captured my relay one time.  I do not remember if I recaptured it or one of my small patrols did.
One of patrols did recapture it after some time.
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 87