Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 87

Author Topic: Starsector 0.9a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 468414 times)

Embolism

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.9a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #900 on: November 22, 2018, 10:14:16 PM »

I think Pirahnas should have LMGs back. Also Tridents should have Burst PD.

Vind

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: November 23, 2018, 02:08:11 AM »

Player faction is not even on factions page. Player character is basically grey cardinal manipulating owned colonies from the shadows but known to other factions only by personal deeds. 15-30 reputation loss for each defense ( as you cant control allied fleets -they will chain attack 2-3 times per fleet) against expedition fleet would be pretty big loss but maybe this is the idea for later as stopping the attack by diplomacy cost exactly 25 reputation.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: November 23, 2018, 02:41:17 AM »

I will say that it's wonky to have 'inofficial' hostilities, number one. And then that you take a reputation hit at all, number two. It sorta works to keep the player on his toes while not forcing him into all-out war, but I'd prefer this not be tied to fleet engagements. So that the player can actually participate. Making it preferable to let the fight happen AI vs AI is like the 'game doesn't want you to play it' trope.

How about just giving a flat -X points penalty after a successful defense, with no extra penalty for the player fighting expedition fleets?

The2nd

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: November 23, 2018, 02:58:02 AM »

Re: Colonies
Organically growing a colony from early-midgame on was a real struggle, and I had to max the colony skills to not lose the game to debt.  I would not want to do it that way again.  What I will do next game is play like in previous versions of Starsector - level up combat related skills and buildup fleet to about endgame strength, then plop down a colony and build it up very fast.

In my experience you don't need an endgame fleet or even close to that for a hyper successful and fast scaling colony. You just need a good location (some resources, hazard rating 125% or lower) and a lot of credits. Bonus points for some AI cores/Nano-forge or a fuel module.

In my first playthrough I started my colony while having only 2 cruisers some destroyers and frigates. I had done a lot of exploring and had 1M credits in the bank from selling blueprints. Just rush all relevant buildings and go free market. You should get a station up in time before the first raid and it was a cakewalk for me from there. Defend with your station as meat-shield and scale your fleet with industry. Soon enough the colony will solo most  incoming expeditions.   
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 03:00:13 AM by The2nd »

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: November 23, 2018, 04:36:07 AM »

Still, i assume 'rush all buildings before they know you're there' was not part of the design plan for colonies, otherwise you'd just have a button that says 'insert 1 million credits to start a colony and get a fully functioning setup that won't get crushed in two months'.

Sarissofoi

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: November 23, 2018, 04:55:37 AM »

Alex, does the debt from the spacer start have a maximum debt per month or can it just keep increasing forever?  Also, what exactly did the spacer do to be in that much debt? :)
It looks like it scale with your level. So I assume 50k max.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: November 23, 2018, 04:59:26 AM »

In my experience you don't need an endgame fleet or even close to that for a hyper successful and fast scaling colony. You just need a good location (some resources, hazard rating 125% or lower) and a lot of credits. Bonus points for some AI cores/Nano-forge or a fuel module.
I did not know hazard rating was a big deal at first.  I had a good location for my +175% water world, but there were no good low hazard locations near the core worlds.  I found a few low hazard worlds later further into the fringe, but that first colony is needed as a waystation toward my fringe colonies.

Early synchrotron means Diktat will raid my colony before I am ready to defend it.  My tech mine produced as much fuel or more than my fuel plant with synchrotron until my colony grew to size 5 or 6.  Even the tech mine was enough to send Diktat (and maybe Persean League too) against me.

But, before the expeditions, I had pirate attacks.  If I do not get combat skills, and I still only have an early or midgame fleet, even pirates will be hard to stop.  If you do not focus on combat related skills (and take exploration and colony skills instead), the difficulty spike in midgame will make things hard.

Draba

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: November 23, 2018, 07:09:35 AM »

Yep, just go for the cheap things(mine, farm, tech mine) and a lvl1 station to defend.
Don't add fuel/industry on a high hazard world if you do not have admin skills, at least a beta core or 6-7+ colony size.

Stations make combat really easy. Second playthrough I'm doing single colony, plopped it down the moment I got ~200K and defended it with apogee/player hammerhead/3 wolves.
Might be just high tech being good, didn't try the rest yet,

See the previous point, without skills and/or on medium-high hazard go for the cheap things + station + growth until you have enough cores(or 6+ size where anything works).
Any planet worthy of colonizing will bring in a few 10Ks right off the bat(low hazard => cheap, high hazard => you want it because it has lots of natural resources).
Hazard isn't a big deal, just means that:
- you can't use industry/fuel/refining on high hazard worlds in the early game, without cores and/or industrial planning
- you shoulnd't put industry/fuel/refining on high hazard worlds if you have lots of colonies(didn't run the numbers, might come slightly ahead with the extra market share if you only have 1-2 low hazard ones)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 07:13:22 AM by Draba »

Drone_Fragger

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: November 23, 2018, 07:58:43 AM »

Minor Typo Bug report that's not worth making it's own thread for:
Perdition Bombers (the luddic path jury rigged ludds hammer bomber) is incorrectly listed as High Tech. I would guess it should be listed as low tech given that it's both luddic path and jury rigged?

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: November 23, 2018, 08:29:27 AM »

@ Draba:  I discovered some of the finer points of multi-colony management you mentioned the hard way, and will probably do much what you say.  I probably will get max colony skills in every game because they are so fun.  I like having lots of colonies, and I like to have lots of money so I do not need to chase bounties if I do not feel like fighting.

For the moment, I have four colonies, my main 175 hazard water world which is now size 7 and still producing a little over 150k (without free port), a size 3 gas giant colony for volatiles (which I do not want to grow), a size 4 100% hazard terran eccentric much like water world minus the rare ore (wanted to freeze at size 3, but that was impossible), and a new 175% arid world much like first water world (colonized as a waypoint to find new colonies further into the fringe and inch closer to the "Red Planet" at the northeast corner of the sector), but further into the fringe.  For fourth colony, I want to freeze growth, and so far, my admins are doing that job.

Another Surveying check:  Found a research station in system near my fourth colony.  Looted it unskilled and it gave me Tempest blueprint, corrupted nanoforge, and pristine nanoforge - great haul!  Reloaded game, took Surveying 3, looted station to find... junk!  Yet another Ludd blueprint.  Maybe Odyssey blueprint too, except I already got that one earlier.  No nanoforges at all!  The rare stuff find was worse than unskilled!  At this point, I will never touch Surveying, because slightly more (but not necessarily better) loot overall is not worth three skill points!  1 may be convenient for the partial survey ability, but it is better to man up and pay for full survey to save the skill point.

After few in-game months of exploring, my stolen relay is still under League control.  (League expedition committing war crime by stealing my relay I built, and I cannot get it back without being insta-hostile to them?  Outrageous!)  I will probably sign for Hegemony commission just so I can be temporarily hostile to the League and reclaim the relay the League stole in my system, and raid their industry for blueprints while I am at it.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 08:31:24 AM by Megas »

Fandanguero

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: November 23, 2018, 09:04:24 AM »

So, system-wide bonus-giving structures are not defended and our patrols don't recapture them?

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: November 23, 2018, 09:07:01 AM »

I've been finding a LOT of officers recently, and I at one point had 10/4. (ie: Six more than I should have been able to have.)
And ALL of them cost upkeep regardless of whether they can be used or not. And they cannot be swapped with existing officers until you unlock more slots for them.
I dismissed all the 'extra' ones as that was all I could do with them, and felt mildly annoyed that I got something useless instead of more crew or organs.

Is it intentional to saturate the player with officers like this? Because it seems less than helpful.

Tried colonising again, this time rushing military structures as best I could.
Results are better, but that's one hell of a trap. And quite a railroaded sequence you need to follow.

Still not quite getting my head around how a months old size 3 colony out in the galactic sticks is out producing centuries old core worlds with several orders of magnitude more population, infrastructure and support enough that it's taken over a QUARTER of the market share for some goods.
Something between the sector economy and the player economy is way off. (Either the sector econ is too 'flawed', or the player econ is too 'good'.)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: November 23, 2018, 09:07:52 AM »

So, system-wide bonus-giving structures are not defended and our patrols don't recapture them?
I do not know.  Remnant fleet captured my relay one time.  I do not remember if I recaptured it or one of my small patrols did.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: November 23, 2018, 09:13:51 AM »

Just remembered one annoying thing.  I colonized a planet, but lacked the metal to build a relay.  I went back to another colony, got metal, came back, and the Independents built a relay in my system, and I cannot take it without becoming hostile to them.  They live in my colony and build the relay for their convenience.  Ungrateful squatters.  Needless to say, I reloaded the game, (EDIT) colonized planet (because the ruins on the planet had rare metal I need to build relay), then immediately built the relay.

Moral of the story, if you want to colonize in a system, claim all stable points and relays immediately.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 09:22:28 AM by Megas »

Creepin

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: November 23, 2018, 09:24:43 AM »

Excuse me if my question would qualify as offtopic here but I couldn't think of a better place since the question is exactly about 0.9.
I have been away from Starsector for a year or two so I started to forget technical details, but I vaguely remember one had to download some 3rd party software (I think it was Java) and dump it to Starsector folder in order for it to run without freezes, especially with a large amount of mods. Is it still the case for 0.9, or all I need to do is install new distributive and I'm good to go?
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 87