Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 87

Author Topic: Starsector 0.9a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 468406 times)

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.9a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #795 on: November 20, 2018, 10:35:20 AM »

• Hegemony Inspection industry disruption in case of hidden REDACTED reduced to maximum of 2 months
As an outspoken supporter of AI Core rights, I whole-heartedly support this. :)

Has it been said that the Orders tab under Command does anything yet?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 10:43:33 AM by The Soldier »
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: November 20, 2018, 10:45:30 AM »

much appreciated, Alex!

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: November 20, 2018, 11:02:42 AM »

Alex, can you check if the high-tech Star Fortress has Stealth Minefield module somewhere? None of the modules accessible in game does.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: November 20, 2018, 11:08:04 AM »

Two of the "main" modules have a ship system (via skin) that spawns mines. Unlike the low tech/midline stations, the high-tech one doesn't have a minefield per se, but rather those two modules spawning mines like the Doom does, except more/longer range.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: November 20, 2018, 11:09:52 AM »

Good decision to not wait until .1 to fix these issues!

So far I had a lot of fun with the update, although I find it rather hard to get used to the increased scope of things. Some of the finer points like deployment costs and battle strength of individual ships seem to have lost much of their import, with all the mega scale fleet fighting going on all the time, and the huge sums of credits being tossed around once you have a good colony. I have to collect my thoughts on that some more before I can draw any conclusions, though.

Oh, one thing: It's not strictly a bug, but you should probably not have the same bar encounters on your own colonies as you have on foreign planets. I just had to sneak a bunch of marines from my own planet, to avoid the "local authorities". I guess that meant dodging mirrors on my way out?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 11:22:53 AM by Gothars »
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

ciago92

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: November 20, 2018, 11:21:08 AM »

So far I had a lot of fun with the update, although I find it rather hard to get used to the increased scope of things. Some of the finer points like deployment costs and battle strength of individual ships seem to have lost much of their import, with all the mega scale fleet fighting going on all the time. I have to collect my thoughts on that some more before I can draw any conclusions, though.

Oh, one thing: It's not strictly a bug, but you should probably not have the same bar encounters on your own colonies as you have on foreign planets. I just had to sneak a bunch of marines from my own planet, to avoid the "local authorities". I guess that meant dodging mirrors on my way out?

That's at least partially addressed, as I know when I went to the bar I found a procurement/transport mission that started with "Oh! It's you!" or something to that effect, that they recognized who they were talking to.

also, I have to give props to Megas' "spam salvage debris field until nothing is left" strategy: just found a paragon blueprint on my 4th(!) salvage run of what had been a research station
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 11:23:30 AM by ciago92 »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: November 20, 2018, 11:23:00 AM »

That is silly.  It would be funny if the player replied "I own this colony.  I am the law!"

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: November 20, 2018, 11:48:12 AM »

Alex, is there a system in place to pace out the invasions of multiple factions? I love the way it is now actually, but I worry that once the mod factions start getting updated they will all start sending expeditions to player bases it'd be too overwhelming. I actually look forward to fighting their invasion fleets but I wouldn't want one every 20 days.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: November 20, 2018, 11:50:37 AM »

(The tutorial supplies bug really cinched it for me.)

So far I had a lot of fun with the update, although I find it rather hard to get used to the increased scope of things. Some of the finer points like deployment costs and battle strength of individual ships seem to have lost much of their import, with all the mega scale fleet fighting going on all the time, and the huge sums of credits being tossed around once you have a good colony. I have to collect my thoughts on that some more before I can draw any conclusions, though.

Yeah, I'm curious to see how it shakes out, myself. I think it's probably safe to assume stuff will get toned down a fair bit at some point, in terms of income, fleet numbers, and so on.

Hmm, yeah, maybe. On the other hand, there are levels of "local authorities" you probably don't want to undermine publicly, so it could be RP'ed in a few ways.

Alex, is there a system in place to pace out the invasions of multiple factions? I love the way it is now actually, but I worry that once the mod factions start getting updated they will all start sending expeditions to player bases it'd be too overwhelming. I actually look forward to fighting their invasion fleets but I wouldn't want one every 20 days.

There is, actually - maximum of two concurrent, and the rate at which factions get "angry" slows down when more factions (that send expeditions) are in play.

dandylions

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: November 20, 2018, 12:11:14 PM »

Amazing update for an amazing game. There are so many new hooks (buildings! slots within buildings! custom production!) that the possibilities for additional gameplay through mods or ongoing development makes me salivate.

A few comments, in no order in particular. This is coming from two most-games (as in up to level 35-45 in each, with a healthy empire going).

Does the underlying simulation tie into what the default AI-controlled markets offer for sale? If so, I am seeing some signs that entire sector economy takes a nosedive beginning right around when you start a new game. While that may be intended, the overall quality of weapons/LPCs/ships starts off significantly above equilibrium at the beginning.

- Markets - both open and black - seem to offer better stuff at the very beginning of the game. Particularly noticeable in terms of energy weapons and high-tech LPCs (the dual Atropos and Reaper torpedo bombers) at smaller, non-military markets. This inventory disappears within a few months and never appears again.
- The first expedition fleet sent against my colony in a game where I started a colony early on was a pristine Diktat fleet with two Conquests and almost no D-mods. No subsequent fleet has been as good from both the ship quality and quantity perspective. This is purely anecdotal though, as I haven't played multiple early colonization starts...

This may also lead to the "markets are emptier than they should be" issue. In the early colonization game, this also led to a dynamic where the first attack set the benchmark for what I could possibly expect, and the difficulty level would only decrease after that initial fleet.

-  -

I do think there's some funkiness around rolling for rare loot, as per Megas's earlier comments.

- Are you certain that the rare loot salvage skill does not cause weightings to change, specifically around blueprints? In one game, I went full salvage and exploration right off the bat. Due to the overwhelming amount of stuff to do, I did not get around to the story mission for the technology cache, so all rare items have been found organically. That fleet has a dozen nanoforges and synchrotron cores, a couple dozen AI cores, pretty much every hullmod, and yet has only managed to find the Luddic Path blueprint package... twice.
- Extremely low sample size for this, but there may also be a weird interaction with repeat/incomplete fights against dormant Remnant fleets. I did the "second in command" option against a small fleet and it took three separate attempts to fully wipe out the defending fleet. Each post-fight salvage report included the same rare loot. The lowest level AI core, to be clear, so not that rare, but I ended up with three of them from a defending fleet of four or five small Remnant ships.

I think rare loot should only roll on the first attempt; in any case, the "keep salvaging until literally nothing comes out" is not ideal behavior, but people will end up doing it if blueprints are what are at stake.

-  -

Random final thoughts:

- In early game fights where I did not have sabots, I kept seeing sabot explosions appear against enemy ships? This was early enough in the game that I definitely did not have Longbows and I tend not to use sabots normally, plus in some cases I am pretty sure I saw no missile, just the sabot cone appearing out of thin air. (I mean, that explosion is pretty distinctive, or am I overlooking a visually similar weapon?)
- Colony economics are a bit weird right now. As other have said, they can ramp up to make too much money too quickly. Maybe limit construction to one item at a time, increase the up-front costs, or both?
- Is it intended that star systems can spawn with zero "stable locations"? I pretty much abandoned by first game as a result of that, since flying 20- days round trip to get intel updates was becoming cumbersome. (This game was also hit by the issue where a pirate base would spawn continuously in the closest star system that had stable locations, so any attempt at using those for a comm relay would get taken by the pirates almost immediately.)

dandylions

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: November 20, 2018, 12:24:11 PM »

Oh, just to shoot myself and anyone else who uses this exploit in the foot. ;D It's been around as long as Sustained Burn has: you can blank your fleet inertia by pausing the game and double-tapping sustained burn. This allows you to change directions effectively instantly, as frequently as you want, with zero downsides.

Interestingly, the hyperspace storm speed boost cannot be manipulated in this manner.

And I agree that hyperspace has a bit too much weather. Or maybe too many clouds. Either way, manual control (with screen lock off) doesn't bring any real benefits for long-distance travel, in my opinion. The timing of the storms implies "surfing" is very much a valid strategy, but I'm not sure the visual cues are clear enough that this can be taken advantage of explicitly, rather than just dumb luck and timing.

Vayra

• Admiral
  • jangala delenda est
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: November 20, 2018, 12:26:29 PM »

god bless you alex for not taking our black hole colonies away from us
Kadur Remnant: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=6649
Vayra's Sector: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=16058
Vayra's Ship Pack: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=16059

im gonna push jangala into the sun i swear to god im gonna do it

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: November 20, 2018, 12:31:05 PM »

Does the underlying simulation tie into what the default AI-controlled markets offer for sale? If so, I am seeing some signs that entire sector economy takes a nosedive beginning right around when you start a new game. While that may be intended, the overall quality of weapons/LPCs/ships starts off significantly above equilibrium at the beginning.

To a degree - Pather cells ramp up attacks, and pirate bases grow over time, causing higher penalties to colony stability and accessibility.

That shouldn't cause huge/widespread changes in the availability of weapons, though. Individual colonies could get crippled - say, if Pathers disrupt a spaceport, that colony is in trouble - but overall, hmm.

... this also led to a dynamic where the first attack set the benchmark for what I could possibly expect, and the difficulty level would only decrease after that initial fleet.

Interesting - but later expeditions consist of a lot more fleets!

I do think there's some funkiness around rolling for rare loot, as per Megas's earlier comments.

- Are you certain that the rare loot salvage skill does not cause weightings to change, specifically around blueprints?

Yep, pretty positive. I mean, bugs are possible etc, but I just re-looked at the code and stepped through with a debugger, and everything looks good.

god bless you alex for not taking our black hole colonies away from us

Oh, crap, how could I forget! Hotfix incoming

Spoiler
Kidding, of course. Is that getting old yet?
[close]

Troll

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: November 20, 2018, 12:35:37 PM »

With the Nebula bug cleared, I currently only have one gripe left.
When fighting Remnants at probe (or other) locations solo, there tends to be one or two that will fly away from the battle and will wander around the map, making me hunt for it, sometimes calling low CR ships to locate it.
So far it's only the Bastion ones if I remember well / the one unique to such battles, that never appears in fleets otherwise.

Finally started a colony in my bounty hunting focused game. Found a great Terran planet not too far from the Hegemony systems to the east. The only problem is that it is in a high danger zone, which I didn't wipe before.
It turns out when I came back with 2 other Conquests and my whole stack of stuff I stashed in Jangala, the Remnants built a base and now the fleets are gigantic with no hope to dislodge with two or three times the firepower...
At least the incoming pirate raid shouldn't be very successful  ;D

dandylions

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: November 20, 2018, 01:02:41 PM »

That shouldn't cause huge/widespread changes in the availability of weapons, though. Individual colonies could get crippled - say, if Pathers disrupt a spaceport, that colony is in trouble - but overall, hmm.

I think you can pretty easily replicate this by starting a new game (with the tutorial) and hitting up all the non-pirate markets in Ancyra and Corvus (both of which are naturally on the route). And going to Askonia immediately after Corvus, too. Lots of beautiful blue LPCs and other things that should be "rare", and that you can't afford right now, but that you also know will never show up again.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 87