Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 87

Author Topic: Starsector 0.9a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 468351 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.9a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #780 on: November 19, 2018, 08:10:28 PM »

So Alex, think an RC10 hotfix might happen? For this issue and all the other ones fixed since RC9, then let things roll as they are while working on 0.9.1a. Some of the issues fixed since RC9 are pretty serious IMO, and this option is worth considering at the least perhaps after waiting another day or two for anything else that maybe should be corrected to be reported.

Hmm - I'm actually a bit hesitant because of the damage fix, since much of the playtesting was with the bug active. Let me think about it tomorrow, and look through the commits to see how confident I feel about it not breaking something else.

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: November 19, 2018, 08:20:51 PM »

I think we'd all rather have a game system that plays out in a consistent fashion, even if some things end up out of balance because of it. Unbalanced we can play with/around, but randomly occuring damage-buffs, ehhh.

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: November 19, 2018, 09:57:23 PM »

High tech station has mines which are really useful. Also the Fortress Shield ensures it survives while you soften the invading fleet, it's been working really well for me.
All of them should have mines when upgraded to Star Fortress.  (I have not fought anything that big yet.)

I know high-tech has Fortress Shield.  That is the only thing I see going for it.  It is a pain to kill, but other than that, offense of just beams and the occasional blaster is just not scary unless I try to solo it.  Against my fleet, high-tech station is simply not a threat.  The other types had significantly better offense and felt generally more dangerous.

I guess high-tech station is nice if you have a buff fleet and you want your station to not die from sustained assault.

So after some experimentation, I confirmed that stations follow the weapons you highlight in the doctrine, even those already built. Here is my high tech.

Spoiler
[close]

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: November 19, 2018, 10:09:54 PM »

Also, I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, but I've raided and bombed 3 stations in my game, and after about a year or so all 3 became decivilized. I didn't saturate bomb, I just raided them, took out their station and precise bombed them.

Now I can imagine that doing all that damage can eventually lead to them to perish, but all three of them? Very similar timespan too. If it's always like this I could probably cleanse the sector without declaring war with all factions at once.

Moreover, I feel that being hostile to a faction doesn't change things much. I imagined that being at war meant that they would often raid your stations and try to attack you but that never happened. In fact I never even received a single raid from them.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 10:11:52 PM by Cyan Leader »

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #784 on: November 19, 2018, 10:17:34 PM »

Also, I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, but I've raided and bombed 3 stations in my game, and after about a year or so all 3 became decivilized. I didn't saturate bomb, I just raided them, took out their station and precise bombed them.

Now I can imagine that doing all that damage can eventually lead to them to perish, but all three of them? Very similar timespan too. If it's always like this I could probably cleanse the sector without declaring war with all factions at once.
Oh, it takes a year? That would explain why it hasn't happened for me yet.

Yeah, markets will decivilize if their stability drops low enough for long enough, and tactical bombardment probably does too much stability damage.

Madao

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: November 19, 2018, 11:01:06 PM »

Alright, finally fixed this! Turns out a collision-related performance optimization (with the ominous commit message of "shouldn't break things, but it's possible") caused projectiles to occasionally - fairly frequently, even - to hit twice, provided another projectile hit, or was still existing and fading out, in almost exactly the same area in the same frame. So the PD laser wouldn't cause this issue, I believe, but the Ion Cannon and other projectile weapons would, whenever the torpedo hit while the projectile was still visible during/after its own impact.

So we now have TeamFortress 2 style critical hits lol

In all seriousness we can live with it awhile whilst you do your do.

Obsidian Actual

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: November 19, 2018, 11:38:23 PM »

• Got an administrator pod early on, didn't find a way to dismiss her without a colony. 2500/month isn't that much, was just an annoyance

(In case this hasn't been answered already)

@Draba: When you bring up the Comman(d) interface from the campaign, then go to Colonies (1), there should be a button on the right labelled "Manage administrators (Q)". You'll be able to dismiss them from there.

Lost a few thousand bucks for several months before I got around to finding it myself too.

StahnAileron

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: November 20, 2018, 12:51:59 AM »

Two things:
  • Bug: Is anyone else getting a bug where salvage attempts from battle debris fields can have tons of Nebula Passenger transports as recoverable hulls even if the battle had none of them in it at all. (I realized it was VERY odd when I got Nebulas after [REDACTED] fights or like 3-4 Nebs ONLY for a few other fights.) I'm not sure what causes this; it happens occasionally and there isn't anything I can think of that in common with each occurrence. Saw this in RC7 once or twice and now in RC9. I'm pretty sure I saw it non-modded in RC7. By RC9 I have a handful of utility mods installed and see it a bit more often (or so it seems; have spent more time in RC9 by now). Apologies in advance if this was mentioned already...
  • Request: In the Custom Production window, would it be much to add a column for the amount of items in-stock from your storage? (Not cargo holds or current fleet.) If combing ALL storage would be a problem, at least from the destination location? Seeing those numbers would help remind me what I need/should produce in the coming month(s).

The2nd

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: November 20, 2018, 01:31:59 AM »

Two things:
  • Bug: Is anyone else getting a bug where salvage attempts from battle debris fields can have tons of Nebula Passenger transports as recoverable hulls even if the battle had none of them in it at all. (I realized it was VERY odd when I got Nebulas after [REDACTED] fights or like 3-4 Nebs ONLY for a few other fights.) I'm not sure what causes this; it happens occasionally and there isn't anything I can think of that in common with each occurrence. Saw this in RC7 once or twice and now in RC9. I'm pretty sure I saw it non-modded in RC7. By RC9 I have a handful of utility mods installed and see it a bit more often (or so it seems; have spent more time in RC9 by now). Apologies in advance if this was mentioned already...

Yes happened to me several times as well. Nebula transport. Still on unmodded RC6.

Also is autofit behaving weirdly for anyone else?

Here is an example:
Spoiler
[close]

It is replacing the burst pd with regular pd despite enough being in my cargo holds. It's adding Reinforced Bulkheads as well despite the option turned off.

Draba

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: November 20, 2018, 01:53:52 AM »

Some more notes after a bit more time
  • Doom is super awesome now :)
  • A way to get specific blueprints for a high cost would be great(spying on factions for a possible rep hit, reverse engineer, whatever works).
    I can already build Paragon/Onslaught/Conquest but only have plasma cannons for L energy and couldn't fit my destroyer fleet with proper S/M weapons earlier.
    IMO AI cores/free loot/surveying are enough incentive to explore without being the only source of blueprints, running around the faction markets to get weapons is a chore.
    If getting blueprints is expensive enough(without being prohibitive) incentive is still to make do with what you have early, without the pain later on.
  • A way to reduce pirate/ludd tedium
    I would be happy to put a bounty on their bases or order a colony to send a fleet there. Doomfleet traveling weeks to swat a smallish base gets annoying.
    Alternative would be making them target large colonies very rarely, but with higher penalties and a big support base.
  • Early colonies could be a bit better
    Once you have enough to colonize it's better to just sit on the money until you get ~500K extra and plop down everything important at once, add starbase when spaceport finishes.
    Even without AI cores/free port factions will hate it with all their hearts and 100K in early bribes is still a lot, especially if you try to avoid the hegemony inspections.
  • IMO sector nebulas/storms are too common
    I'm playing in a mixed sector and they are everywhere. Storm riding is nice for flavor but I mostly just ignore them and plow through.
    Not ideal trading supplies for a tiny bit of fuel but nobody travels without sustained burn and dodging them would be impossible/a massive headache.
  • As others already mentioned, core systems are a massive free-for-all on top of a ship graveyard.
    In general the "just casually trying to destroy your infrastructure, not a war at all" thing feels strange.

Didn't see a recent roadmap so probably stating the obvious, something like an intelligence agency structure would be nice.
Can spend lots of money on discovering/killing ludd cells and stealing blueprints.

@Draba: When you bring up the Comman(d) interface from the campaign, then go to Colonies (1), there should be a button on the right labelled "Manage administrators (Q)". You'll be able to dismiss them from there.

Lost a few thousand bucks for several months before I got around to finding it myself too.

Of course I just didn't notice it, thanks :)

Yep, also seen lots of Nebula transports in salvage.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 03:36:37 AM by Draba »

DrakonST

• Captain
  • Lizard-Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: November 20, 2018, 02:16:17 AM »

Alex, what you think about bigger loot after battle against Guardian? In current moment almost no any sense to fight againts him. Maybe give after battle "Alpha Core"?
I a Russian. And i communicate with the help of Promt Translate. And I am a color-blind person.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: November 20, 2018, 04:25:23 AM »

@StahnAileron & The2nd: the Nebula salvage and autofit mismatch bugs have already been reported, yeah. a lot of players seem to encounter these.

• Request: In the Custom Production window, would it be much to add a column for the amount of items in-stock from your storage? (Not cargo holds or current fleet.) If combing ALL storage would be a problem, at least from the destination location? Seeing those numbers would help remind me what I need/should produce in the coming month(s).
i'd really like to see this as well. manually checking for any weapons i may or may not want to stock up on is a bit tedious, and a simple "x units in local storage" text or something along those lines would easily fix that issue.[/list]

Hiruma Kai

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: November 20, 2018, 07:23:08 AM »

Re: Pather bases, yeah, they're not that easy to find. When a faction posts a bounty on one you find out where it's located, and that's about it as far as "free" ways to find the location. Totally agree that there ought to be some other way to make progress on finding one, aside from scouring everything.

Hmm... How does one setup a "spy game" in a space game?  Have an intel officer in the comm directory after you build a specific industry, like a HQ?  Go to the bar, get a mission for "catch the spy" or "intercept the smugglers?" from kind of contact, and then hunt down a fleet in system who in turn knows the location of the base?  Spend credits for counter espionage like we do for convincing expedition fleets to go away from the intel screen?  Assign an AI core to finding them, who sometimes gets blown up by Pathers in response?

Actually, a second question is what are the ways to continue to find cores?  Should I not blow up all [REDACTED] stations?

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: November 20, 2018, 09:17:34 AM »

Re: Pather bases, yeah, they're not that easy to find. When a faction posts a bounty on one you find out where it's located, and that's about it as far as "free" ways to find the location. Totally agree that there ought to be some other way to make progress on finding one, aside from scouring everything.

Hmm... How does one setup a "spy game" in a space game?  Have an intel officer in the comm directory after you build a specific industry, like a HQ?  Go to the bar, get a mission for "catch the spy" or "intercept the smugglers?" from kind of contact, and then hunt down a fleet in system who in turn knows the location of the base?  Spend credits for counter espionage like we do for convincing expedition fleets to go away from the intel screen?  Assign an AI core to finding them, who sometimes gets blown up by Pathers in response?

Actually, a second question is what are the ways to continue to find cores?  Should I not blow up all [REDACTED] stations?

All the aspects of this would be so abstracted on the campaign map that you could probably insert a campaign-level process-of-elimination puzzle. I know for a fact there are some that'd fit really well and one is on the time of my tongue but I haven't slept and I can't quite bring it to mind

but ignoring citing another pre-existing example since that part of my brain has been hit by an ion beam; the text fluff for pather cells mentions they require support from pather fleets to function. You then could make it so killing pather fleets drops a broken intel that gives three pieces of market information that is relevant to three pather cells that use aliases (cell [a]'s market has a volatiles mine, cell 's market doesn't have a starport, cell [c]'s market is on a barren world). Different intel uses different aliases and it's up to the player to piece together the clues to figure out what the real market is (the other two are fake?). Dropping marines on the wrong world causes backlash, but bc it's just marines dropped in to kill what might have been pathers and not, like, a raid or a tactical bombing the repercussion isn't "targeted market goes hostile". Maybe the fake cells are pather traps and targeting the fake cells causes a pather cell (with no valueable cargo) to appear and strike your fleet from the nearest hiding terrain?

oh shoot that was the intel from the recent cold war x-com ripoff that had shockingly poorly implemented combat
aw well, that part was worth stealing and putting into a better game
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 02:57:46 PM by Deshara »
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: November 20, 2018, 10:27:24 AM »

Another hotfix (maybe at this point it's just "slightly warm fix") is up, RC10. See OP for list of changes/fixes.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 87