Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 87

Author Topic: Starsector 0.9a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 468444 times)

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.9a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #645 on: November 18, 2018, 05:15:36 AM »

Hell I could rebuild stuff faster then it takes for them to recover. I just might even.
Don't, it doesn't influence the disruption timer. Complying with inspection is a trap, it's better to bribe them or even flip them off.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: November 18, 2018, 05:20:03 AM »

Hell I could rebuild stuff faster then it takes for them to recover. I just might even.
Don't, it doesn't influence the disruption timer. Complying with inspection is a trap, it's better to bribe them or even flip them off.

Fair. If the colony was working then 200,000 bribes seem more then fine as that's pocket change to me now. Or was.

But I figured they would get mad, not atom bomb my capital. Should have done anything else really.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: November 18, 2018, 06:33:27 AM »

Found a Reinforced Bulkheads hullmod, it dropped for an invasion fleet iirc. I thought those weren't supposed to drop anymore? I mean, it's learned by default and all.

Volfgarix

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: November 18, 2018, 07:14:07 AM »

Decided to found a colony on planet with ultrarich ore and ultrarich transplutonics.
The catch?
It's a goddamn volcanic planet, 250% hazard rating. It turned into moneysink, obviously, but maybe things will turn around when I get heavy industries...
On top of that Pathers created a cell in that colony, they're going to wreck things for sure and I'm too weak to deal with their station, so yep, I'm screwed.
What do?

Edit: Guess what? Sindrian Diktat sends an expeditionary force, they're mad over my production of transplutonics...
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 07:30:11 AM by Volfgarix »

Madao

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: November 18, 2018, 07:33:09 AM »

As always, thank you for your hard work.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: November 18, 2018, 07:40:39 AM »

I should stop complaining a for a while. I tried to make two colonies at first, and while one was going along, even if slowly, the other was just a total failure. I then abandoned it, almost went broke, but eventually colonised some easy going planet, with farming, mining, refining, industry. After intensive scavenging custom production is so good, I actually forgot I don't have any commission (that, and loot from derelicts/redacteds is just too good). It went a lot better than the older colony, which was the most noticeable in the fact that, indeed, trading fleets were flying there and doing stuff. It was rewarding to see and also an indicator of progress. I recall seeing scavengers and prospectors more, at first, but now it's mainly giant fleets hauling supplies and ships back to the core.
Speaking of that, heavy industry seems to be a bit broken at the moment; it does everything and it's pretty easy to get big. My size 5 colony is now the biggest supplier of supplies, heavy machinery, armaments and ships, making about 3 times as much as it costs to maintain. On the other hand, light industry doesn't seem to be worth it even in ideal conditions!

Decided to found a colony on planet with ultrarich ore and ultrarich transplutonics.
The catch?
It's a goddamn volcanic planet, 250% hazard rating. It turned into moneysink, obviously, but maybe things will turn around when I get heavy industries...
On top of that Pathers created a cell in that colony, they're going to wreck things for sure and I'm too weak to deal with their station, so yep, I'm screwed.
What do?

Edit: Guess what? Sindrian Diktat sends an expeditionary force, they're mad over my production of transplutonics...
Have as little infrastructure on high hazard planets as possible. Colonise low hazard worlds (desert, tundra, the like) and build the infrastructure there, where it's cheaper and it's easier to increase colony size.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: November 18, 2018, 07:51:00 AM »

That's along the lines I have been thinking. Are hazardous worlds filled with mineral wealth worth colonising at all? It's not like we can colonize the whole sector with the games built in limits, so should we all be holding off on the colonisation for those super worlds filled with grass and wealth?

Anything else seems like a bad investment.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: November 18, 2018, 08:23:33 AM »

Thank you for your feedback/bug reports/etc, everyone! Made a whole bunch of notes.

(@Megas: let's say you buy 1 ticket and win the lottery. Then you buy 10 tickets and don't win the lottery. Would you conclude that buying 10 tickets gives you a worse chance of winning? Because that exactly maps to the situation in-game, since just due to how the RNG works, getting +50% salvaging essentially means a re-roll. But it also mean a re-roll for the "bad" rolls, too.)

Re: high-hazard worlds - I wouldn't build anything except for Mining there. That could be profitable, but high-upkeep industries would likely not be, or would be more profitable elsewhere.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: November 18, 2018, 08:26:50 AM »

Re: high-hazard worlds - I wouldn't build anything except for Mining there. That could be profitable, but high-upkeep industries would likely not be, or would be more profitable elsewhere.
Actually I built my first colony on a 200% Hazard rating world.  Turned out fine in the end after liberal use of AI Cores, but it certainly didn't produce as much profit.  Heavy Industry, Mining, Tech-Mining, Spaceports, all make it useful enough to be my main base.  Kinda overlooked the maintenance penalty the first time around, and by time I did see it, it was too late to Abandon the colony.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 08:50:44 AM by The Soldier »
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: November 18, 2018, 08:33:09 AM »

Alex, can you explain how does the intel screen calculate a planet's worth? It values high-hazard planets way too much. Do gas giants get their own, unique buildings, or what? I haven't colonised any, but I can't see why would I (I can just settle a cryovolcanic planet instead and get some ores as well). Barren, rocky, etc. planets seem to have a similar issue.
And nebulas don't slow anything in combat anymore, and you can zoom to see way more than tactical screen shows you. Did I mention that custom production can stack any hullmods it wants, including DTC and ITU on a Heron?

Volfgarix

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: November 18, 2018, 08:48:21 AM »

1. Managed to get money for the bribe for Diktat
2. Tri-Tachyon wanted the fun, too, had no money for them. Miraculously managed to fight them off. Dear god, they had phase ships and two herons.
3. Net income for my colony is about -$18000, so I THINK that if I manage to upgrade, then colony might be able to pay for itself.
4. I was considering getting heavy industries, but i will have to wait for a while
5. I have to survive by taking bounties and other missions
6. Money from academy has run out
7. I wonder if getting AI cores will be worth getting in trouble with/paying off Hegemony, I got decent relations with them.
8. There is a planet (200% hazard score) with Widespread Ruins in my system, I heard tech mining is profitable.
Current state of my first colony ever.
Spoiler

[close]
Have as little infrastructure on high hazard planets as possible. Colonise low hazard worlds (desert, tundra, the like) and build the infrastructure there, where it's cheaper and it's easier to increase colony size.
I had problem finding low-hazard world with decent resource, originally I wanted to get with decent farmland.

Edit: Holy crap, the colony grew to size 5. Apparently hundreds of thousand people like this hellhole. Hopefully income will rise a bit.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 08:58:42 AM by Volfgarix »

orost

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: November 18, 2018, 09:14:15 AM »

So, uh, I guess I'm not allowed to have a colony.

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

Two capital fleets roll in to raid my size-4 colony and put it into -110k per month for 6 months. (It peaked at +25k per month previously.)

Not super sure what the lesson is here - don't start colonies until I'm ready to go toe-to-toe against the main powers of the Sector?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 09:17:32 AM by orost »

Volfgarix

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: November 18, 2018, 09:22:32 AM »

NEEEEEVEEERMIIIIND
Hegemony already wants to wreck my colony because of "Free Port" status. At least I didn't have to spend money, they liked me enough.

EDIT: AW SHIET I GOT SYNCHROTRON CORE.

So, uh, I guess I'm not allowed to have a colony.

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

Two capital fleets roll in to raid my size-4 colony and put it into -110k per month for 6 months. (It peaked at +25k per month previously.)

Not super sure what the lesson is here - don't start colonies until I'm ready to go toe-to-toe against the main powers of the Sector?

The lesson is that you should have some green on you. Money=power, simple.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: November 18, 2018, 09:37:35 AM »

7. I wonder if getting AI cores will be worth getting in trouble with/paying off Hegemony, I got decent relations with them.
8. There is a planet (200% hazard score) with Widespread Ruins in my system, I heard tech mining is profitable.
AI Cores are quite useful, when used moderately.  Otherwise the Hegemony get involved and you end up having to give them up or have your facilities disabled for an unreasonably long amount of time.

Tech-Mining on Widespread (or larger) Ruins will instantly earn you the ire of the Persean League and Sindrian Diktat.  Tell me about it, both of those factions have decided to raid my base regularly, at the same time, every 6 months or so.  I literally can't leave my colony alone nowadays, they'll just have their asses handed to them.  I did just get the reward for a certain story arc though, and I've yet to test it, so maybe that'll improve my chances.  Orbital Stations and their upgrades have been pretty much useless in my experience, as the raid fleets are becoming so big and numerous not even that combined with my patrols are doing anything useful.

Something else I noticed is the Colossus Mk.III is slightly more useful now.  This is 2-fold - it now has 2 (!) Fighter Bays, and it, in fact, does NOT have the "Converted Hangar" built-in hullmod which would make bombers cost 100% more OP + 25% damage taken increase and -17% speed, but rather it's own dedicated "Converted Cargo Bay" built-in hull mod, which has the same effects but doesn't increase OP cost.  Also has Ground Support Package, which makes the hordes of these that pirates bring with them utterly unstoppable.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 09:41:46 AM by The Soldier »
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: November 18, 2018, 09:40:26 AM »

Alex, can you explain how does the intel screen calculate a planet's worth?

It's just a sum of some internal values based on the conditions; iirc it's related to how much XP you get for surveying it. It's no meant to be an objective "this is better or worse" thing, just a quick way to see what might be more interesting.

Did I mention that custom production can stack any hullmods it wants, including DTC and ITU on a Heron?

Hmm, odd. Pretty sure there's a bug in autofit - it *can* do this, but there shouldn't be a situation where it ever *would*, but apparently that does come up.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 87