Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 87

Author Topic: Starsector 0.9a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 468394 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.9a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #615 on: November 17, 2018, 12:48:09 PM »

I mean, when I clearly have the superior force but can't win the battle in any meaningful way because I just don't have enough time to destroy all those fast, teleporting REDACTED just turns that battle into a save-scum fest.

Seems like a legitimate use of a "deploy a ship or two, wear them out, deploy mop-up force" tactic, since it'd be so fast. But perhaps I'm underestimating the impact of the event horizon. Still, a minute seems like it ought to be enough time for a superior fleet to clean out 0-cr enemies. Honestly, I hear what you're saying, but I'd really have to see it for myself.

Congrats on the big update Alex.

Thank you!

It feels like relearning parts of the game with how much has been added / changed.
I took the Apogee start to get quickly get a feel of the colony system (and surveying in general, since I never played a surveyor game). It's great how it quickly throws the player in the late early game but might be confusing for new players. It's a great ship choice in any case since it has the bonuses, is sturdy and yet not too powerful for the start.

I colonized a system very early and managed to upgrade it a lot even though I didn't properly manage my stability and was raided early on.
It was a sector north-east of the core one, with 2 planets of 3 (barren) with medium and large ruins specifically. I felt like I was a prospector from the Cosmic Computer uncovering caches from the war with my Tech Mines  ;)
All my money went in it and it soon became a prime fuel (hail to the synchroton) and metals exporter and thus was I doomed.
I was raided all the time, and my still infant but overly teched colony was becoming a nightmare.

The 1st raid took down the Fuel factory, the 2nd the Tech mine.
The 3rd raid by both the Dictat and League took down the Megaport for a full year.
After a few month of learning and trying to survive without it, I was 700 000 credits in debt. By then I decided to sell almost everything of the colony and see what would work. It works somewhat, but it's a lot of lost time.

tl,dr : Be strong before you try to be the economic powerhouse the others don't want you to be.

Ahh, yeah. In retrospect, probably should've cut the losses before going that far into the red, but that's a tough choice to make. At least you've still got the Synchrotron!

Troll

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: November 17, 2018, 12:56:32 PM »

Ahh, yeah. In retrospect, probably should've cut the losses before going that far into the red, but that's a tough choice to make. At least you've still got the Synchrotron!

'twas all in the name of science.
To see how far one can go and still rebound. My answer was, not very far.

SpaceMonster

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: November 17, 2018, 01:51:07 PM »

I noticed a black hole that was marked as "Unsurveyed". If I clicked on it action '1' was survey, but it was greyed out. Methinks those shouldn't even be surveyable in the first place.

The custom production tab should show storage amounts of the items (well, storage of the gathering point).
Too many times I've taken a look at it an wondered how many X I have and what I need more of. I have to go to the planet, check storage, and try to remember what's needed as I go back and forth between screens.

On that point, I'd love a way to remotely view the storage contents of a colony.

PS: Thanks for keeping me up till 4am yesterday.  :P

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: November 17, 2018, 02:06:12 PM »

I noticed a black hole that was marked as "Unsurveyed". If I clicked on it action '1' was survey, but it was greyed out. Methinks those shouldn't even be surveyable in the first place.

Whats wrong with surveying a black hole? You can fit a lot of stuff in there.
I think is easy for Simba and Mufasa sing the Circle of Life when they're on the top of the food chain, I bet the zebras hate that song.

Cigarettes are a lot like hamsters. Perfectly harmless, until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: November 17, 2018, 02:35:40 PM »

So, I just had an...incident with an Alpha AI Core.  Alex will know what it means. :) Spoiler territory ahead!  As well as feedback on ensuing incidents.

Spoiler
So, having put an Alpha AI Core as the head of my first colony because I couldn't afford to use an administrator (and I hadn't any of the skills to improve player colony management), this core eventually got cozy and refused to leave.  Blackmailed me to keep it there on threat of revealing I was using AI Cores to the sector.  So of course I left it there grudgingly, but I wanted it out.

So a couple of cycles later, the Hegemony caught up the idea that there might not be a human running that colony and sent an Inspection Fleet.  Seeing a prime opportunity to get rid of that pesky Alpha core, I let them go in and take the cores away.  However, a funny thing I noticed is that if I try to remove the core, it gets offended and goes into hiding to strike out at another time (the consequences of which I haven't explored), but the Hegemony Inspection Fleet seems to have no problems finding it and doesn't result in the "Rogue AI Core" negative trait the colony gets.  Works fine for me.

The one thing I'm concerned with is the Inspection Fleet absolutely ravages the entire colony, and not just the facilities that had AI Cores in them.  There wasn't a single facility in my colony that wasn't disrupted for more than 120 days, most of them at 245 days.  This is absolutely worse than anything else the game can throw at you, and there's the one upside to getting rid of that pesky AI core is hardly worth the effort.  The force is within legal bounds, meaning you can't fight back without incurring massive penalties.  Bribing the force off / using political clout is the ONLY remotely reasonable way to deal with this - you can't remove AI cores to hide them - the end result won't change - and it won't even get rid of the "Rogue AI Core" trait if you removed the Alpha Core previously.  In fact, compared to the damage this can do, bribing off the force is more than worth the cost that would be incurred if they found the cores in the first place - I would go into a death spiral of -312,000 credits a month if I let this event play through.

I'd suggest some changes to this.  Compared to other expedition / raid events, this is a shotgun blast rather than a pinpoint target like raiding is.  If all the facilities are going to be disrupted, it can't be for more than 15 days at the very most (searching is hardly equivalent to damaging and disrupting the facility as in raids, which for reason reason it has even more of an impact than).  30 for those facilities that did have cores in them, to be fair.  This puts this event back in line, where it should be.
[close]
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 02:49:54 PM by The Soldier »
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Volfgarix

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: November 17, 2018, 02:37:18 PM »

I was caught near Kanta's Den by small fleet of pirates, at first I thought I would be fine because the station cannot chase me and small pirate fleet won't do much alone against me.
Boom, turns out I had to lose few ships to be able to walk away from stationary threat.

There is a bug(?) that seems to be from at least 0.8 version - when you run out of fuel in hyperspace and start drifting towards star, you can slow down by going dark. It seems like you can drift slower in the river if turn out lights on ship. It's not something critical, but sorts of bother me.

Besides that, everything is alright so far, the new mission system is fun and at last I can get some decent trade info. The news about valuable convoys is neat as well, previously I had to chase around for non-indie trade fleets and count for luck.
Still didn't get to the colony stuff, still getting resources for that.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 02:51:57 PM by Volfgarix »

DrakonST

• Captain
  • Lizard-Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: November 17, 2018, 02:39:40 PM »

>:D
Spoiler
[close]

When it can be fixed?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And Alex, multiple enemy strike fleets it normal? Or it bug?
Spoiler
[close]
Or this? Then more i play then more big everything...
Spoiler
[close]
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 02:43:02 PM by DrakonST »
I a Russian. And i communicate with the help of Promt Translate. And I am a color-blind person.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: November 17, 2018, 02:51:57 PM »

@TheSoldier:
Spoiler
(Let's just say there's a different outcome if you don't try to outsmart them by hiding the cores they're expecting to find!)
[close]

When it can be fixed?

For the .1 release, whenever that is. While it's silly, it's also very minor :)

And Alex, multiple enemy strike fleets it normal? Or it bug?

Normal! Subsequent expeditions get bigger and bigger, to a point.

Got caught near Kanta's Den by small fleet of pirates, at first I thought I would be fine because the station cannot chase me and small pirate fleet won't do much alone against me.
Boom, turns out I had to lose few ships to be able to walk away from stationary threat.

Yeah, that bit is definitely a bit awkward.

orost

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: November 17, 2018, 02:57:21 PM »

I have a colony now, and also some feedback.

* I don't really get some things about colony economy. I have a couple Gamma AI cores, and I tried installing them, but reducing demand for commodities seems to have no effect on the bottom line, even if it reduces how much of them the colony needs to import. Do imports not cost the colony at all? In fact, if installing a gamma core does anything at all, it is to decrease the net income slightly, which I don't understand at all.
* I ended up in a situation where I was out of supplies at my own colony, sucking them up from stockpile as they trickled in, waiting to very slowly accumulate enough to make a trip somewhere to buy them. I felt a bit ridiculous, considering I was hovering over a supplies factory *and* a spaceport capable of importing supplies, both of which I owned. I would love a way to tap more deeply into a colony's resources if necessary, even if it has negative effects.
* My colony was raided by a pirate force. The only effect of that I can see is -1 stability, and I *presume* this is because the force was small and the colony had ground defenses, so the raid was not very successful. But I don't know. Some feedback here would be welcome.
* Something minor, but maybe it shouldn't happen: I got into a fight with repairs suspended. I lost one ship in it, and recovered it. Instantly after the battle, before I could do anything at all like resume repairs, an accident triggered, destroying the ship.
* While exploring, sometimes I want to suspend repairs to save supplies. This is problematic in this version because at any time a storm hit can drop a ship to 0% CR, which is an inconvenience with repairs on but a danger with them off. So if I have repairs off, every single time I take a storm bump I have to into the fleet screen, scan to see if anything is down to 0, if it is unsuspend repairs on it, then remember to suspend them back a moment later once it's above 10%. It gets old. I would love an option like "essential maintenance only", that spends enough supplies to prevent accidents but no more, or perhaps just make suspending repairs work that way - I don't see myself ever choosing to not do that.

Now that I'm done complaining, let me just say that the update is fantastic and I enjoy it very much!

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: November 17, 2018, 03:06:59 PM »

Regarding my Alpha Core incident:
Spoiler
I suppose that works.  Nothing bad at all happens - cores are expendable and my wallet is not, and that damnable Alpha Core is also gone without any side effects.  I can swap out Betas for Gammas without them being the wiser, but the effects of attempting to hide them are still far too severe.  This is the first time I've ran into that inspection event, and with my colony being so far along the consequences were massive.  I also do suggest having the Inspection remove any Rogue Alpha Core as well for the sake of being consistent - the rumor mill does start about the rogue Alpha Core after all, according to the description.
[close]

EDIT:
So, something I've noticed.  A Pirate base keeps on getting rebuilt in a system literally right next to my colony.  I've totally destroyed it 3 times, making sure to wipe out the rest of the pirate presence in the system, but it keeps on getting rebuilt every few months.  Now it's cropped up again for a 4th time.  Is that intended?  Honestly it's starting to mundane.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 03:30:15 PM by The Soldier »
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: November 17, 2018, 03:29:10 PM »

So...I have 3 colonies, a High Command on one of them, major fleet patrols and a booming economy the rest of the Sector keeps trying to tear down.

But, I still have no idea how to use the "Orders" tab under Command. What am I missing?

Shoat

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: November 17, 2018, 03:46:41 PM »

So... when my colony grew from size 3 to size 4, it suddenly required like 314 quadrillion consumer goods every month. I assume this has something to do with having had an AI core installed to the base colony thing (reduces required goods by 1) and the whole thing underflowing.

Restarting the game seems to have fixed it (I forgot to make a screenshot to show here, so i booted the game up again and saw it was fixed), but you obviously need to know about stuff like this.

I am, however, now stuck with an absurdly huge debt because I left "fix deficits from stockpile" on and my colony apparently just bought all those 314 quadrillion consumer goods from the internet and paid with my credit card. I might have to get the console commands mod and fix that manually.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: November 17, 2018, 04:31:19 PM »

* Complaint:  Salvaging 3 often does not give me more rare loot, but instead changes the rare loot I get.  Instead of getting extra on top of the more useful general-purpose packages, those useful packages get replaced by crap like Luddic Church, Luddic Path, and/or Pirates' hack packages.  One time, unskilled found a synchrotron.  Level 3 did not get the synchrotron, but got corrupted nanoforge instead.  In terms of rare loot found, Salvaging 3 looks like a total dud of a skill.  Lower levels may or may not replace loot.

Hmm, you can't just compare the results of two rolls like that. If there's a 1/10 chance to get a Synchroton, and you bump it up to 1.5 out of 10 and re-roll and don't get one (or get something else) that doesn't mean that 1.5 out of 10 is worse than 1 out of 10, if that makes sense.
I would think the synchrotron would appear regardless of skill level, and extra items may or may not appear.  So far, the main effect of the skill is to replace blueprints or other rare items I want with other rare items I do not want as much.  I may or may not get more items.  To use a Diablo II example, it feels like unskilled Salvaging gives me Windforce (elite unique), while level 3 Salvaging gives me one or two among Griswold's Edge, Frostburn, and Nagelring (low level uniques).  Or, rune example, unskilled gives me a Ber rune, while Salvaging 3 gives me Tal, Ral, and Ort for Ancient's Pledge.

I tried about six or so ruined planets or abandoned stations, and all but one time, the rare items simply changed to something else (often Ludd blueprint junk instead of more useful generic blueprints).  I do get more weapons and other vendor trash... which I do not care about (enough to give up three skill points).  I have not explored too much yet, and I still test more locations I find.

However, if I want to max Salvaging, I feel like I can exploit this by looting few of the stashes while unskilled, then max the skill to get what I am guessing what the game thinks is rarer or more valuable stuff to spawn.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 04:36:15 PM by Megas »

Shoat

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: November 17, 2018, 04:39:54 PM »

So, little design question here:

You can get a fuel production in a colony that seems to produce 1 fuel per tick for the cost of 1 canister of blue.

The game tells me of a legendary "synchotron" relic that can let you produce fuel out of thin air... but simply installing an AI core onto the fuel production industry will reduce the demand of the fuel production industry to zero and allow infinite free fuel to flow.

So unless the synchotron also does something else on top of making fuel production free (haven't gotten one yet so I can't see for myself), I see very little reason for it to exist.

DrakonST

• Captain
  • Lizard-Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: November 17, 2018, 04:48:11 PM »

Alex, why [REDACTED] station have so small loot after battle?
Spoiler
[close]

And why all another stations dont have officers?
I a Russian. And i communicate with the help of Promt Translate. And I am a color-blind person.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 87