Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 87

Author Topic: Starsector 0.9a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 468294 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.9a (In-Dev) Patch Notes
« Reply #450 on: November 01, 2018, 10:29:16 PM »

I mean, fighters already get a speed boost when moving into position relative to their wing leader, and I don't remember anyone worrying too much about that :) So just think of this as improving the consistency of fighter mechanics across the board.

Could we just order fighters to stay docked instead?

Hmm. It's more controls, it reduces the ability of pressure on the carrier to deal with its fighters, and it reduces the ability of the player to at-a-glance evaluate the state of a carrier's fighters, both friendly and enemy.

For this particular case, I think it also probably wouldn't work very well because it would still require fighters to catch up with a moving carrier, or for the carrier to stop/slow down - which is actually a tough problem to solve for the AI, because of so many conflicting considerations, and a pain for the player.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: November 01, 2018, 10:30:33 PM »

How much of a speed boost are you talking about here Alex? For catching up with the carrier when set to regroup.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: November 01, 2018, 10:35:01 PM »

Up to the carrier's speed plus 20, right now. Which, generally speaking, means a slight boost to the slower bombers/Warthog when they're used with CH or Defective Manufactory, and that's mostly it. They don't zoom around or anything.

Chronosfear

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: November 02, 2018, 11:09:57 AM »

Spoiler
so is the update coming before Christmas ?

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

:-X

I'm more-or-less 90% sure (there's 10% uncertainty there) from my reading that altering Converted Hangars in that way is a reaction to min-maxing strategies that add Converted Hangars to (nearly) every ship in the fleet.

While I still have a lot to learn about the game in its most recent iteration, I'm approaching the endgame in my current run, and I feel I know enough now to guarantee that I'd never put the altered version of that mod on a ship for any reason. I can think of a whole lot more use for 25-30+ total OP on a cruiser than installing a single hangar bay that produces one wing of slow fighters or bombers that die twice as quickly.

Been playing around with this loadout in my current playtesting run:

Spoiler
[close]

I think this sort of general build has potential - bombers especially really give a combat ship a capability it otherwise wouldn't. Even if you just think of them in terms of being unlimited missiles - with extended range, to boot - the OP costs start to get fairly close what getting said missiles plus expanded racks, never mind that it doesn't need slots, and that it can be combined with other stuff the ship has to offer which normal carriers don't. And for bombers the penalties barely matter (hence the higher OP cost).

So for the Enforcer, it's able to provide consistent longer-range support, while being very much a brick, *and* having good punch with its torpedoes. Is it better than a Drover? Definitely not as far as just fighters go, but it's also cheaper, can hold up much better to being outnumbered, and has a decent shot at turning the tide with a few well-placed torpedoes. Haven't had *too* much playtime with it yet, though, just got that setup going today.

That said, yeah, it's definitely meant to be more a niche thing - something that changes how a ship plays entirely rather than enhancing its normal playstyle, if that makes sense. Sort of like SO in that sense. And it may indeed need a touch more balancing, we'll have to see!

(Edit: I should add, this is an early game build - my first ship past the initial "mercenary" start - so the choices are largely driven by what's available vs what would be exactly ideal.)

[close]

STAP teasing use... it hurts that we are not allowed to play  ;D

I also think the Warthog nerv is to much while Talons for 2OP seems fair.
It was OP but I am not sure if its still worth using. But well we just need to test it... sooooo let us test it?  ::)
The rest seems solid pretty solid to me.

Honestly I'am very hyped to play the next version ... again ...
Great work. Keep on it!
Be the change that you wish to see in the world.

My words are backed with nuclear weapons
Gandhi (Civ)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: November 02, 2018, 11:46:47 AM »

Sorry not sorry :)

(An update on that Enforcer: took on a tough bounty and managed to win after quite a few tries. Then tried it with a more conventional loadout for the Enforcer, still under AI control - Mauler, Hypervelocity Driver, and so on. Didn't feel different in terms of difficulty, so the CH build doesn't seem like it's *too* far off. I'm putting points into combat skills, though, which 1) indirectly buffs any support builds and 2) means that what the flagship does matters a lot more than what the other ships do.)

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: November 02, 2018, 11:49:10 AM »

Up to the carrier's speed plus 20, right now. Which, generally speaking, means a slight boost to the slower bombers/Warthog when they're used with CH or Defective Manufactory, and that's mostly it. They don't zoom around or anything.
Sounds about right.  I'm a tiny bit concerned that bombers are going to be able to skedaddle a bit too quick after they've dropped their payload, but I could only be sure if I had it in front of me.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Vayra

• Admiral
  • jangala delenda est
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: November 02, 2018, 06:07:02 PM »

Sounds about right.  I'm a tiny bit concerned that bombers are going to be able to skedaddle a bit too quick after they've dropped their payload, but I could only be sure if I had it in front of me.

It sounds like it should be fine on any of the carriers in the base game -- bombers without a debuff already have quite a bit higher than 100 speed (Heron's 80 speed + 20) so it sounds like this will mostly be useful for countering the debuffs from CH or D-mods, or adding a tiny boost to especially slow bombers on especially fast carriers (SO + unstable injector drover?  :P) at best. Mods that add stuff like fast destroyer or frigate carriers will definitely need to rebalance, though!
Kadur Remnant: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=6649
Vayra's Sector: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=16058
Vayra's Ship Pack: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=16059

im gonna push jangala into the sun i swear to god im gonna do it

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: November 02, 2018, 07:14:04 PM »

It sounds like it should be fine on any of the carriers in the base game -- bombers without a debuff already have quite a bit higher than 100 speed (Heron's 80 speed + 20) so it sounds like this will mostly be useful for countering the debuffs from CH or D-mods, or adding a tiny boost to especially slow bombers on especially fast carriers (SO + unstable injector drover?  :P) at best. Mods that add stuff like fast destroyer or frigate carriers will definitely need to rebalance, though!
I'm assuming here that Alex meant the carrier's Top Speed + the 0-flux boost, which is also what I was intending.  The Heron is very nippy at 130 speed with that boost - more if you include hull mods.  The Warthog only has a top speed of 130, and nearly all the bombers have less than 200 speed, the required speed to keep up with a 130 mothership that has either of the aforementioned d-mods.

Though, come to think of it, the Warthog currently as it stands with these changes would be crawling along at 86 speed with the -33% speed bebuff when Engaged.  That's brutal, it's a suicide mission for those guys.  Better be packing Recovery Shuttles.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: November 02, 2018, 07:35:47 PM »

I think that Recall might become poor-man's recall device.  For a ship that is faster than its bombers, it might sense for ship to Recall after bombers drop their bombs so they return faster, then toggle back to Engage after they return to rearm.

Perhaps bombers returning to rearm should automatically speed up to Recall speed (if that is faster) so that player does not need to fiddle with the Engage/Recall toggle to squeeze out maximum performance.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: November 02, 2018, 07:53:57 PM »

Good point, did that. This is not going to affect much - just some of the bombers, and then only with the CH/etc speed debuff, not much else - but might as well.

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: November 05, 2018, 10:25:44 AM »

Has there been any changes to music in the new version? As in combat music and things like that.

Bishi

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: November 07, 2018, 05:53:45 AM »

Damn you for posting interesting updates. I was ok for most of a year not checking on Starsector now its back to every day to see if the new version has been released!  ::)

Embercloud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: November 07, 2018, 03:03:03 PM »

Damn you for posting interesting updates. I was ok for most of a year not checking on Starsector now its back to every day to see if the new version has been released!  ::)
Same here, sometimes several times a day.

AgroFrizzy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: November 11, 2018, 08:25:57 AM »

Same here, sometimes several times a day.

This. I've been checking twitter for updates too. It's madness.

Merxe

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: November 11, 2018, 11:19:31 AM »

I just finished Witcher 3 and thought "let's go see if that Starsector patch has been released".
Damn :(

Well, more waiting I guess.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 87