Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 87

Author Topic: Starsector 0.9a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 468492 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.9a (In-Dev) Patch Notes
« Reply #225 on: September 03, 2018, 06:42:34 PM »

I'm also secretly hoping for another High Tech destroyer, maybe another small Energy weapon that deals hard flux, and a [REDACTED] Capital ship of some sort...if we're posting wish lists. :)

Hmmm! (One, possibly two out of three. Which ones? I'll never tell!)

(P.S. Did the Terminator Drone get changed, altered, or is that a new option? Looks like two drones with a PD Laser and IR Pulse.)

Yeah, it got changed. 2 in a wing, no shields, a bit more sturdy, PD + IR Pulse, and the "Terminator Core" built-in hullmod that gives a lot of bonuses that generally make it make it live up to its name against fighters. With PD taken care of, the Tempest itself now has High Energy Focus.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 03, 2018, 06:43:25 PM »

Hopefully a damage boost to the large mounts, or range increase to small mounts so that they can compliment the heavy mounts.  Without three mount overlap and nothing else, Odyssey's firepower will be lacking.  If no OP boost, maybe OP discount hullmod like Conquest has too.

Odyssey with mobility system is probably good.  Despite 80 base speed alone, Odyssey is not fast (and small) enough for hit-and-run with short-ranged weapons.  All it can do with 80 speed is constantly backpedal and snipe at enemies with three Tachyon Lances (and four Tactical Lasers).

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 03, 2018, 07:09:53 PM »

I'm also secretly hoping for another High Tech destroyer, maybe another small Energy weapon that deals hard flux, and a [REDACTED] Capital ship of some sort...if we're posting wish lists. :)

(P.S. Did the Terminator Drone get changed, altered, or is that a new option? Looks like two drones with a PD Laser and IR Pulse.)

Yeah, it got changed. 2 in a wing, no shields, a bit more sturdy, PD + IR Pulse, and the "Terminator Core" built-in hullmod that gives a lot of bonuses that generally make it make it live up to its name against fighters. With PD taken care of, the Tempest itself now has High Energy Focus.

Very interesting on both replies! If I were a betting man, I'd wager which "one" it is, but I have a pretty good guess what #2 is, too...

Anti-fighter and HEF, eh? Again, the Tempest has been consistently one of the best generalist frigates out there for awhile and I don't see that changing anytime soon. SO Blaster with HEF...that's just evil.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: September 03, 2018, 07:29:03 PM »

Except, IIRC, you already confirmed one of those three, and mentioned you were thinking of doing another. ;)

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: September 03, 2018, 08:21:26 PM »

I'd like to add that I do not agree with the complaint about the game having too many systems. As long as they are interesting to play with, unique enough and complement the ship well I don't see a problem.

Unrelated but I'd love to see one day a gamemode or a mod in which a ship could equip and use multiple systems.

Embolism

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: September 04, 2018, 01:31:11 AM »

I think a concern people have is that too many similar ship systems might be introduced. A distinct system for each ship is good, but similar systems make matters confusing. For example, it would be bad to have fast missile racks, quick reloading missile racks and a missile rack enhancer.

Essentially this. Plasma Jets and Plasma Burn are both high tech engine-based mobility systems that apparently use plasma. And while Plasma Burn excels in its own way, in general it feels like a discount version of Plasma Jets. This is fine across tech levels (e.g. Active Flares vs Normal Flares, or even Plasma Jets vs Maneuvering Jets) but in the same tech level feels odd. It gives the feeling (as others have alluded to) that Odyssey wants to have Plasma Jets, but can't because Plasma Jets is too powerful; so it gets a nerfed version of it instead. Overall it feels gamey.

My preference would be to nerf th Odyssey's baseline mobility and give it Plasma Jets instead. Of course this is all thematic so take of it as you will.

RE: the dropping out of Warp feel. I don't really get that from the gif... to get that feel IMO Plasma Burn needs to have a much longer distance travelled. In fact that might be an idea to make it less of a discount Plasma Jets, maybe nerf it to 1 charge at a time only.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 01:34:46 AM by Embolism »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: September 04, 2018, 05:20:58 AM »

I would not want Odyssey to lose base speed unless it got strong enough to slug it out with any other capital in a slugging match.  Odyssey is the only capital warship that cannot do that.  (Even Conquest and maybe Legion can stomp Odyssey into the ground without much of a sweat, let alone a enemy battleship.)  Some might think its high speed (for its size) can let it act as hunter-killer and bully smaller ships, but that is not really possible with short-ranged weapons due to how the AI fights.  You chase down one, and several more surround and attack Odyssey, and 80-something speed is still slower than smaller ships' speed, meaning Odyssey cannot escape quickly enough if things go south fast.

Maybe Plasma Burn will let Odyssey catch and kill small things before its friends have the time to surround and attack Odyssey.

Plasma Jets could be nice, but it would probably make it too untouchable, which is bad if lance sniping remains viable or if Odyssey gets stronger and tougher.  Say... if Odyssey has a permanent +50% damage or so hullmod, then lance sniping will probably remain viable, and Odyssey dancing in-and-out easily while picking off ships one at a time would be cheesy, as in encouraged too much.

Currently, lance sniping while constantly kiting or backpedaling is the way to go with Odyssey.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: September 04, 2018, 09:00:40 AM »

I think a concern people have is that too many similar ship systems might be introduced. A distinct system for each ship is good, but similar systems make matters confusing. For example, it would be bad to have fast missile racks, quick reloading missile racks and a missile rack enhancer.

Essentially this. Plasma Jets and Plasma Burn are both high tech engine-based mobility systems that apparently use plasma. And while Plasma Burn excels in its own way, in general it feels like a discount version of Plasma Jets. This is fine across tech levels (e.g. Active Flares vs Normal Flares, or even Plasma Jets vs Maneuvering Jets) but in the same tech level feels odd. It gives the feeling (as others have alluded to) that Odyssey wants to have Plasma Jets, but can't because Plasma Jets is too powerful; so it gets a nerfed version of it instead. Overall it feels gamey.

My preference would be to nerf th Odyssey's baseline mobility and give it Plasma Jets instead. Of course this is all thematic so take of it as you will.

RE: the dropping out of Warp feel. I don't really get that from the gif... to get that feel IMO Plasma Burn needs to have a much longer distance travelled. In fact that might be an idea to make it less of a discount Plasma Jets, maybe nerf it to 1 charge at a time only.

too many narrow mechanical distinctions to fit into a player's head. They feel expected to memorize them all but because they have no external visual distinction (like guns do) it's impossible to judge other than rote memorization of ships they'll mostly not have used much if ever, which is a bad combo.
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: September 04, 2018, 09:19:30 AM »

Thank you for elaborating! I can see where you're coming from. To me, this is more about having some consistency/continuity - a "look, both high-tech engine boosting systems use plasma! it makes sense!" kind of thing. But, yeah, I can also see your point.

In fact that might be an idea to make it less of a discount Plasma Jets, maybe nerf it to 1 charge at a time only.

Hmm, plasma jets don't have charges, so that'd make it more similar.

Bribe Guntails

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: September 04, 2018, 02:25:23 PM »

My take on the Plasma Burn ability is that it lacks enough visual distinction and function.
Considering that the ship will rapidly and improbably accelerate and decelerate (unlike Burn Drive), it will look very videogamey when only the main engines are part of the visual design.
Some Drive Field effects or other space-bending visuals would complete the ability. A recolored Damper Field effect could do the job.

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: September 04, 2018, 06:34:18 PM »

I disagree. The uniquely colored trails, the very evident speed boost and the fact that is restricted to high tech ships is enough to differentiate it. At most I'd wager that a more unique thrust sound could be helpful.

Spess Mahren

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: September 04, 2018, 07:39:23 PM »

So with the upcoming randomly generated pirate bases will the static pirate holdings be removed? I'm hoping the pather's also get randomly generated bases because I rarely see them since I believe they only have two static holdings at the moment.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: September 05, 2018, 05:12:12 AM »

Speaking of Luddic Path, their two planets look ripe for sat bombing and wipe that faction off the map.  They are the weakest link.

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: September 05, 2018, 01:07:48 PM »

Speaking on thematic matters. Yes the odessy has obsurdly small engines compared to other ships. Maybe change the engine effect compeltly and give the discription of spechially advanced engines or something.

Embolism

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: September 06, 2018, 01:34:29 AM »

While we're on the subject of polishing...

Prometheus still uses a drone system instead of drone wings like every other ship that previously used drones.

Also given Expanded Magazines has nothing to do with Ballistics anymore maybe it should have a different icon and be called Expanded Capacitors or something instead. Or maybe it should stop existing since it just doesn't affect that many weapons and feels more like an OP tax than anything.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 87