Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 87

Author Topic: Starsector 0.9a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 468372 times)

Originem

• Purple Principle
  • Captain
  • Dancing like a boss.
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.9a (In-Dev) Patch Notes
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2018, 11:22:49 PM »

Wow, impressive...Seems a big work for my translate group though.
Still want a beam spawner and a custom missile contrail spawner.
My mods

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2018, 05:05:00 AM »

I'm not seeing any changes on the skill tree besides the addition of colony skills.
Was the combat/technology tree changed at all? What about the level cap and how points are earned/spent?

No significant changes at this point, yeah. I'd like to do it - and have some fairly specific ways I'd like to go about it - but I'm not sure I'll be able to squeeze it into 0.9a.

How about for the exploration/salvaging part of things? Were things tuned or are those skills still required to properly explore?
I don't mind this too much to be honest but the level cap makes things too restrictive without modding that out.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2018, 08:39:35 AM »

Nice to see some progress.
I never really noticed it when I was playing, mostly because there wasn't a point in noticing it, but how probable is it to have multiple viable colonies on one star system? It'd be nice to have that, it makes a given star system have more personality simply because it's not just a star system with X colony. Related to that, do military buildings have any range? Do they protect just the colony they're located at, whole system or even some hyperspace around it? Or at least nearby colonies.
It's quite foolish to suppose Centurion's buff would go unnoticed, despite it being low in the hierarchy it's still a recognisable frigate and some people still like it and still wait for it to stop being so bad. It's kinda funny how ship designs go back and forth between epochs (or however they were called, I forgot by now), with Centurion being kind of baby Enforcer, with the latter's style not being developed until Legion and Onslaught, though the Onslaught's is mixed with Dominator's, which is more like an upgunned Hammerhead, which itself is a bigger Brawler... At least in weapon layout. Well, I also see that Colossus mk 3 received a small buff too. You haven't mentioned it anywhere, but more Suspiciously Redacted Content is coming too?
I wonder if waystations need to be defended or if they're left alone for mutual benefit. And I wonder my suggestion for pirate frankenstations is going anywhere.

Jonlissla

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2018, 08:44:44 AM »

The hype is real.

Shoat

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2018, 10:50:01 AM »

One step closer to the original "mount&blade in space" that this game was introduced to me as (by the late TB), really nice!

That being said, I honestly think "AI ship loadouts are dynamically generated, based on what's available" is probably the best feature among this (it makes the AI play just like I have to - scrambling to find enough weapons to equip my fleet and using lots of wonky interesting setups), which says a lot considering how awesome it is that factions finally get fleshed out with more in-depth game mechanics and that we get to make our own factions on top of that.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 10:53:18 AM by Shoat »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2018, 10:54:47 AM »

Wow, impressive...Seems a big work for my translate group though.
Still want a beam spawner and a custom missile contrail spawner.

Yeah, translation is a huge effort in any case, and moreso for this release, I'd imagine.

How about for the exploration/salvaging part of things? Were things tuned or are those skills still required to properly explore?
I don't mind this too much to be honest but the level cap makes things too restrictive without modding that out.

There's a few things there I still want to look at. In particular, how much salvage you get when without the skill. As far as surveying, it might be in an ok place, now that it has a permanent benefit in making more worlds available. But, given that I'd like to have a more thorough look at skills anyway, I don't want to spend too much time fine-tuning them at this point.

Related to that, do military buildings have any range? Do they protect just the colony they're located at, whole system or even some hyperspace around it? Or at least nearby colonies.

Depends on where the patrols go; currently it's anything friendly in-system, with varying probabilities, and a chance of an occasional in-hyper patrol near the system.

You haven't mentioned it anywhere, but more Suspiciously Redacted Content is coming too?

Wouldn't be redacted if I kept talking about it, would it? :)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2018, 10:56:00 AM »

That being said, I honestly think "AI ship loadouts are dynamically generated, based on what's available" is probably the best feature among this (it makes the AI play just like I have to - scrambling to find enough weapons to equip my fleet and using lots of wonky interesting setups), which says a lot considering how awesome it is that factions finally get fleshed out with more in-depth game mechanics and that we get to make our own factions on top of that.

Yeah, I'm really hopeful that the set of changes here will give the factions more distinct personalities. E.G. a Luddic Church Dominator and a Hegemony one would be two quite different beasts.

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2018, 11:58:27 AM »

I think this was stated before, but do weapons and ships have faction tags now? So for example, a modded faction would prefer only to refit their ships with their own faction tagged weapons and so on.
Moreover, was the Codex changed at all changed on the UI overalls? That would be a good place to utilize faction tags.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2018, 12:06:56 PM »

I think this was stated before, but do weapons and ships have faction tags now? So for example, a modded faction would prefer only to refit their ships with their own faction tagged weapons and so on.

Not tags specifically but there's a column for this and the way the autofitting system is set up handles this. So, yeah, a faction with faction-specific weapons could be easily set up to only use those. That was one of the explicit design goals of the system.

Moreover, was the Codex changed at all changed on the UI overalls? That would be a good place to utilize faction tags.

While I'd like to get to it eventually, it's very much a nice-to-have, so: not at this point.

Kyuss11

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2018, 12:07:04 PM »

Will there be use for the Marines?
Will the colonies have needs and requirements to function and keep happy?
Marines could be used for uprising or disorder from smuggled drugs and or guns on the streets.

Shoat

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2018, 12:23:01 PM »

Considering that they'll assemble their loadouts from what they have available ("AI ship loadouts are dynamically generated, based on what's available"), and that the equipment they have available is different for each faction ("Factions have been adjusted so that their available blueprints and doctrine make each more distinct"), there should be no need for specific faction tags on equipment - in fact I think this has a lot more potential for feeling more immersive and more natural (pirates upgrading from scrapped parts to better ones if they acquire industry, or a tri-tach settlement that is doing poorly financially suddenly having to use lower-tech stuff because it's cheaper) than a fixed list of tagged equipment for each faction.

If this works the way it sounds like it works*, then all faction fleets will use almost exclusively "their" equipment at the start of a campaign (because that's the blueprints they have from the start) and will, depending on how the campaign evolves, occasionally use other equipment a bit more as time goes on.
*this is assuming that "what's available" for a faction to make loadouts from will either grow over time as they acquire blueprints somehow, or will occasionally include salvaged enemy equipment and/or equipment that someone sold to their open market.

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2018, 03:39:48 PM »

Looks great and there are a ton of features “under the hood” that are going to make the play experience totally different than current.

Looks like the mid-game (colony/faction management) is setting up nicely for some great end-game content. In the current in-dev state, how much more time does it take you to reach a point where you say “I’ve reached the end of the content and need to start a new character” relative to 0.8? Do colonies add a lot of carrot-on-a-stick to continue the same play through?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2018, 10:00:13 PM »

Will there be use for the Marines?

Probably. They'd be involved in some of the features that I'm not 100% sure will make it into 0.9 but it seems... let's say, fairly likely.

Will the colonies have needs and requirements to function and keep happy?

Yep! Basically, you need to fill various demand to keep up stability and keep your industries producing. This could take the form of building another colony to produce stuff that fills demand (i.e. a farming world or whatever) or bringing stockpiles of these commodities yourself, that that's more of a stopgap.

Will we be able to add in custom, upgradable industries? (Maybe a silly question; I'm sure we can.) I have a few things in mind for that...

Absolutely. Industries can also be learned via blueprint, though in vanilla the vast majority of them are known by default. In addition, you can install various items into an industry; AI cores are "standard" and can be installed into any industry, but some industries (such as Heavy Industry) can have other items that boost their effectiveness. What those are is entirely moddable as well.

Looks like the mid-game (colony/faction management) is setting up nicely for some great end-game content. In the current in-dev state, how much more time does it take you to reach a point where you say “I’ve reached the end of the content and need to start a new character” relative to 0.8? Do colonies add a lot of carrot-on-a-stick to continue the same play through?

You know, I honestly can't answer that at this point. While things are coming together, it's not yet at a point where this level of playtesting is possible.

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2018, 02:31:24 AM »

Renamed "Guardian PD System" to "Paladin PD System" (reasons REDACTED)

My best guess is that this will be excessively used by Luddic Church fleets or only available from Luddic markets.
There might also be some spec change on it so it can be worth it's cost as a "large" pd, since it's now quite crappy.

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2018, 05:13:47 AM »

My best guess is that this will be excessively used by Luddic Church fleets or only available from Luddic markets.
There might also be some spec change on it so it can be worth it's cost as a "large" pd, since it's now quite crappy.
I'm pretty sure there will be other thing called Guardian now, which caused the PD system name change. Remember Alex's tweets?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 87