Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 87

Author Topic: Starsector 0.9a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 468426 times)

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.9a (In-Dev) Patch Notes
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2018, 06:04:35 PM »

Can I put an officer into storage to bypass the limit or is the only way to do so is to fire them?
With the storage fee, what about abandoned markets and owned markets? Do I have to pay the fee then?
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2018, 06:07:20 PM »

Oh, nice!  My initial assumption was an X-at-a-time limit, and that's actually kinda exploitable.  (Though, at the same time, would be nice to not need to fire-and-retrain officers if I swap an officered ship between carrier and non-carrier hulls...)  This, by contrast... well, if there's any way to really exploit it, I'm not seeing it.

(Yeah, how to make it not exploitable while also not making it cumbersome was unclear.)

Can I put an officer into storage to bypass the limit or is the only way to do so is to fire them?
With the storage fee, what about abandoned markets and owned markets? Do I have to pay the fee then?

No storage for officers, no. Not necessarily opposed to the idea but it'd require an entirely custom UI.

As far as the fee: nope, no fee for abandoned or owned markets.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2018, 06:23:39 PM »

Lava planets will no longer show up as part of the combat background (too bright)

By this do you mean volcanic planets?

Is this really necessary? They're not brighter than stars, are they? Stars do show up in combat backgrounds, don't they?
mmm.... tartiflette

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2018, 06:26:04 PM »

Re: Officers
Having more officers than you can use in reserve would have been handy when I wanted to try a dedicated Vigilance Pilum spam fleet piloted by several Timid officers.  Never did that because I did not want to permanently fire my other officers.

Nice news on Centurion.  Hopefully, it will no longer be a poor-man's Monitor knockoff.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2018, 06:38:30 PM »

Yeah, that's exactly how it works. If you have say 7 officers and your limit is 5, you can use the first 5. You can however dismiss ones you're not interested in until the ones you want to use are all under the limit.

It gets surprisingly annoying (especially on the UI side) and bug-prone to try to limit you to "X at a time". Didn't seem worth the time and trouble given that it's a fairly fringe use-case with already a clear way to do what you need to in both cases (i.e. dismiss officers/admins).
Hm, are there any plans whatsoever where Officers and / or Administrators can die?  For example, if an Officer's ship gets destroyed or a riot breaks out at a Colony.  If there are such plans, it would be much more important to have at least a small number of experienced Officers / Administrators to cover such losses.  Or even just being able to store them somewhere at a known location (like dropping them off at said dockside bar in your Colony to pick them up later if needed) would be of immense use.  You could go more in-depth, let letting officers request to be dropped off somewhere so they can start their own side adventure and letting the player go on a mini-adventure to find them later on, leveled up compared to before would be interesting, but being able to have more than the strict limit in any form is almost necessary, I think.

If there are no plans - well, the system works I suppose.

Oh, nice!  My initial assumption was an X-at-a-time limit, and that's actually kinda exploitable.  (Though, at the same time, would be nice to not need to fire-and-retrain officers if I swap an officered ship between carrier and non-carrier hulls...)  This, by contrast... well, if there's any way to really exploit it, I'm not seeing it.
HOI4 handles that by giving commanding officers "Reassignment Duration", a mechanic where reassigning an officer to a different army is not instant and takes time.  Buffs from both officers (the officer getting removed from the position and the officer taking his place) do not apply until the replacement officer reaches their post.  Some traits can modify this - for example, Erwin Rommel has the "War Hero" and "Media Personality" traits, which modify the Reassignment Duration by 50% and 100% respectively (meaning a Reassignment which takes 10 days would take 25 days instead).  I think that crushes just about every form of exploitation.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 06:42:29 PM by The Soldier »
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2018, 06:58:52 PM »

Re: Officers
Having more officers than you can use in reserve would have been handy when I wanted to try a dedicated Vigilance Pilum spam fleet piloted by several Timid officers.  Never did that because I did not want to permanently fire my other officers.

Nice news on Centurion.  Hopefully, it will no longer be a poor-man's Monitor knockoff.

You could always try no officers and then using the avoid command on as many ships as possible

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2018, 07:16:41 PM »

You could always try no officers and then using the avoid command on as many ships as possible
Burns too much CP (and too much micromanagement), and I probably want skill power (for more speed and better missiles) on those ships, especially during the 0.7.x era.

Back during 0.7.x, I used Avoid primarily to mark ships and see them beyond fog-of-war.  I did not have enough points for every enemy, and they were on priority targets.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2018, 08:10:10 PM »

Is this really necessary? They're not brighter than stars, are they? Stars do show up in combat backgrounds, don't they?

Stars don't show up in combat in the campaign, no, for the same reasons. IIRC there's a mission where there's a star in the background, but it's read (and therefore dimmer) and small.

Hm, are there any plans whatsoever where Officers and / or Administrators can die?

Wasn't really planning on doing that, no. It's one of those things that's always possible if it becomes a solution to a mechanical problem, but as you talk about, given the current state of affairs, it would cause problems instead.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2018, 08:29:27 PM »

All this looks amazing. I am incredibly hyped for colonies!

I note a couple of things that have to do with saving - the new version of xstream and the sectorEntityToken replacement - does this mean that the dreaded save bug is no more? That would be great news!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2018, 08:40:37 PM »

I note a couple of things that have to do with saving - the new version of xstream and the sectorEntityToken replacement - does this mean that the dreaded save bug is no more? That would be great news!

Hopefully - it's not something that I'd been able to reproduce, so I can't say for sure, but the change is meant to try to address this.

On a related note, I'm not seeing this in the patch notes, though I swear I thought I'd put it in - but a crash during the save process, for any reason, should no longer result in a corrupted savefile. It might technically be possible if it's at the worst possible moment? But that should be exceedingly unlikely and of course you'd still have the auto-backups.

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2018, 08:57:01 PM »

I'm not seeing any changes on the skill tree besides the addition of colony skills.
Was the combat/technology tree changed at all? What about the level cap and how points are earned/spent?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2018, 09:02:39 PM »

I'm not seeing any changes on the skill tree besides the addition of colony skills.
Was the combat/technology tree changed at all? What about the level cap and how points are earned/spent?

No significant changes at this point, yeah. I'd like to do it - and have some fairly specific ways I'd like to go about it - but I'm not sure I'll be able to squeeze it into 0.9a.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2018, 09:10:27 PM »

Hopefully - it's not something that I'd been able to reproduce, so I can't say for sure, but the change is meant to try to address this.

On a related note, I'm not seeing this in the patch notes, though I swear I thought I'd put it in - but a crash during the save process, for any reason, should no longer result in a corrupted savefile. It might technically be possible if it's at the worst possible moment? But that should be exceedingly unlikely and of course you'd still have the auto-backups.

Here's hoping! Interesting that you can't reproduce, for me it always happens while backing up the previous save file rather than saving a new one (and people get around the bug by using 'save copy' rather than save). Curious, because I'd think that would just be a call to the filesystem for a name change?

Also, I reread and the bit about variants being auto-generated at battle start popped out. Does this mean that the variety of enemy ship compositions is about to go way up, or will it usually generate the same thing for the same faction?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2018, 09:27:56 PM »

Here's hoping! Interesting that you can't reproduce, for me it always happens while backing up the previous save file rather than saving a new one (and people get around the bug by using 'save copy' rather than save). Curious, because I'd think that would just be a call to the filesystem for a name change?

Hmm, maybe we're talking about different things then. I'm not sure I'm familiar with the one you're talking about.

Also, I reread and the bit about variants being auto-generated at battle start popped out. Does this mean that the variety of enemy ship compositions is about to go way up, or will it usually generate the same thing for the same faction?

It should go up; the autofitter will generate different loadouts given the same ship quality and blueprint availability. E.G. the Hegemony has access to the Gauss Cannon, but that doesn't nearly mean that every large ballistic slot is going to get that. It ought to be enough that it's a signature weapon, but still probably considerably less than half in terms of slots.

Eji1700

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2018, 10:09:44 PM »

How will factions interact with colonies? I see we can build defensive fleets, but will hostile factions actually attack/invade the colony itself, and does this mean that such mechanics are coming to vanilla?

This kind of thing has to happen for defensive fleets to make sense, right? I'm not quite sure how much of it will make it into 0.9a; certainly enough for there to be a point to building a military base, orbital stations, and other defenses. But beyond that, into something like full-fledged invasion-type mechanics? Will have to see how the timing pans out.

Oh of course but i know dev time is a real thing.  The blog posts had mostly been about econ and stations so I wasn't sure how much, if any, of the faction murdering aspect was going to make it into the game.  I'm glad to hear we'll see at least the start of it and maybe more.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 87