Fractal Softworks Forum
February 21, 2019, 02:48:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Starsector 0.9a is out! (11/16/18); In-dev patch notes for 0.9.1a (01/31/19)

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]
  Print  
Author Topic: Starsector 0.9.1a (In-Dev) Patch Notes  (Read 11272 times)
Alex
Administrator
Admiral

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: February 20, 2019, 08:09:47 PM »

This thread is getting suuuuper off-topic, let's try to keep it to patch notes related stuff.

This is what really gets me.  Min-maxers seem to be dominating every aspect of balance and design in this game, which really shouldn't be happening.  Some things are meant to be better than other things, I mean there's a Buffalo Mk.II for that reason.

(Just had to chime in: as with all things, there is a balance. It's useful to think of min-maxing when you're doing design because that's what the game will naturally drive players to do. That doesn't mean all players will play that way, it just means they'll be incentivized to, and so overall will generally be more likely to. If we want a wider variety of playstyles to occur naturally, ideally they'd all be viable with a mini-maxed approach.

On the flipside, it is a single-player game, so we don't have to be as stringent about it as we would for a multi-player game. There, "viable" means "can compete vs the best". Here, "viable" can just mean "gets the job done and is fun to play". So, there's more leeway to do fun things.)
TaLaR
Admiral

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 20, 2019, 08:22:43 PM »

This is what really gets me.  Min-maxers seem to be dominating every aspect of balance and design in this game, which really shouldn't be happening.  Some things are meant to be better than other things, I mean there's a Buffalo Mk.II for that reason.
The Buffalo Mk.II is unironically a really good missile-boat. With EMR it can carry up to 42 harpoons, 24 in the medium slot and 3x6 in the smalls, for 4 DP. It's the most cost-effective MRM platform in the game as long as you can keep it out of the front line.
Not putting Converted Hangar Talons on it feels like loadout design crime. And Med Sabot + 3x Swarmers is much more deadly loadout than Harpoon spam (at least when controlled properly, which AI usually fails at).
sqrt(-1)
Ensign

View Profile Email
« Reply #152 on: February 20, 2019, 10:57:00 PM »

Its good to see that the colonies have been nerved a bit. I am surprised however that the rare item drop rate has not been lowered for low player levels.

I have made several runs to level 15 without colonies for testing purposes because I initially thought it was a mod issue.
After leveling to level 5 by attacking some core system pirates and purchasing some combat freighters, I have ended up consistently at level 10-15 with >250k credits and tons of AI cores plus blueprints after my first expedition to one or two constellations where a bounty was posted.

Consistently, it takes less than 60 minutes to be able to build a nearly endgame winning fleet!
Like many others mentioned before, I find the early game struggle, with a small fleet the most enjoyable part of the game by far.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 11:26:57 PM by sqrt(-1) » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]
  Print  

Jump to: