Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Some small stuff  (Read 5629 times)

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Some small stuff
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2018, 08:42:54 PM »

I like the idea of an early Apogee as a exploration flagship. Instead of debating the combat capabilities of the Apogee (which is fair, but not for this thread), why not make an Exploration variant that side-steps the issue? Introducing the "Apogee (E)".

The (E) variant adds the "Exploration Package" hullmod to the ship. General idea is that is a huge overhaul to increase efficiency and range. Fuel and cargo capacity increased for longer voyages. Engines are overcharged at the expense of weapon/shield systems. Reduces overall logistic cost down to Falcon-like levels. Combat-wise, it's not much better than a Destroyer, though it still has superior shields and dissipation compared to most destroyers.

- Reduces Large Energy and Large Missile mounts to Medium (respectively)
- Reduces Maintenance per Month (& Recovery cost) to 15
- Increases Burn to 9
- Reduces Fuel per Lightyear (and jump cost) to 2
- Hull Integrity reduced to 7000
- Armor reduced to 600
- Flux Capacity reduced to 9,000
- Flux dissipation reduced to 600
- Skeleton Crew reduced to 75, Maximum Crew reduced to 150
- Ordnance Points Reduced to 130
- Fuel Capacity increased to 200
- Cargo Capacity increased to 350

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2018, 06:03:40 AM »

I would rather just give the current version more fuel and capacity and efficiency than making it into a 15 cost destroyer too.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2018, 06:07:50 AM »

About the only thing bad about the (E) is the OP reduction and maybe dissipation.  Large energy reduced to medium is annoying, but with Heavy Blaster available, the main thing lost is the shot range.  As for missile slot, that is a classic case where if I do not have enough OP, it gets left empty.  If I do not have Locusts to spare, I do not even waste the OP on large missile for Apogee.  Actually, medium missile means I can mount small salamander or 1 OP harpoon or sabot.  I cannot do that with a large mount.

Want to really weaken Apogee, weaken the shield.  Odyssey took a big hit (to the point it cannot tank anymore) with the shield downgrade.  Apogee would too.

For exploration, you want more crew to survey (and then colonize) planets, not less.  Probably just reduce skeleton crew, but not max.

The Apogee as it is is already close to being an explorer ship due to how mediocre it is in combat now (to the point that I do not think about using it) and the builtin mods (even if relatively insignificant).  It can have more capacity all-around, and it can be useful for its intended purpose (of exploration).
Pages: 1 2 [3]