Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Salvage Rating  (Read 4132 times)

RinandTonic

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Salvage Rating
« on: May 16, 2018, 10:27:51 AM »

I think I might be confused on how the Salvage system works. I've been trying to salvage Domain-Era Probes, which have a rating of 25%. I have enough crew and machine parts, so I figured I just needed a Salvage Rig.

I bought one, but it said my rating is still 0%, I bought 2 but it said my rating is still 0%, I have enough crew to staff my whole fleet, and I wasn't suffering from CR damage or anything, so why can I still only salvage derelicts?

Thank you!

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
Re: Salvage Rating
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 10:35:07 AM »

Hmm, that's odd.  Is there a known bug with the Salvage Rig, that's not giving a bonus unless the player has the Industry skill?
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 10:40:41 AM »

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

It's a bit confusing and I might look at re-working how salvage rigs work at some point. That said:

Your salvage *rating* is based entirely on the level of the Industry "Salvaging" skill you have. Salvage Rigs provide a bonus to the salvage you get, up to the salvage difficulty rating of the derelict you're working on.

So, if you don't have the Salvage skill, your only real option is to break the probe down into a debris field and scavenge through that, and Salvage Rigs won't help there.

Sarissofoi

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 10:46:06 AM »

Yeah. Its kind of suck right now.

RinandTonic

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 10:50:02 AM »

Thanks for the welcome!

Oooohhhh, do you mean the "Salvaging" tag under the "Industry" skill tree? Oh man I had NO idea that's what that was for since I don't consider Probes or Abandoned mining stations "Derilect". The text on the skill just says "Able to Salvage Derilects", so I thought all it did was let to haul crappier and crappier [D] class ships.

That seems like a VERY necessary skill for anyone looking to go through the game in a non-standard way. I'd really recommend rephrasing that or at least making an edit to the wiki for "Salvaging" since it doesn't say a word about the skill atm.

Thanks for the help! Loving the game so far otherwise!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 12:02:46 PM »

Thanks for the suggestion! Added an "abandoned structure" bit to the description.

That seems like a VERY necessary skill for anyone looking to go through the game in a non-standard way.

The idea is you're supposed to get about half without the skill, making it fairly optional, but (and I need to fix this part up) you get closer to a third or a quarter, so the skill is currently more necessary than it's meant to be.

Thanks for the help! Loving the game so far otherwise!

Happy to hear it :)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 03:12:02 PM »

That is only true if we can use rigs regardless of skill or method of looting (proper or blasting).  If I want to salvage properly, I will bring rigs to maximize loot.  Unskilled cannot use rigs to boost what little loot he gets from blasting stations like skilled can with rigs.

Gexern

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 12:23:46 AM »

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

It's a bit confusing and I might look at re-working how salvage rigs work at some point. That said:

Your salvage *rating* is based entirely on the level of the Industry "Salvaging" skill you have. Salvage Rigs provide a bonus to the salvage you get, up to the salvage difficulty rating of the derelict you're working on.

So, if you don't have the Salvage skill, your only real option is to break the probe down into a debris field and scavenge through that, and Salvage Rigs won't help there.

I though it was clear and self evident the way it is now, the Industry increase your max cap and the rigs increase the salvage. And I kinda like the incentive structure, the first rigs are super efficient, but later rigs dont add that much extra - since the derelicts themself have a hard cap and going from 50->60 is a 20% increase but 10->20 is a 100% increase.

Hamerton9

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Camslurp
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2018, 01:42:03 AM »

Interesting...yeah I was a little confused about the salvage system before the explanation in the thread as well. Glad it's cleared.