Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14

Author Topic: New Ship Art  (Read 79808 times)

Amazigh

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: New Ship Art
« Reply #180 on: September 10, 2012, 07:59:36 AM »

Just felt that the fuel tank still didn't quite fit in correctly, did a quick edit in MSPaint to show how I think it could be made to mesh with the hull a bit better. [top right of tank, top centre of tank, bottom of tank]

Apart from that small issue I'd say it's a pretty good ship.

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 10, 2012, 08:05:58 AM »

It is practically the same. Only the original has the pipes running underneath the borders / walkways. I'd like to keep it that way, since those borders / walkways are elevated higher than the outlying parts of the fueltank. The fuel-deck is depressed into the ship. A few pipes do extend over them, but those are obviously portruding and bend to go over the bordering parts. I appreciate what you're trying to show me though.

Amazigh

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 10, 2012, 08:24:03 AM »

The lack of Hard Edges on the orange strip doesn't make it feel like it's higher than the tank, I get what you are saying, but making the edges more defined would make it clearer that the tank is meant to be lower.

Ghoti

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 10, 2012, 12:39:40 PM »

The lack of Hard Edges on the orange strip doesn't make it feel like it's higher than the tank, I get what you are saying, but making the edges more defined would make it clearer that the tank is meant to be lower.
Bingo. This is the problem.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 10, 2012, 01:42:29 PM »

Something like this (before / after)

Shadows and occlusion really help, but you need to firmly visualize the depth of the various stuff :)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 01:44:38 PM by xenoargh »
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 10, 2012, 03:49:47 PM »

I like it. Some parts have a bit too much contrast though (as in, compared to vanilla ships), but it definitely looks good.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 03:51:52 PM by Erick Doe »

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 10, 2012, 03:56:36 PM »

Contrast is tricky; it's generally better to go overkill than try and be subtle.  Our brains put together shapes and depths largely from contrast, not color, so when you're emphasizing form, it's usually better to use a little stronger light and dark on the borders and areas that are in occlusion or are going to give us a highlight. 

Also bear in mind that I just made a lot of arbitrary decisions about depth there; there were lots of ways to interpret the art as it was, I just made a few choices to illustrate the concepts :)

I usually do it in black / white with Overlay or Soft Light, then tune down until it quits being effective, then back up a bit.  For deep shadow, I select areas and then just airbrush with veeeeeery slooooooow settings for flow, 3-10%.
Xeno's Mod Pack

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 10, 2012, 04:14:36 PM »

If possible, you could make that a support ship that increase view and firing range of other ships. like a mobile sensor array objective. i like the dark on the edges as well, really makes it look like the tank is inside the ship

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 10, 2012, 05:30:49 PM »

And while this thread is still alive, i was going to ask a for a opinion

Would this look good in starfarer when im done with it? =/ might be to early to ask, already have a few similar looking ready.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 05:35:37 PM by ValkyriaL »

Ghoti

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 10, 2012, 05:57:38 PM »

what's that from? Give me some context to that image.

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 10, 2012, 06:21:09 PM »

Would this look good in starfarer when im done with it? =/ might be to early to ask, already have a few similar looking ready.
It's a spectacular piece of art, but it's lit in a way that's completely different than the Vanilla sprites. 

If you don't have the source art that was used to make the base image you're working with, you have a very, very long road to walk, if you want it to match up :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 10, 2012, 06:31:31 PM »

Well vanilla sprites are lit like the light source is in front of them or above, right? its by the side here. and all of the ship's in the faction looks like this, the faction still has more ships that needs doing. im still missing a super carrier, freighter and a few fighter wings and bombers for them. they need to match my first faction you know >.^ was considering remaking their ships as well with better art.

For example, this is a ship from the first faction, compare the two

Spoiler
[close]

This ship needs alot of work to look like the one above. planing on doing that ones i have all of these ones ready.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 06:39:30 PM by ValkyriaL »

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 10, 2012, 06:36:08 PM »

@Ghoti, does a name, that starts and ends with "E" remind you of anything? ^.^ figure that one out! hohohoh  :D

WKOB

• Admiral
  • Odobenidine Benefactor
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 10, 2012, 07:06:54 PM »

You really shouldn't use Eve resource, dude.

Ghoti

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 10, 2012, 07:14:17 PM »

honestly. I have never ever once heard of a mod getting flak for using someone elses image. Except for local squabbling of course.

The real issue is that because this is a game file, you're not able to render it orthographically with the correct lighting. So it won't work in starfarer.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14