Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Show local system conditions (e.g. bounty) directly  (Read 1125 times)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
Show local system conditions (e.g. bounty) directly
« on: May 13, 2018, 02:18:51 AM »

There are certain system events that are often of interest to the player when he is local, such as the start or end of system bounties (I often miss that), or food shortages on in-system planets. Or maybe even if there is an ongoing manhunt for you (the "don't turn your transponder back on" kind). I think it's suboptimal that you have to actively look for these information, instead of them being presented to you.

You know the little bar over the active ability icons, where asteroid field effects and such are displayed? I think it would be a nice place to also show these other "environmental effects", in a broader sense.

Another possibility would be course widget on the right. Or just affix the pop up messages on the left permanently, as long as you're in-system or near it.

As an added benefit this would show you how far away from a wormhole you can be before a bounty is not recognized anymore.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

00lewnor

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Show local system conditions (e.g. bounty) directly
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 02:37:06 AM »

I like the sound of this mostly so I know how far into hyperspace the bounty is in effect.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Show local system conditions (e.g. bounty) directly
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 10:40:53 AM »

Hmm. I get what you're saying; not crazy about using the terrain widget for it, though. Also not crazy about adding *another* widget to the campaign screen. This does seem like a nice potential QoL improvement, but also fairly minor.

Also, specifically as far as bounties: I'm not sure what it does in the current release, but there's a notification when one ends, in the new intel system.