Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Revisiting the Intel UI  (Read 22256 times)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Revisiting the Intel UI
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2018, 05:34:47 AM »

When raiding ships for cargo, all I care about are things my ships use - fuel, supplies, and weapons.  Usually, they have commodities I do not care about, but occasionally, they carry supplies and it is a jackpot.

Usually, I kill enemy trade fleets for no reason aside from being the next convenient target to kill, although the chance for the 5000 supply jackpot is nice too.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2018, 07:29:04 AM »

I really like the mockup! Icons about that size works for visibility imo.

One issue with showing the supplies and fuel is that it would expose how the AI doesn't use it. Perhaps instead of showing the exact number, it shows a number of icons that approximates it, like the old trade screen. That way we get an idea at a glance what is in the ships, but don't have an exact count. It also 'makes sense' considering that when the AI scans us, they don't always find things. We also can't tell exactly whats in other ships.

Bonus points: if the ships have shielded cargo holds, the cargo doesn't show up on this type of scan.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2018, 11:06:48 AM »

I like that mockup a lot, too!  Simple and uses something that already exists.  Nice :)
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2018, 12:34:07 PM »

The mockup does look nice! But, erm, that info is already in the tooltip's action text - aside from the count, which you can roughly guess at based on the fleet size, anyway.

Both the trade fleet departure intel and interacting with a trade fleet also tell you what cargo they're carrying, btw. So I think in terms of piracy, it's in good shape as far as UI support goes.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2018, 01:44:23 PM »

Yeah, but this arrangement allows us to read it almost instantly.  As it is, we'd have to pause to access that, most of the time.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2018, 08:52:46 AM »

A fleet that loads something doesn't actually have any of the stuff when you raid it, right? That was at least my experience.
Some way to know that beforehand would be nice. That information could be intergrated into the current UI, though (loading x (50%) from y).
Or you could change the mechanic so they get everything at the start of the loading pricess, not at the end.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2018, 10:17:39 AM »

Yeah, they get stuff when loading is finished. The info displayed in the interaction dialog now should clarify that, i.e. it'll say they're not carrying any cargo or something to that effect.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2018, 11:17:17 AM »

You could split loading and unloading into two parts, 0% and 50%, if you wanted to add granularity to it. I think that would be simpler than a new "loading X% complete" mechanism?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]