Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Windows 10 Sleep Mode  (Read 1466 times)

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
Windows 10 Sleep Mode
« on: May 01, 2018, 01:01:53 PM »

When Windows 10 enters Sleep Mode, and a battle is paused, the game crashes.  Not sure if that's been reported yet, but it's probably pretty easy to reproduce.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 10 Sleep Mode
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 01:05:05 PM »

Thanks for the report; probably not much I can do about this. Might be driver or PC-specific; would be curious to see if this is a general problem or not. In any case, this seems like a driver/OS issue.

... when you say "crashes", what exactly happens? Is there an error/exception; does the OS give some kind of error message? That could be helpful to see.

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 01:27:39 PM »

The application halted, with a grayed-out screen, with the "busy" mouse-over state.  Wouldn't respond to control inputs, etc.

Could be driver-related, dunno; I've never used Sleep Mode before now, lol.
Xeno's Mod Pack

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 04:50:28 PM »

Just tried this out on my windows 7 laptop and it works perfectly fine.
Xeno, are you near your max ram when you play SS? If so then that might explain why it is having issues coming out of sleep mode
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 07:02:32 PM »

Specifically when the game is paused in battle?
Does the duration of the sleep make a difference?

I'm thinking along the lines of it being a large time delta between sleep & wake, resulting in many updates before any drawing, giving the impression of a freeze.

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 10:21:53 AM »

I'll take a look and see if it's just battles.  Might be.

Nowhere near RAM limits; this is now a lower-than-midrange gamer box, but it has 16 gigs and I'm almost never close to actual max (and wasn't when this occured).

You might be onto something, TJJ, but... it was paused when Windows activated Sleep Mode.  Surely it was mainly just doing a whole lotta sleep() and not having to do a lot of new math each frame?  I know that pretty much all of the code I was running that was my stuff halts when we're paused; I might want to check OS status as well, though.

Probably what I'm going to do is turn Sleep off and just dim my screen instead.  I've never used Sleep Mode before and I really don't want things like this crashing while I'm doing other stuff; I was about to fight a crazy-huge test-battle to do more playtesting on Rebal and lost access to that scenario because my save was 20 minutes before I'd gotten into it, lol.
Xeno's Mod Pack