Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Make Player Location More Obvious (Intel, Sector Map, etc.)  (Read 1613 times)

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile

Simple QoL thing:  I often find it really hard to tell which System my fleet's in, when viewing the Intel / Sector map a lot of the time, because the graphic is a star. 

Please use a circle that's larger than the star or something else that makes it totally obvious which System my fleet is in.

Sorry that this comes late in your dev cycle, Alex, but this is probably a one-two liner fix to point to a different bitmap.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

c plus one

• Commander
  • 'Make Jumpgates Great Again!'
    • View Profile
Re: Make Player Location More Obvious (Intel, Sector Map, etc.)
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 04:42:46 PM »

It's difficult for me as well. Not impossible, but needlessly difficult due to the game GUI. Hard to get ahead on the strategic level when you can't easily & instantly see where you are currently located. It would be helpful if this design oversight was addressed. Please consider this - thx :)

Quote from: Lopunny Zen
you are playing them wrong then..

Don't tell me I'm playing anything wrong in a singleplayer sandbox game. Just don't.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 11:40:48 PM »

Have you tried turning Starscape View off?  :-\

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 09:04:51 AM »

Possibly relevant note: you can double-tap Q to instantly zoom the map all the way out and re-center it, making spotting the current location very easy since it'll be relatively much larger. You can then hold shift and zoom in to whatever location you like more quickly. (In case it's not obvious, when you're zooming in, it will center on where the mouse cursor is.)

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 10:15:32 AM »

I had no idea about the double-tap-q thing.  As a long-time player, this is just a minor inconvenience; pretty sure this is more of an issue for newbies :)
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack