Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Resolution Override Not Displaying Fullscreen Properly  (Read 2712 times)

Piemanlives

• Commander
  • I've Got This, I think...
    • View Profile
Resolution Override Not Displaying Fullscreen Properly
« on: April 29, 2018, 10:51:05 AM »

So a user in the discord today came in to ask about setting Starsector to a nonstandard resolution but was having difficulty getting it to display properly at fullscreen. The issue specifically was that although it correctly forced Starsector to the chosen resolution the game refused to launch in actual fullscreen despite launcher settings and edits made to the setting.json file.

I volunteered to assist and see if it was just something they'd done on their end, however this is evidently not the case. At first it was initially thought that the requested resolution (1280x720) was simply too small to actually work so the first test was to set it to something a bit absurd (1080x900) this also refused to display at fullscreen despite my efforts though the resolution itself displayed correctly in a window. Testing a standard and supported resolution (1600x900) yielded the same result.

This is more of a passing curiosity on my end but I had to ask if this was intentional, something that was native to java, or just a minor bug that had gone unnoticed because, really, how many of us actually use the resolution overrides anyways?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 12:54:43 PM by Piemanlives »
This is called me throwing my missile swarm at you, and by swarm I mean massacre, and by missiles... I actually just mean missiles, there's actually not much to it really.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Resolution Override Not Displaying Fullscreen Properly
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 11:30:17 AM »

Anything below 1280x768 is not supported, but if you use the resolutionOverride setting, the game doesn't check for that, so it wouldn't factor in.

And, yeah, interesting - looks like fullscreen doesn't work with resolutionOverride. Dug around a bit and fixed it; thanks for letting me know!

Did they want 1280x720, btw, and was that the reason for using the override? Because if so, the fix won't really help; it'll run in fullscreen, but 720 is not supported and the UI on some screens won't fit.

Piemanlives

• Commander
  • I've Got This, I think...
    • View Profile
Re: Resolution Override Not Displaying Fullscreen Properly
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 01:07:47 PM »

Anything below 1280x768 is not supported, but if you use the resolutionOverride setting, the game doesn't check for that, so it wouldn't factor in.

And, yeah, interesting - looks like fullscreen doesn't work with resolutionOverride. Dug around a bit and fixed it; thanks for letting me know!

Did they want 1280x720, btw, and was that the reason for using the override? Because if so, the fix won't really help; it'll run in fullscreen, but 720 is not supported and the UI on some screens won't fit.
They were having some issue with 1366x768 on their display, not entirely sure on the details myself. Just that their display was rather unhappy with it. They're using 1600x900 as workaround despite the black bars that appear on the screen though they're seemingly alright with it.
This is called me throwing my missile swarm at you, and by swarm I mean massacre, and by missiles... I actually just mean missiles, there's actually not much to it really.