Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Controls with shift Locked by map  (Read 2401 times)

somantasi

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Controls with shift Locked by map
« on: April 23, 2018, 08:25:47 PM »

(English is not my main language, sorry by any mistakes)

I like to play holding the shift, I feel comfortable playing this way.

But what bothers me is when I'm above a ship and simply control "change of direction", I know the control is the same, but I'm immersed in the scenario and not inside the ship (because the screen is focused from above).

I wanted to have the option to play with the shift on always, and the control was focused by the scenery and not by the ship, so it could even be like creating a means of playing with a controller!

I hope everyone can understand me! Thank you for your attention :D

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
Re: Controls with shift Locked by map
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 09:14:15 PM »

First of all, welcome!
Second: Are you talking about having the ship turn to the cursor without having to hold shift? If so then you can change that in the options menu in game. Look for the option to toggle turn to cursor or something similar
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 09:21:57 PM »

(English is not my main language, sorry by any mistakes)

I like to play holding the shift, I feel comfortable playing this way.

But what bothers me is when I'm above a ship and simply control "change of direction", I know the control is the same, but I'm immersed in the scenario and not inside the ship (because the screen is focused from above).

I wanted to have the option to play with the shift on always, and the control was focused by the scenery and not by the ship, so it could even be like creating a means of playing with a controller!

I hope everyone can understand me! Thank you for your attention :D

Welcome to the forum!

I get what you're saying, yeah. When your ship is pointing down, and you press the left arrow key (or, rather, 'A'), it goes right.  That can definitely take a bit of getting used to.

What I think you're asking for is controls where pressing W would always move the ship up on the screen, no matter which way it's facing, and likewise for the other direction keys. I don't think the game would really work well that way, though - you usually want finer control over your movement than just having 4 directions you can move in. For some games, I think that kind of control setup can work, but I don't think Starsector is one of them - it would make your ship perform like it was effectively slower than what its actual speed is.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 09:28:41 PM »

Maybe he meant camera rotating to player ship facing? Currently when attacking enemy from 'above' in map coordinates, your controls are reversed vs camera facing. Which takes some time to adjust, and I still think I pilot more precisely from bottom-up.

This was suggested multiple times.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 10:51:26 PM »

Rotating the camera would be a bit vomit-inducing for a lot of folks, I suspect; the tearing / flickering would be considerable.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

somantasi

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 11:18:51 AM »

What i mean is like, i'm battling a ship, i press shift and aim that ship, i rotate him to fire and avoid shoots, when i get north of that ship another ship appears above me, now when i'm going to aim the ship above me A goes left and D goes right, when i aim the ship below me, A goes right and D goes left, i wan't to control my ship in relation with the map (Like is fixed from the start of the battle), where does not matter where i am and where i'm looking at, A is Left, D is Right, W go where i'm facing my ship (Like controlling with shift) and S backwards.

I agree that moving the camera would be pretty nauseated, and i don't saying to change the W and S, only the A and D and this could be like another player Style (Like games that ask if you want to play with Classic or Advanced schemes etc) and this scheme that i'm trying to say it's going to be really easy to suport controllers Right analog controll where ship is pointing and Left analog controlls accelerator and movements (Left and Right) )
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 11:34:48 AM by somantasi »

somantasi

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 07:08:49 AM »

I was thinking about what i wanted, imaginating and i realize that It is how the game works, i'm really embarassed lol