Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Aurora not using full speed provided by Plasma Jets  (Read 2790 times)

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Aurora not using full speed provided by Plasma Jets
« on: April 22, 2018, 06:58:25 AM »

Ships involved:
  • Player-piloted Hammerhead: Heavy Needler, Heavy Mauler, 2 Railguns, ITU, Hard Shields, Flux Distributor, 20 vents, 6 caps
  • AI SO Aurora: 2 Heavy Blasters, 1 Pulse Laser (hardpoint), 7 IR pulse (all front-facing slots), Safety Overrides, Hard Shields, 30 vents, rest caps

If I get Aurora to high flux where it needs to retreat-vent it will often activate Plasma Jets, yet move at very low speed (nowhere near 275 that it can reach during system activation).
So instead of quick get away - vent - return, it just wastes system charge while getting pummeled.

It's observable in other match-ups, but seems particularly easy to reproduce with this one, not sure why.

Looks like I already created a similar bug report. Though Aurora doesn't quite set speed to 0 here.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 07:57:07 AM by TaLaR »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora not using full speed provided by Plasma Jets
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 09:52:08 AM »

Thanks for letting me know! I've got an item to look at the AI's use of Plasma Jets for retreating; will take a look at it whenever I get to that.

What's most likely happening here is the plasma jets AI thinks it may be a good time to pull away, but the rest of the AI disagrees with that and wants to stay and fight; not technically a bug or necessarily a large issue, as there's no flux cost to using the jets.

... or is it actually trying to move away, but doing it too slowly?

(Assuming you mean "dissipate flux" instead of "vent", since we're talking an SO variant...)

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 10:29:44 AM »

(yeah, i meant 'dissipate')

AI kind of seems conflicted on what it wants to do. Sometimes it just hovers at fixed range (that doesn't make sense - close enough for me to attack it, but too far for it to reach me). At other times it retreats with Plasma Jets at about half potential speed as I previously mentioned.

Hmm... It might be more willing to stick around when/after I quick-vent (which I do at first opportunity, right as it starts to back off).

And while I was writing this, Aurora decided to just wait for death. Been like that for half a minute at least.
Spoiler

[close]
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 10:31:48 AM by TaLaR »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 10:08:17 AM »

Huh, that doesn't look right at all.

Took a look - turns out there was a bug that was stopping ships cruiser-sized and larger from backing off beyond a certain point. The method was just returning early. It was apparently most visible with the Aurora, because of its system making it so fast, where other ships would basically just keep drifting backwards at the same speed and it would mostly work out.

Fixed; should work much better in general now. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 10:18:00 AM »

Nice! :)

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 11:56:26 PM »

Good ridance, Tournament AI shutdown bug. You won't be missed. (well, hopefully that's the one)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 07:31:14 AM »

... you know, it might just be, since it'd also exit out before trying to strafe, too. Would definitely only affect cruisers and larger, though; not sure if the tournament bug has come up with anything smaller.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2018, 12:50:00 PM »

It didn't, however the issue was most visible when a ship would not return to the fight after trying to back up. It happened at least once in pretty much half the fights, so it was really a very common problem.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2018, 12:54:10 PM »

Hmm, that's a "maybe" then. What's weird is I haven't seen this happen in vanilla and I've played through a *ton* of battles. To make sure: a ship will drift off, have low flux, and then not rejoin the fight anyway?

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2018, 01:07:45 PM »

Well given the way the game works it would be hard to see when playing regularly: the ships would drift away, then wake up as soon as an enemy finally come in sensor range. So from the player point of view, it would never happen. Still, I need to inspect it further because maybe something in the tournament mission makes them more prone to breaking.