Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Ship Procurement  (Read 2967 times)

TheKart

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Ship Procurement
« on: April 07, 2018, 09:47:51 PM »

Currently in Starsector, a player selling ships does not get much at all for balance reasons. However, with the way the Sector currently is demand for any working combat ship should be higher. I feel a decent way to show this sort of conclusion in the game's mechanics without compromising the economy is Ship Procurement missions: essentially just like a procurement contract for trade goods, but instead a ship is being requested. The reward for completing the procurement should be scaled based on the quality of the ship (e.g. more dmods = less payout). I won't claim to know what the right amount to offer for each ship procured, but I'd say that offering a damaged ship should be more cost-effective than buying one in a market or restoring before turning it in.

Another idea in the same vein could also be Derelict Retrieval missions: They would be like scan derelict missions, but instead of scanning you get a 100% chance to recover the derelict, and then must bring it to whichever port requests the ship. Depending on the quality of the ships offered to be retrieved, there could also be an amount of risk/reward: a valuable enough ship being retrieved this way could be temping for a player to keep for themselves, and having the option to do so with a heavy penalty could be interesting.
To prevent players using this one in particular as a way to discover retrievable derelicts, it could either be set up that the derelict is only recoverable if the mission is accepted, or just not show the exact location of the ship and instead display the rough amount of fuel required for the trip there.

I feel like these should be attainable to implement, and would offer a greater variety for a player looking to earn credits in the sector.

Death_Silence_66

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Ship Procurement
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 04:02:41 AM »

The Derelict recovery would be a nice addition. It's a bit odd that nobody's thought to pick up all those pristine legions and onslaughts lying around out there. You could add in a rep hit if you keep the ship to prevent the player from using the missions as a free ship pointer.

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 05:45:45 AM »

Sometimes when things are just too broken, it is easier to build a new one instead of trying to repair from a chaotic wreckage.
I mean, just recovering a single D-mod cost more than buying a brand new one, see the point?

Retrieve derelicts? From what? Post-battle derelict? The winning side can just take whatever is left valuable including those derelicts, unless they're also damaged too badly to do so which is a rather rare case.

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 07:37:45 AM »

It does explain where the pirates keep getting their ships though. Maybe they might offer those missions? Or small independent worlds without ship making capabilities.