Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: UI too small  (Read 9297 times)

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
Re: UI too small
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2018, 01:03:31 PM »

Here's a mockup of what I'm saying.  Basically, reduce clutter, centralize information, reduce footprint, break elements into things that can be rendered and scaled more gracefully than the current UI flow.

The damage display could only render if it's necessary to convey information right now.

Speed / CR left / maybe the System timer bar in the lower-right can be scaled; these are a vital stats to convey clearly at all resolutions, because they change due to Flux load or other factors; it shouldn't be buried in other elements like it is now, imo.

The central-pillar type of text flow could be disabled if it's getting in the way (9 times out of 10, the text flow's not telling me anything I want to know, and for stuff like, "your allied ship just died" I want an audio signal like for CR, not a text I have to read). 

Moreover, it's combining two UI elements there; text flow events and Buff/Nerf.  Buff/Nerf shouldn't be constantly displayed, imo; show it for 10 seconds at the start or constantly show it on the Tactical UI where we have all of the time in the world, but fade it out in the Combat UI unless it changes in an important way.  I feel like most of what's displayed there isn't necessary once we know it's going on, and should be showed as briefly as possible to convey information but conserve screen.  I realize that's the biggest pain in the rear, in terms of changing things; the rest of this is more moving the bits around.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 01:14:34 PM by xenoargh »
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2018, 01:29:20 PM »

Other thoughts.

1.  More audio cues, less visuals.  System recharged?  Cue.  We're over 90% Flux?  Cue.  Did we just get the Flux speed bonus?  Cue (well, clearer cue, anyhow).  Companion dies?  Cue.

The cues for CR, while annoying (the sound effect is so not-futuristic) are very effective, and require no screen space at all.

2.  I eliminated "linked" from the Weapon Group UI because, well, it's not that vital and we should know that.

3.  A subtle audio cue for central-pillar messages that aren't vital might be nice.

4.  Not sure why we need Deployment points displayed any more, when we can see that in Tactical, with a tooltip to explain it. 

5.  Showing CP generation makes sense, though, again, that could be a central-pillar message with an audio cue.
Xeno's Mod Pack

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2018, 02:26:25 PM »

Sounds for cues.  

All base audio was released on Freesound.org under Creative Commons 0 (i.e., "do whatever").  Remastered / normalized / edited by me, license same.  Original artists are attributed in the OGGs, etc.

System Recharged:  Link
90% Flux (repeat looper):  Link
Flux Bonus:  Link
Captain Ship Death:  Link
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 02:32:49 PM by xenoargh »
Xeno's Mod Pack

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2018, 09:49:05 PM »

1.  More audio cues, less visuals.  System recharged?  Cue.  We're over 90% Flux?  Cue.  Did we just get the Flux speed bonus?  Cue (well, clearer cue, anyhow).  Companion dies?  Cue.

So much this. Also have a pet peeve in this category - why is Sabot going 2nd stage absolutely silent? Not having an audio cue for it is plain unfair, this alone significantly reduces my chances to react in timely manner (by phase skimmer/etc).
Pages: 1 [2]