Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: New player ability: Information Warfare  (Read 2279 times)

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
New player ability: Information Warfare
« on: April 09, 2018, 06:01:43 AM »

Currently we got EW which is pretty much tactical-wise ability
After viewing THIS POST it inspired me of another nice ability that such game must have: information warfare !

Previously we got comm relay as the only median to get all kind of hyperspace info and I'm feeling it insufficient.
As an ancient Chinese proverb states, “know the enemy, know yourself, and in every battle you will be victorious ”.
A good commander should be good at information gathering and at times cheat your opponent to believe in false information.

Here's a set of example skill ability
IW1: You can tell if there's hazard environment(i.e. Corona) or hostile fleet(Say, trade intercepting pirate) on the other side of the jump point.
Comm sniffer install speed +100%

IW2: You can get more detailed information about bounty fleet formation.
Make comm sniffer less likely detected.
Illegal commodity detected chance halved and immune to false accuse.

IW3: Make comm sniffer able to update market price of it's system(I don't remember if it has such function or not in current version)
Ability to false flag for a period of time. It takes certain time to cooldown for your trained engineer to crack rapidly changing IFF code.

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.

Chronosfear

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: New player ability: Information Warfare
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 07:13:49 AM »

+1, could be something interesting done about it.

the current use of a com sniffer is 0, but that may change with the update.
It would also solve my/the problem with Askonia on an other approach.

Maybe such skill could also increase the reach of your faction when a sniffer is installed ( to be in range for trading eg. ) [but only towards factions inside the system where the sniffer is installed].
Be the change that you wish to see in the world.

My words are backed with nuclear weapons
Gandhi (Civ)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 09:36:12 AM »

Comm sniffer is worse than useless, it is a ticking time bomb.  The worst thing it does is clog your intel with more cryptic or useless spam to filter through.  Then, there is (or was) the risk of detection and investigation.  I have not bothered with comm sniffers since brief experimentation when they first appeared.

As for the OP, I would rather save the skill points for something that lets me fight and crush the enemy more easily (instead of avoiding them) for profit.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 05:41:29 PM »

I agree with megas, there's probably potential there, but the way the current skill system works, I would never take these skills because that would mean losing out on other much more valuable skills. The skill system definitely doesn't need more fluff, its already a bit bloated with sub-par skills. If the skill system got split into different skill progressions with different types of experience (ie combat/exploration/trade experience unlocks combat/exploration/trade skills respectively) then this could definitely fit in somewhere.

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 08:36:55 PM »

Thanks for all the replies :D

As for the OP, I would rather save the skill points for something that lets me fight and crush the enemy more easily (instead of avoiding them) for profit.
How about false flag allowing you to backstab?
Say, contact a "friendly" fleet, say hi, and shoot from their back as the very first engage? (Of course, following without shooting won't reveal your identity)
That would DEFINITELY be interesting, say, snipe and run with some nasty phase ships.

I agree with megas, there's probably potential there, but the way the current skill system works, I would never take these skills because that would mean losing out on other much more valuable skills. The skill system definitely doesn't need more fluff, its already a bit bloated with sub-par skills. If the skill system got split into different skill progressions with different types of experience (ie combat/exploration/trade experience unlocks combat/exploration/trade skills respectively) then this could definitely fit in somewhere.
Define "valuable".
There can be a million playstyles and not every skill suits every style. The SP limitation clearly(I guess) doesn't want players to be "all OP and all the same" build in end-game.
You need and must make decisions based on your own playstyle and different skill build allow you to experience completely different game experience.
I'm not gonna say any skill is "sub-par", it just "doesn't suit your own style".

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I do admit skill point is too hard as a cap now and making combat tree almost a no-pick for most players.

I was actually concerned about IW being OP so I actually "nerfed" it intentinally when making OP.
Well, seems not. It's just a suggestion of a skill concept. The "real" IW is much more complex and has much larger influence.
The OP was just a set of example skill showing how this can fit in current system.

For instance, one of the abandoned case was "spying" (well it needs a new mission type to cooperate with).
When two faction are in high tension, there can be "cold war" and both side start giving spying mission, asking you to spy on enemy fleet or planet. (You'll be able to start "scanning" objective at certain distance)
Similar to expedition missions but much more dangerous since now enemy might actively hunt you down, especially you'll most likely enter their system for intel.
Accidental discharge can cause full-scale war, you might need to just surrender upon failing a spying mission.
Now IW skills become "must take" if you want to play super agency style.
Spying scan range +500/  false intel of your own planet or fleet for enemy spy/ hacking comm relay for secret intel(NO SNIFFER) etc

There's just too much to play with such concept.

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 12:33:34 AM »

I like this a bunch! Especially more detailed bounty information - there's a lot of time in the midgame where the player can defeat a Mora... but not 2 Mora's 2 Dominators and 15 frigates, as seems to be the common fleet .:P Or at least the presence of multiple capitals rather than just 1.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 06:04:19 AM »

Sounds like a QoL perk, with this one to make it easier to hide identity.  One idea is the perk removes the "seen you recently" caveat.  As soon as you turn off transponder (or few seconds later), they do not know who you are even if they saw your fleet recently.  And/or perhaps make it easier to shake off patrols when smuggling.

As for better bounty intel, that is a crutch benefit like current Surveying.  The solution would be to bring more ships and steamroll them, which is what player will do by endgame anyway if he wants to kill multiple bounties and/or farm Remnants on the side.