Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sindria - and Askonias corona  (Read 4253 times)

Chronosfear

• Commander
    • View Profile
Sindria - and Askonias corona
« on: April 06, 2018, 06:30:19 AM »

Hi,

can we put Planet Sindria and the Jump-point in a higher orbit around its former Star Askonia or lower the power of the corona in this particular system?
I often (and not always) getting a real push away when going through the Jump-point due to the Askonias corona and makes docking with Sindria sometimes a bit uncomfortable
When playing for/allied with SD its getting a bit of a burden.

Chronosfear

Be the change that you wish to see in the world.

My words are backed with nuclear weapons
Gandhi (Civ)

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
Re: Sindria - and Askonias corona
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 07:26:08 AM »

+1.  It's a little thing, but I agree that a smallish adjustment of those orbits might be in order; moving Sindria out a few hundred units would make interacting with the System much less annoying.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 02:11:16 PM »

This is something that happens pretty regularly in procedurally generated systems as well. It is very annoying to jump into a corona and lose a bunch of supplies.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 02:14:29 PM »

Isn't that the whole point of Askonia?  ??? And why things like Solar Shielding (and the player skill that reduces the effects of corona damage etc.) exist? I thought the whole concept of Sindria sitting under the "harsh fires of Askonia" was something key to the system's lore, as well as that of the Sindrian Diktat faction.

Also the jump point and planet actually aren't inside the corona, they're just outside it, so if you're being pushed away on entering the system it's due to solar flares, which wouldn't be avoided by being a hundred or so units further away. If you make a beeline from the jump point to Sindria or vice versa, then yes you do pass through the corona for a bit, but that's a simple fix: just skirt the edge of it manually.

If you're playing as/with the Diktat in a roleplay sense, then I can only recommend you look into the aforementioned skill and the Solar Shielding hullmod. They exist for just this sort of reason.

Chronosfear

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 02:54:08 PM »

Isn't that the whole point of Askonia?  ??? And why things like Solar Shielding (and the player skill that reduces the effects of corona damage etc.) exist? I thought the whole concept of Sindria sitting under the "harsh fires of Askonia" was something key to the system's lore, as well as that of the Sindrian Diktat faction.

Also the jump point and planet actually aren't inside the corona, they're just outside it, so if you're being pushed away on entering the system it's due to solar flares, which wouldn't be avoided by being a hundred or so units further away. If you make a beeline from the jump point to Sindria or vice versa, then yes you do pass through the corona for a bit, but that's a simple fix: just skirt the edge of it manually.

If you're playing as/with the Diktat in a roleplay sense, then I can only recommend you look into the aforementioned skill and the Solar Shielding hullmod. They exist for just this sort of reason.

Not always. I depends on where those corona spikes currently are: you enter the system through the jump point and immediately you're pushed a few 100 units or blocks access to docking for a moment ( again caused by a spike, pushing you away )

I have no problem with the drain on my CR and therefore additional supply costs. It's a mechanic you can use to your favor in some cases and adds some flavor as neutron stars do, too

Be the change that you wish to see in the world.

My words are backed with nuclear weapons
Gandhi (Civ)

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 03:30:41 PM »

I don't really care about the position of the planet since if you fly in 'behind' it, you avoid the solar flare. I just don't like jumping into a system inside a corona or solar flare. I know that I have jumped into coronas while exploring before (not neutron stars). It's just annoying to lose a bunch of supplies when you have no control. I do avoid coronas by flying around them whenever possible.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 06:04:33 AM »

Space is dangerous, stars even more so.

Inventor Raccoon

• Captain
  • Digging through trash for a hydroflux catalyst
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2018, 08:17:43 AM »

I think the jump-pointed could maybe be moved a little further out, but Sindria is fine.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2018, 10:56:06 AM »

Probably a bad idea, but jump points could close when there's a solar flare over them. Same for neutron star beams.

Vind

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2018, 06:28:02 PM »

I think this is a good training place for player to learn about avoiding sun corona. And it adds immersion.

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2018, 08:55:20 PM »

Probably a bad idea, but jump points could close when there's a solar flare over them. Same for neutron star beams.
Must +1 on this

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2018, 09:55:50 PM »

Or even just some visual indication from hyperspace. Some way for the player to know so they can avoid losing supplies. I don't mind taking a longer path to avoid it, but there's currently no way to know when you jump in if you will end up in some environmental hazard.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2018, 11:16:13 PM »

Or even just some visual indication from hyperspace. Some way for the player to know so they can avoid losing supplies. I don't mind taking a longer path to avoid it, but there's currently no way to know when you jump in if you will end up in some environmental hazard.

That's a better idea in my opinion. I dislike the concept of closing a jump point, because often times systems in the outworlds may only have a single jump point to get in and out, either excluding the player completely for a time or (in the worst case) trapping the player inside the system. Leaving the jump point always open, but having a visible warning from hyperspace definitely sounds more reasonable.

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2018, 05:27:06 AM »

That's a better idea in my opinion. I dislike the concept of closing a jump point, because often times systems in the outworlds may only have a single jump point to get in and out, either excluding the player completely for a time or (in the worst case) trapping the player inside the system. Leaving the jump point always open, but having a visible warning from hyperspace definitely sounds more reasonable.

Or just a dialog "If you jump in now you'll be showering in particle storm, proceed?" when such case happens. Say, sending a small scout drone and you get to know such info.
Or even make it some kind of skill bundled passive ability to know whether it's good to jump or not (oh, and maybe we can even include the pirate intercepting fleet indication when you accept a trade mission), I don't mind.

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2018, 03:39:34 PM »

Could always make the jump point turn orange or red. Or spew flame and fire into Hellspace, I mean Hyperspace
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too
Pages: [1] 2