Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Poor Hegemony.  (Read 7343 times)

Kevin Flemming

• Commander
  • So say we all.
    • View Profile
Poor Hegemony.
« on: April 01, 2018, 04:41:24 PM »

For quite some time now, Hegemony have been at war with practically everybody. 14 out of 19 factions. To the point where most of their planets are a bit knackered and barely selling anything. Smuggling is rife as well, which is a huge issue. Supplies aren't making it anywhere, and they look to be severely struggling.

Is it typical for one faction to be ragged-on for so long? I've seen a few Armistices appear between the others, but not these guys. They've been fighting the Scavs for three months solid now, at Jangala, in-between trying to counter Imperium's relentless onslaught, and getting a right shafting from all sides.

I'm actually planning to join them, but at the moment, I wouldn't be able to move an inch and just get my arse kicked.

How likely is there to be a "peace" period for them to recover slightly? I'm currently on Jun 208 (if that helps put things in perspective at all).

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Poor Hegemony.
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 05:01:29 PM »

Imperium? 18 factions?

Pirates
Tri-Tach
Persian League
Sindarian Diktat
Luddic Church
Luddic Path
Hegemony
[Redacted]

uhhhh 10? 10 more factions?

Kevin Flemming

• Commander
  • So say we all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 05:14:09 PM »

Mods.
Spoiler
Blackrock Drive Yards
Dassault-Mikoyan Engineering
Diable Avionics
Grytpype and Moriarty Defence Authority
Interstellar Imperium
Mayasuran Navy
Oculian Berserks
Outer Rim Alliance
Shadowyards Reconstruction Authority
The Nomads
Starlight Cabal (Underworld)
[close]
Plus the standard factions, comes to 19 in total.

Didn't think it fit into the "Bug" section for mods, as it isn't really a bug. So I plopped it in here instead. Figured it was a just a discussion thing.

Guess I should have started-off by making a point that I was using mods. It's late. :-[

Kevin Flemming

• Commander
  • So say we all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 11:10:15 AM »

Well, it's now mid-Cycle 210 and still at war with everybody. Stability is seriously-low for most places, and the choice of goods is laughable.

They really got the *** end of the stick against other factions. Some of them start off with negative relations and I don't know if that is permanent (I know it can be scripted, such as with the Berserks always at -75). I'm almost certain it is, as they haven't been able to have an Armistice with anybody so far. Do people not like them, when they create their mods or something? Seems as if most start off negative towards Hegemony.

Just looked and there are 12. 12 start off negative. That's a bit ridiculous, really.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 11:55:41 AM »

The Hegemony is the sectors punching bag because they are the strongest starting power in the sector, barely held back by the League/TT/Dictat.

So opposition to them can make for a good justification when making a mod as opposed to the weaker or more remote factions.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Kevin Flemming

• Commander
  • So say we all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2018, 03:04:18 PM »

The Hegemony is the sectors punching bag because they are the strongest starting power in the sector, barely held back by the League/TT/Dictat.

So opposition to them can make for a good justification when making a mod as opposed to the weaker or more remote factions.
Yeah, I guess it's a valid reason to have it that way. Hegemony are, as you say, the toughest (vanilla) faction. But it goes to show that they aren't that tough when 12 (and later 15) factions are beating them senseless non-stop, from all sides. Good ol' space rogering.

Breaks the game slightly, when multiple mods have the same setup (i.e. negative relations against one particular faction). Not in any way saying "Wah, change your mod" lol. It's just something I need to account for in the future when adding more into the mix. Especially when they don't seem to be having any peace periods. Might have to dabble with the occult a little, and do some relation changing at the start of a new game, just to try and balance things out. Making one or two friendly (or at minimum neutral) should help quite a bit.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2018, 03:07:22 PM »

Well if I had the time or patience to mod I'd certainly be up for making the Hege an ally/vassal or two!  ;D
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2018, 05:24:39 PM »

Most mod factions are hostile to Hegemony because it was the main major faction for most of the game's history, and politically makes a good enemy given the lore of most factions. The League is of comparable size, but is a much more recent addition (only added in 0.8 IIRC) and was perhaps previously thought to be more benevolent than the current implementation is. Then, there are a few factions which are hostile to everyone in the Sector anyway.

Are you using Nexerelin? Without it factions that start the game hostile stay hostile, but in Nex the Hegemony should eventually make peace with most of its enemies at least.

Techhead

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2018, 05:48:45 PM »

I remember having a short rant on this in Discord a month ago. My lines, others' removed:
Techhead: Not enough modded factions get along with the Hedgies.
Techhead: Where's the "Although self-governing in practice, [faction_name] overtly supports the Hegemony as the successors of Domain rule" faction?
Techhead: Lorewise, I'd estimate 40% of mod factions are like "I wanna take over most-to-all of the Sector" and 40% are "I wanna be left mostly alone"
Techhead: Where's my intrigue and realpolitik?
  (Someone mentions the League)
Techhead: League, in lore, isn't much of a unified anything besides the idea of mutual defense.
Techhead: Too many Hedgie-haters on the scene I think also weakens the concept of the Hegemony as well... a regional hegemon.

Kevin Flemming

• Commander
  • So say we all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2018, 02:00:23 AM »

Well if I had the time or patience to mod I'd certainly be up for making the Hege an ally/vassal or two!  ;D
I would love to as well. But sadly, I have a distinct lack of patience when it comes to creating mods. I have tried in the past, with other games and always lose interest before I get to meat of it. I can knock-out a quick custom banner or change stats of NPCs (Warband, for instance). Other than that, I struggle. A short attention span doesn't help whatsoever. :-\

Mind you, I can type out a plethora of ideas in a wall of text, no problem (as I did recently, in helping an indie game, who took plenty of notes on almost everything I wrote!). Swings and roundabouts.

Most mod factions...
...the Sector anyway.
Aye, I know why people do it. I'm somewhat familiar with the lore. I completely understand the motives in doing so. Just as mentioned, when you have practically every mod doing the same thing, fighting against Hegemony, it does break the game. You could say "Oh, you shouldn't be using so many factions mods" but people are going to use multiple factions mods. The more, the merrier, right? I would have hundreds, if I could. And a larger map, to accommodate, of course.

As I said, though, it's an aspect that players will have to address, and solve, themselves. Example: I made Diable Avionics friendly (+50) to Hegemony, seeing as they both have ties to the old domain. One stemmed from it, and the other wants to reclaim in the name of. Figured they could work together.

I also put Scavengers at +25 to most "normal" factions. Don't see why they would be waging war against everybody. I get the impression they are just humble scavs, looking for some salvage and a path in life.

ORA, claims that while they dislike the ideals of the Hegemony, they try to avoid conflict with them if necessary. Yet start at war with them. Changed that to Neutral.

Blackrock, made them Neutral to start. Sure, the lore states they have scuffles, but it's one less for them to deal with straight away.

With my recent changes, Hegemony are now down to 10 enemies. Two allies, Independent at 25 (they come across as a faction who would ally with everybody if they could, just for less hassle) and Diable at 50. The rest are Neutral. Still plenty of opportunity for the RNG to declare war against them, but this should alleviate some early game team buggery.

Besides, we could all make up our own lore for each faction. Doesn't mean anything. That's the joy of single-player games and why I'm tinkering with it. ;D

Are you using Nexerelin? Without it factions that start the game hostile stay hostile, but in Nex the Hegemony should eventually make peace with most of its enemies at least.
No, I haven't even gotten around to trying it out yet. I'll have to at some point, though.

I remember having a short rant on this in Discord a month ago. My lines, others' removed:
To be honest, I didn't really notice how anti-Hegemony the mods were until I put them all together (ones that work with the current version, at least), then played for a decent amount of time, to see the utter decimation of practically every fleet and planet.

Personally, I love the Hegemony. Always have done. Not only because of their strength and unity, but also due to designs of the ships themselves (a factor that often dictates how I react toward a faction in the first place, and whether I will use them myself or as experience fodder). Conquest XIV is my absolute favourite. Gives me a space boner.

It would be nice to see some love for them at some point. Even a small supporting faction, could help balance-out the rest of the mods a little.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 02:30:00 AM by Kevin Flemming »

Drokkath

• Captain
  • Xenophilic Mutant Commando
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2018, 12:32:37 PM »

Besides, we could all make up our own lore for each faction. Doesn't mean anything. That's the joy of single-player games and why I'm tinkering with it. ;D

I couldn't agree more, that's exactly one of my main reasons I like the older/classic/DOS-era approach to gaming, lore and storytelling and it is why I like SS as I can play SS with altered/twisted background lore for myself where aliens are a thing but not really widely known other than my alien character making headlines due to large amount of fleets I take down by the dozens to hundreds.

I alter the lore a bit in other games too like in the original first two X-Com games that can be played with OpenXcom these days. I've grown to the point where I feel often that I need to experience something differently story-wise too so I can have a much better time, relaxation and enjoyment my way and since I'm not competitive I fail to see the charm of grinding, gaining levels and accepting challenges in general. It doesn't necessarily mean I'm bad at playing something, I just approach to things differently. I have tried SS' campaign missions and I can honestly say that I fail to beat 90% of them, just not a strategy person nor a fair-play person as I used to be a couple of years back, same goes for my patience for that matter.

Been traversing around the center of the sector in SS a lot and so I haven't touched Hegemony's worlds in a long while as I get more busy dealing with factions like Luddic Church, Luddic Path, Templars, Persean League, Sindarian Diktat, Tri-Tachyon and occasionally I deal with a few other hostile fleets from various other factions who often aren't even on my termination list. Playing with Nexerlin sure gives sometimes unexpected alliances between factions so I can't tell until I've wiped out a fleet to notice what other factions didn't like it. Which brings me to a point that I somehow have begun to consider Hegemony a lesser evil at the end of the day, wasn't the case originally for me in SS, heh. :-\
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 12:43:22 PM by Drokkath »
For I dipt in to the future, far as my gazer eye could see; Saw the vision of the world, and all the wonder that would be.

Arkar1234

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2018, 09:23:19 PM »

Hegemony declares war on DA in my Diable playthrough... They take Sivie whilst i was busy doing IBBs...

I took half of their systems.
Somewhere... somehow... some when.... there's a Kantai Collection mod for Starsector.....

Null Ganymede

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2018, 01:35:49 AM »

I modded the Nexerelin player faction to something Hegemony-aligned, then roleplayed as plausibly-deniable "rebels" with a low-key Hegemony commission. With enough mods, the playthrough feels more underdog than you'd initially expect.

Not sure what other political positions are compatible with the Hegemony fluff. They seem kind of all-or-nothing.

Sarissofoi

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2018, 06:48:21 AM »

Happen to me too but I am vanilla player so  it was just TT and PL deleting them.