Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Flag captains  (Read 1558 times)

Blothorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
Flag captains
« on: February 13, 2018, 04:21:47 PM »

I have been having similar frustrations with skills to those I have seen others talking about--I feel compelled to spend my points on fleet skills, and then find that I am sometimes best off delegating command of my highest-impact ships to officers with skills to get more out of them. (Particularly likely if your best ships are carriers.)

I propose allowing players to assign an AI officer to their flagship as "flag captain", providing his bonuses (and possibly his personality to autopilot behavior), and allowing the player to take campaign skills and still pilot whichever ship he prefers.

The big negative I can see is that it makes taking combat skills on the PC himself even less attractive (although not completely pointless, as using a flag captain uses an officer who could also be piloting his own ship).

Blothorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Flag captains
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 04:26:42 PM »

Nevermind, did not search well enough before posting: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=12176.msg206956#msg206956. This can probably be closed (I cannot delete it myself).

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 04:35:21 PM »

The last such topic is old enough to be necromancy if disturbed or forgotten if left to rest in pieces.  And yes, with the current build, most personal skills for the fleet commander representing you does not make much sense if you want the most power.  As you wrote, better and more efficient to delegate them to officers, which hurts.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 05:16:59 PM »

While it’s certainly this way for carriers if you haven’t gotten the carrier skils there are a number of ships which are poorly utilized by the AI and that only require a few skills to be quite effective and also serve as fleet head.

Specifically for late game I am thinking of the Odyssey and Conquest. Both of which only really need Helmsmanship 3(so they can keep firing while getting the +50 speed bonus). Though the Odyssey is clearly the better of the two