Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: Blueprints, Doctrine, and Production  (Read 61351 times)

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
Re: Blueprints, Doctrine, and Production
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2018, 03:27:12 AM »

Oooooo BOY! I can't WAIT for this update and to play with what looks like a new high tech toy? Maybe a destroyer or cruiser?

:) Which one are you looking at? I don't *think* there's one fitting that description but possibly I'm mistaken.
Top row second item on the first image. Looks like a high tech ship but I just noticed that fighters have the same BP look as ships so it could be a fighter... Also, will be be able to find BPs in wreckage of ships? How about [REDACTED] fighter BPs? Will they be able to be found?
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2018, 03:29:53 AM »

Does this mean... vanilla implementation of randomized variants?!

I dunno how I feel about the "it could take a full month to get a couple of Light Machine Guns delivered". I guess the player should get used to ordering things ahead of time and buying off the open market if something is needed in a hurry.

For example, there’s a “Low-tech Blueprint Package” that lets the player learn a couple of the more common ships and weapon from that design period. It’s not going to include the Onslaught-class Battleship, but it will include the somewhat less exciting Dominator (cruiser) and Enforcer (destroyer). Unlike the rare single-item blueprints, these will probably be found for sale – more or less reliably, to avoid having to repeatedly sift through markets looking for one.
Runtime generated lootboxes?

(not entirely serious)

The monthly production capacity depends on how much Heavy Industry the player’s colonies have.
Does availability of ship parts, metals, etc. affect capacity?

Embercloud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2018, 03:51:53 AM »

Will it be possible to alter the appearance of your ships?

For instance, the wolf exists in various different sprites (TT, hegemony, neutral, damaged to various degrees and pirate)

Will you be able to swap between these or alter the appearance of your ship sprites somehow?

A color variable area on ships would be nice so that you can change the color by a palette

Jonlissla

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2018, 04:08:48 AM »

Starsector blog posts are the best blog posts. It feels weird seeing all this new stuff since it's been ingrained in my mind as "distant future" content. Now there's exploration, outposts, officers, ship and weapon manufacturing, missions and who knows what else. It's a gigantic leap you've made and it's hard to believe how far the game has come. I'm also quite curious as to what's next, all the stuff that has been added lately and this future update is what the community has requested the most since the game was publically available. The only thing I can think of would be expanded diplomacy and dialogue.

Dare I say that Starsector is going towards the status of feature complete?

Althaea

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2018, 04:19:41 AM »

Dare I say that Starsector is going towards the status of feature complete?

I mean, the version numbers aren't decorative.  :P

WastedAlmond

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2018, 04:36:48 AM »

Will it be possible to alter the appearance of your ships?

For instance, the wolf exists in various different sprites (TT, hegemony, neutral, damaged to various degrees and pirate)

Will you be able to swap between these or alter the appearance of your ship sprites somehow?

A color variable area on ships would be nice so that you can change the color by a palette

A tint mask would be really nice to have. It would require the devs to go through every sprite and mask in the tint able areas and could, depending on how its executed, require the masked areas to be grayscale. Though there are games that tint colored surfaces quite well also.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2018, 04:55:15 AM »

This is shaping up nicely.

And yes, while a personal faction hullmod might be a bit much, a choice for a faction paintjob along with a banner would be a very cool thing.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2018, 05:22:31 AM »

It'd be a shame if some pirates stole your Hyperion blueprint and took it back to their base, wouldn't it?
If pirates can steal stuff from our colonies, can we do the same to others' (that are our enemies), either by subterfuge or direct combat?

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2018, 07:10:54 AM »

Adding to Megas question, is colony and faction interaction (as in, attacking other stations, taking over colonies and being able to dominate the sector) a feature planned for this release at all? This sounds more like something for 1.0 while this release would only cover the basis of the system.

Inventor Raccoon

• Captain
  • Digging through trash for a hydroflux catalyst
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2018, 07:11:01 AM »

Top row second item on the first image. Looks like a high tech ship but I just noticed that fighters have the same BP look as ships so it could be a fighter... Also, will be be able to find BPs in wreckage of ships? How about [REDACTED] fighter BPs? Will they be able to be found?
Protip: fighter blueprints have a slightly different exterior and a triangle in their background. Also, that's a Claw blueprint.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2018, 08:36:37 AM »

Interesting, I expected something different for the blueprints. In particular the fact that they can be learned and effectively "duplicated" in every player owned shipyard seems to go directly againt the premise of the blog:

Copying these is difficult-to-impossible, and their dwindling supply contributes to the gradual decline of the Sector.

I was expecting something more like "shipyard loadouts" akin to the carriers, where blueprints are an object you have to mount in production slots of the right class or above, and balanced by a similar system as Ordinance Points. (And obviously upgrading the shipyard would have raised the amount of "OP", the production slot sizes and their number). Blueprint packages would have fitted such system perfectly.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2018, 08:50:03 AM »

Well the player character is special.

Maybe we have a domain era copy-paste tool, the only one in the sector.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2018, 08:50:24 AM »

I was expecting something more like "shipyard loadouts" akin to the carriers, where blueprints are an object you have to mount in production slots of the right class or above, and balanced by a similar system as Ordinance Points. (And obviously upgrading the shipyard would have raised the amount of "OP", the production slot sizes and their number). Blueprint packages would have fitted such system perfectly.
Yeah I was expecting the same thing.maybe something more abstract than OP system(max quality rating?) but treating blueprints as mountable items.

I mean the lore serves to support the mechanics and not the other way around, but in some point the lore becomes premises and ties with the mechanics to become one and I think this is one of such instances.

A blueprint, any blueprint, should be rare and precious to player, which current system doesn't support at all. Like that second/third/nth ITU modspec I find now and then not getting the awe and respect as much as the first one :P

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2018, 08:58:13 AM »

If the number of player-owned colonies, let alone shipyards, can be counted on both hands, one-blueprint-for-all is probably is not much of a problem.  From the looks of administrators, player probably will not be able to own enough colonies for magical blueprints to be a big deal.  (I expect the 1-UP Alpha core administrators to steal your bases sooner or later, and if true, that would be useful for devious purposes, though not for long-term governing.)

That would put a damper of taking over enemy colonies, if player already has max colonies.  Just take all the rare shinies you want and burn the rest of the enemy colony to the ground.

Another question:  If player grants a colony autonomy, or if an enemy steals one of your colonies, does your formerly-owned colony use your blueprints and resources to produce items, or do they immediately swap to the new owner's pool of resources?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 09:03:44 AM by Megas »

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2018, 09:25:15 AM »

That also goes my way though: If colonies are just a money-to-ship converter, loosing one might not be such a big deal. But if they also have some rare and shiny blueprint chips loaded in their factory, now you may want to protect them at all cost or at least long enough to extract them and retreat!

I would also prevent having many "cheap" colonies just there to churn out weapons and that one ship you were lucky to find the blueprint of.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 09:27:17 AM by Tartiflette »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11