Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

Author Topic: Blueprints, Doctrine, and Production  (Read 62023 times)

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile
Re: Blueprints, Doctrine, and Production
« Reply #90 on: February 14, 2018, 03:34:14 PM »

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

Oh wait, I already bought the game. How do I make it come faster?

------

Looking forward to it.
I think is easy for Simba and Mufasa sing the Circle of Life when they're on the top of the food chain, I bet the zebras hate that song.

Cigarettes are a lot like hamsters. Perfectly harmless, until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire

Kirschbra

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 14, 2018, 04:32:32 PM »

It's a pretty well known fact that given the opportunity, players will optimize the fun out.

Guilty

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 14, 2018, 06:16:04 PM »

Guilty as charged, too.

Techhead

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 14, 2018, 06:30:39 PM »

How do blueprints work with Condors and buffalo/mudskipper/colossus mkII's? I don't imagine it'd quite make sense for them to be built from scratch like the rest of 'em?
My guess is that you start building a Tarsus/Buffalo/Mudskipper/Colossus, skip a few steps, and then start installing refit systems.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 14, 2018, 07:15:03 PM »

How do blueprints work with Condors and buffalo/mudskipper/colossus mkII's? I don't imagine it'd quite make sense for them to be built from scratch like the rest of 'em?
My guess is that you start building a Tarsus/Buffalo/Mudskipper/Colossus, skip a few steps, and then start installing refit systems.
It might also require you have both BPs but many of those "base" BP's look like the ones we will start off with. Speaking of which, hey Alex, will we need both the normal AND the XIV BPs in order to make XIV ships (and other "skin ships")? Let's say I get lucky and find an XIV Onslaught BP really early but I don't have the original BP, can I still make it?

Also, will battles ever cough up BPs or "parts" of one? Or will a system be put into place for modders to add something like that in?
Another thing: Will the codex list what a ship is classified as for both BPs and Fleet Doctrine?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 07:16:46 PM by Midnight Kitsune »
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 14, 2018, 07:39:13 PM »

So just to be clear, ALL production is based purely on credits and time? You won't need 400 units of metals and 200 heavy machinery in a stockpile to produce an Onslaught?

I dunno, part of me seems like this would be a good way to give commodities more...oomph!

Inventor Raccoon

• Captain
  • Digging through trash for a hydroflux catalyst
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 14, 2018, 07:41:28 PM »

So just to be clear, ALL production is based purely on credits and time? You won't need 400 units of metals and 200 heavy machinery in a stockpile to produce an Onslaught?

I dunno, part of me seems like this would be a good way to give commodities more...oomph!
Seems like you'd need a source of those materials if you wanted good production quality. Forcing the player to ferry commodities over to outposts every time you want to build something isn't much better than needing to scour every market for the ship you want.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 14, 2018, 07:48:32 PM »

Should XIV ships even be buildable? The description specifically says it is one of the original survivors of the battlegroup....

Gameplay-wise, I like the idea of the Hegemony, being the ancient "empire" figure that they are, have some long lost technology that no one else can ever get. Lore-wise, I think at least there should be a rewriting of the XIV description
mmm.... tartiflette

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
« Reply #98 on: February 14, 2018, 08:00:47 PM »

The description says that an XIV modification requires drydock facility of Domain-era tech level, yeah
But maybe auxilliaries?

Dostya

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 14, 2018, 08:29:26 PM »

I like the plan that blueprints are learned faction wide, and aren't stored anywhere that the player has to worry about. If they were planet by planet, bound to those planets and could be lost, that would create certain incentives. I think my initial plan would involve maximized planetary defense, maximized heavy industry/shipyards, and a few expendable resource colonies in or out-system to feed it. I'd also make sure to plant several (ideally 5+) more mostly self-sufficient colonies around the system to spam more defense and patrol fleets out to bog down attackers further. I'd gamble on the fleet output by the high end planet to provide enough backbone for the spam to make the system largely self-defending, or at least enough to manage to defend itself for me to return to handle especially problematic sorts. Also, no AI Cores allowed in that system. Even in storage. Mostly because losing all my hard-gained blueprints would be an...unacceptable outcome.

Speaking of, patrol fleets. It seems that larger planets don't send out patrols to aid more isolated planets in other systems where they probably should. It'd make sense, or be appreciated depending on Alpha Core RNG doing Bad Things (TM) to colonies, to be able to have one colony send patrols to another's defense (ideally to be done automatically, really, especially with same-faction colonies in the same system). Also, on that note, it'd also make sense if the player faction goes carrier heavy, factions at war with them would increase the number of anti-fighter ships in their compositions. And vice versa for capital ships, etc. Maybe something to think about for two or three releases from now since fleet composition is going to be adjustable in-game. Granted, each faction would have 'preferred' fleet comps to default to even if they change in response to enemy doctrine, but it'd increase vanilla variety especially after the AI factions have fought a few wars with each other.

The apparent continued existence of marines alongside Alpha Core administrators doing *something* to colonies leads me to suspect that there'll be a reconquest mechanic implemented on Alpha Core colonies. Couple that with a population loss during the rebellion and an immigration malus for a time afterwards, and it'd be a proportionate disincentive to simply slap Alphas on everything. Permanently losing colonies with Alphas in play on, what seems to be sold as, bad RNG just seems a bit too harsh to be plausible to me. Or I'd find a way to mod it out, because that would just be uncool.

Techhead

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 14, 2018, 08:31:22 PM »

From what I can gather, I think that the Orbital Works facility turn Metals and Heavy Machinery into "Ship Parts and Weapons" (seen in recent development screenshots as the little Hound symbol in the commodity list) which is in turn converted into the faction's fleets (and players' custom orders).

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 14, 2018, 08:53:01 PM »

Ah, okay, so commodities to build ships do indeed need to be sourced from somewhere but they go through a layer of abstraction that the player has little control over. So a colony with zero access to metals will never be able to produce ships and weapons then.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 14, 2018, 09:08:49 PM »

Probably not, but that's up to the player.

A world without access to trade for metals is also likely a world without access to trade for anything, which would be very bad for taxes.

To begin with you might want a colony within range of the core worlds, or to use a waystation to link you to them so you can get imports.

The overtime build up your economy utilizing the blueprints that you can copy but the other powers can't to the point of eclipsing them and eventually removing them entirely. Assuming that will ever be possible.

The just colonize the whole rest of the sector and rule as the emperor of the second great human domain!
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 14, 2018, 09:30:01 PM »

Aaah, I'm so excited for all of this!

Question: will the aggression rating we put in our doctrine effect the officers available for hire? I would love to have a staff of loyal officers coming from my own colony, all trained to be fearless in battle.

Another question about aggression: you mention that it effects the default, non-officered ships of that faction. Will that be true for my fleet as well? So by setting my aggression all the way up I can sacrifice wave after wave of suicidal multi-D mod ships?

Also, whats this Paladin PD system weapon I see? Rework of the Guardian?

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 14, 2018, 10:32:53 PM »

I personally think that 14th ships (and similar things) should not be able to be constructed by the player. Fitting lore wise, and also making it so that maybe some faction ships can only be bought and scavenged, not manufactured by the player creates consequences for choices made.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 10:35:19 PM by MesoTroniK »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11