Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Zen and the Art of Battlestation Construction  (Read 22505 times)

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
Re: Zen and the Art of Battlestation Construction
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2018, 11:19:06 AM »

Gotta say, anything referencing Sid’s work on Blade Runner gets a big thumb’s-up over here :)

Seriously, I cannot wait to blow these things up, defend them, etc.

One crazy idea, though; why not make these battles multi-stage?  Like:

Stage one:  engage defense fleet.

Stage two:  penetrate minefield under fighter attack.

Stage three:  fight station, remaining defense fleet elements, etc.

It’d give battles more drama and eat CR clock without being just endless-seeming waves.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

c plus one

• Commander
  • 'Make Jumpgates Great Again!'
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2018, 02:48:35 PM »

One crazy idea, though; why not make these battles multi-stage?  Like:

Stage one:  engage defense fleet.

Stage two:  penetrate minefield under fighter attack.

Stage three:  fight station, remaining defense fleet elements, etc.

It’d give battles more drama and eat CR clock without being just endless-seeming waves.

Not crazy at all. Instead, I say "YES PLEASE".

This would add a highly-relevant flavour of spice to the tactical stew. I would welcome the necessity of fighting consecutive, classic "approach battles" on the way to getting to knife-duelling range of the battlestation itself. Fighting against fixed immobile fortifications should be significantly different from Starsector's basic ship-vs-ship combat in thought-provoking ways that go beyond our expectations.

Just one concrete example of such, among many others:
Temporary blocking terrain - in the form of a few hulks of previously-destroyed attacker ships - would be a minor navigational hazard for the player's attacking ships while also providing some short-term cover against sniper fire coming from the battlestation. I would like to have to metaphorically thread the eye of the needle on my way to a VERY carefully-executed maybe-victory.

A look towards another example:
<a new hope>
(Attacking ships involuntarily bucking, yawing & losing some speed as they close in on the battlestation)
"We're passing through their interdiction magnetic field; hold tight!"
</a new hope>
 ;)

Currently holding additional suggestions in reserve...
Quote from: Lopunny Zen
you are playing them wrong then..

Don't tell me I'm playing anything wrong in a singleplayer sandbox game. Just don't.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2018, 02:57:46 PM »

Agreed.  I like a three-battle system, because then it creates some tension and buildup; taking on a Station ought to feel fundamentally different than fighting a fleet; it's a strategic-level target, after all, and destroying it is a major event, even if it's a low-end Pirate Station (man, I can't wait until hidden Pirate bases are actually a thing). 

None of it needs to be utterly novel or involve major new code, either; probably most of this can use things that are already built and minimal new content; I don't think this will wreck Alex's current timetable and it'd add a lot of flavor to that part of the game.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]